1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What to wear to a "business casual" job interview

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by southbound35, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Bartolo

Bartolo Well-Known Member

this^^^.

That ^^^.

My company is business-casual 5 days per week, but I would have been laughed out of there and certainly not hired if I hadn't worn a suit to each interview.

2. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

DO ANY OF YOU READ? IT'S NOT A JOB INTERVIEW.

3. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

Oops sorry, I thought it was still about the OP post. Didn't realize it was hijacked in a different direction.

i have an informal meeting with a recruiter from a consulting firm (booz&co, if it matters) and the dress is "business casual." it's a lunch meeting and there will be other prospects.

i'm in college.

what the fuck does that mean?

counselor suggest i wear a a suit with no tie, but tbh i dont think that sounds good.

I would still go with my advice - wear a non-pinstripe suit, no tie. I never liked Navy suits, so I would still recommend Charcoal.

4. ktrp

ktrp Well-Known Member

For OP, the simple answer is 'a suit'. My company is business casual or even lower most of the time, but when we visit clients, we wear a suit. So we'd like to see the candidates dress in one. For positions that are entry level and not dealing with clients, we're forgiving if they don't have one, but a suit is better then no suit, and for an experienced worker, not wearing one would basically tell us 'no client service potential'.

I live in Toronto, and my firm does analytics/consulting in the pension space.

If you really believe you should be less formal, someone on this board once suggested checking out how people were dressed on the company website. That's the image they expect you to be able to project. That 'trick' would work with my company - you see people in the office in jeans, but the website is nothing but suits.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

YEAH WE READ DICKHEAD! HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT IT IS BIZNESS CASUAL? DOOSCHE BAGS UNDERDRESS!

6. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

YEAH WE READ DICKHEAD! HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT IT IS BIZNESS CASUAL? [​IMG] DOOSCHE BAGS UNDERDRESS!

+ 1

7. wEstSidE

because i asked. i also read other websites about what this means. i came and asked here because i know some people actually worked in the field.

have you ever seen the movie Step Brothers? i imagine you're like those fucks, you wear tuxedos.

8. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

because i asked. i also read other websites about what this means. i came and asked here because i know some people actually worked in the field.

have you ever seen the movie Step Brothers? i imagine you're like those fucks, you wear tuxedos.

My company is based in CA, it is business casual all the time, no one ever wears suits. BUT, in an interview you are expected to wear a suit. If you are meeting to discuss things it's STILL an interview. I don't know the reason NOT to wear a suit, what is the worst that can happen if you are overdressed? If you wind up being under-dressed then you can have problems so always err on the side of overdressed.

9. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Well-Known Member

THIS ISN'T YOUR THREAD. MOST OF US WEREN'T TALKING TO YOU.

Most of us were responding to the OP. But since you insist... No matter what they call it, it's a job interview. You will be having lunch with a person from whom you would like a job, and surrounded by other people who also want that job. That's a group job interview. It might be "informal", but you will b judged, and whether you progress to a "formal" interview from here depends on the impression you make at lunch.

Now, consider the following scenarios:

1) You're the only one wearing a suit. The other candidates might resent you, but you will appear to be taking this more seriously than anyone else. Any smart interviewer will see this.

2) Everyone is wearing a suit and so are you. The playing field is level. Time to bring it.

3) You're the only one not wearing a suit. Might as well put your roast beef sandwich in a doggie bag and head home.

Unless you're having lunch at Burger King and you somehow know for a fact that everyone else is going to show up in jeans+t-shirt, you're always better off being over-dressed when interviewing, no matter how informally.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Even if they don't say so.

You will be judged, subconsciously or consciously, at every single one of these events. A lunch info session is not just about giving you information, it's also about helping them figure out who fits in. It's an attempt to get you more relaxed and off guard, so they can get a better handle on personality.

One should still dress to impress. Suit up.

Also, to those responding to the OP: This thread is from 2006. The OP has long since been hired or turned down. It's been hijacked, answer the current question or don't bother.

11. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

I work in management consulting and the office dress code is busines casual. Job interviews are usually on Fridays and everyone in the office will be dressed sans jacket/tie EXCEPT for the interviewer and hopefully all interviewees (clearly a minus if someone shows up in business casual).

So wear full business dress!!!

12. wEstSidE

thanks cptjeff, i see how you're looking at the problem and i appreciate the solid answer. AlexE, thanks for responding. i'm interested in hearing more about what you think. this is NOT an interview. it's a lunch/information session with a partner at booz&co and there will be about 5 of us. it is on a friday. if you still think i should go with a suit and tie, i will definitely heed your advice.

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    You have three options:

1) blending in/disappearing with other biz casual;
    2) standing out because you are under-dressed;
    3) standing out because you are over-dressed

Pick 1.