1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What to wear to a "business casual" job interview

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by southbound35, Apr 20, 2006.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

I currently work in banking and wear a suit/tie Monday-Thursday and dress pants/company-logo shirt on Friday.

Tomorrow, I have an interview for a company whose dress code is "business casual". Since the interview is on Friday, I assume the staff there will be dressed down somewhat.

Any suggestions on what to wear?

2. hughjoen

hughjoen Active Member

Full business attire (Dark suit, tie, clean shirt, polished shoe, etc.). Even though, company might be business casual, you should dress up for interview.
    Good Luck.

3. thmeky

thmeky Member

4. hughjoen

hughjoen Active Member

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

ditto - business casual is a trap on a job interview.

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Full business attire (Dark suit, tie, clean shirt, polished shoe, etc.). Even though, company might be business casual, you should dress up for interview.
    Good Luck.

yup seconded or thirded or whatever we are up to motion carried.

7. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Good Luck.

Fourthed!

8. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

If this is an interview at another firm in the banking industry, then I agree with everyone else and wear the suit and tie.

If you are interviewing out of the industry you might have some more freedom. For example, I work in sales in the fashion industry. I am currently negotiating with a new company for a sales management position. I did not wear a suit and tie to any of my interviews and it obviously hasn't been an issue. In fact if I had worn a suit and tie I actually think it would have hurt my chances.

So I guess what I am saying is, if you know what appropriate business casual attire is for the company you are interviewing with then I think you can wear it on the interview, if you don't (and by asking the question you've addmitted you do not) then stick with the suit and tie.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

I agree with wearing the suit/tie for the interview as well - need to look professional (assuming you're lateralling over into a similar industry). Even though the employees at the office you're interviewing at are dressed business casual, they have the job there, you don't. I don't think it matters if you're dressed up more than they are. They understand you're interviewing, and if you dressed up business casual to be more inline with them, they could always think, "Who does he think he is?"

Besides, doesn't being in a suit make you feel more confident and more yourself considering you wear it a majority of the time anyway?

10. neal9099

neal9099 New Member

Wear a solid-colored, conservative suit, a long-sleeved shirt that matches well with the suit and a professional tie.Your hair should be professional and well-groomed.

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

i have an informal meeting with a recruiter from a consulting firm (booz&co, if it matters) and the dress is "business casual." it's a lunch meeting and there will be other prospects.

i'm in college.

what the fuck does that mean?

counselor suggest i wear a a suit with no tie, but tbh i dont think that sounds good.

12. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

I haven't been on a real job interview in almost 10 years. My job switches have all been as part of a team, so no interviews were required. Do people still carry their resumes in those leather portfolios? I heard some 20-somethings recently talking about taking thumb drives on interviews and laughing about someone they saw with a portfolio. I thought maybe the interviewing environment has changed.

13. wEstSidE

IME the padfolio is still popular.

14. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Well-Known Member

The answer is always "a suit". It doesn't matter if it's Casual Friday or Hawaiin Shirt Monday or Birthday-Suit Wednesday; a professional-looking suit.

15. doublemazaa

doublemazaa Well-Known Member

Suit sounds good if that's what you think those people wear the rest of the week. If the industry is more informal, you might skip the suit and go a little more relaxed. I work in advertising so a lot of my interviews are nice jeans, polished shoes, and a dress shirt.

Also depends on where you live. NY/DC will be more formal across the board. Here in Seattle wearing a suit would be overkill in many business situations.

16. wEstSidE

this isn't an interview, it's just lunch. more like an info session.

17. East Oakland

East Oakland Well-Known Member

i have an informal meeting with a recruiter from a consulting firm (booz&co, if it matters) and the dress is "business casual." it's a lunch meeting and there will be other prospects.

i'm in college.

what the fuck does that mean?

counselor suggest i wear a a suit with no tie, but tbh i dont think that sounds good.

Keeping in mind that I live in CA, which is very casual, I would suggest a navy blazer with khakis and a button down oxford shirt as a compromise. I think wearing a suit to an event where you were told to dress business casual can be risky in its own right -- it may suggest that you can't follow instructions.

18. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

The answer is always "a suit". It doesn't matter if it's Casual Friday or Hawaiin Shirt Monday or Birthday-Suit Wednesday; a professional-looking suit.

this^^^.

19. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Always wear a suit to a job interview.

If you arrive and it looks oh so business casual, including the search commitee, if you are feeling like the odd one out, bring a bag with you to place your suit jacket and tie into it. Unbutton top button, and voila, semi casual.

Even if you were interviewing for a job at a nudist camp, you should still wear a suit - except this time it will be a birthday suit rather than a dark navy or gray one.

20. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

I live in CA as well, LA region - which is incredibly casual.

The last business casual interview I had to goto I just wore a Charcoal Suit - sans tie.