• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time do you wake up for work?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5:30 if sober. 6ish if hungover.
So usually 6:30.

What's your trick to waking up on time and reliably when hammered previous night? Seems to be minimal sleep...

My problem is it'll g'dam knock me out the next morning if I let go too far and need to be up the next day. So unfortunately the practical side keeps the drunkeness from slipping tooo far.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What's your trick to waking up on time and reliably when hammered previous night? Seems to be minimal sleep...
My problem is it'll g'dam knock me out the next morning if I let go too far and need to be up the next day. So unfortunately the practical side keeps the drunkeness from slipping tooo far.

I have a really loud and annoying alarm clock. I've somehow managed to train myself to get up when I hear it no matter my condition. A shower and lots of coffee helps, somewhat.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My alarm is set for 6 but I usually am up by 5 or 5:30 where I stare at the clock and get the worse napping ever.

I try to get to work by 7:30.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Reading this thread it seems to me that affluence is highly predictive of what time a person rises. Probably a ****** sample universe but still interesting.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Wake up at 5:30. Then get ready, wake up the wife, help get the baby ready and drive him to day care. Then drive to work.

nayr1982

Reaction score
5:30 wake up, check to see if there are waves worth getting out of bed for...then either up or back to sleep until 7:30

ceclothier

Reaction score
Go out "networking" almost every night. Get to bed around 2-3am and wake up at 9-10am depending on how aggressive the previous night was. Go to the gym for an hour then start work around noon. Work till about 10pm. Rinse and repeat. I'm 23 and self-employed so get to set my schedule and this works pretty well for me.

ceclothier

Reaction score
Go out "networking" almost every night. Get to bed around 2-3am and wake up at 9-10am depending on how aggressive the previous night was. Go to the gym for an hour then start work around noon. Work till about 10pm. Rinse and repeat. I'm 23 and self-employed so get to set my schedule and this works pretty well for me.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Stuff doesn't start happening here until later...(although I have a friend at a competitor and they have to be in at 8:30...although most of them just come in late every day). My assumption would be that we have a bunch of clients who start at more like 8-8:30. Then they spend half an hour warming up before requests come in. This means that our senior staff don't need to be in until 9 when clients might want something. Since they aren't in until 9, people down on my level have to wait another half hour before they start handing out work.
But really...the nature of our work is such that any "extra" work outside of the 9-5 work week is going to happen after 5 or on weekends. I can count on one hand the number of times I have *had* to work before 9...the most recent two were once when I had to go to a client's office at 7:30 to go through some stuff with them before their own people arrived for the morning meeting and another time where I got out of the shower to an emergency request to run some analysis and just stayed home until it was finished and went into the office at 10.
I'm not big on the mornings...so this works pretty well for me, but sometimes I am envious of friends with early start times who don't have to work outside of work hours...one's a trader who works east coast hours and has junior people to clean up after him so he can be out the door at 3:30 and another works in IT for a coffee chain so he starts an hour before the earliest stores open and stays until the early afternoon with little to no obligation outside of those hours.

This makes sense. I suppose for those of you who are client-driven, you're not going to start working at the moment the clients start their day, so the there's going to be a delay.

Either way, I need to get one of those jobs, both because one of my career goals is in a client-driven field, and because I am not, by any stretch of the term, a morning person.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually wake up around 4:00 a.m. and hit the gym or run before I get to work at 7:30 a.m. On days I don't work out, I still usually get up around 5:00 or just before. I'm an early riser by nature and will use that time to putter around the house or walk into town for coffee and/or some breakfast.

pfurey

Reaction score
10am-noon, usually. unless I've got something on the schedule early in the morning, but it's rare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads