• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a Tom Ford suit?

KonkreteKhaos

Reaction score
I know tom ford suits are fully canvased. I know some of the details that make their brand. They have wide lapels from 4-5 inches, milanese buttonholes on the lapel, barchetta breast pocket, under collar is the fabric of the suit, bottom sleeve button stitching is slightly longer then the rest. I'm pretty sure I missed a few cosmetic details. Sorry if this is a noob question. I did do research prior but I thought I might get more information here.

Stugotes

Reaction score
The cut is definitely the most obvious characteristic of what makes a TF suit. It was what drew me to them in first place - for an athletic build, they're perfect.

Quote:
No, there are actually models with rather slim lapels. The lookbook on the website usually shows only one model per season, though, so it's an common misled impression.

Capitano

Reaction score
A Tom Ford suit is whatever he commissions Zegna Couture to do for him. His suits have a wide range i.e. his normal wear vs. w/e that **** was in Skyfall.

TF suits are nice because the handwork Zegna puts into them, not because of his cuts (personal opinion).
"That **** was in Skyfall "!!!!!

Can you elaborate more on that please ?!

Quarks

Reaction score
The cut was definitely the main reason. Among the details mentioned above and I particularly fancy the buttoned cuffs on the trousers. I am unsure what the regulars of Tom Ford think about the recent cuts of the suits but I am pulling myself away from them as of late. The Base A suits are no longer what they used to be. The new Base A/ Fit A - as they called it now - are going towards mostly slimmer lapels, and mostly notch - at least here in Australia and Hong Kong. The newer cuts - Fit W, Fit S, etc just does not do it for me. Fits too slim for my liking, losing that classic look of the early Tom Ford suits. Talk about a drastic change in direction.

Stugotes

Reaction score
The cut was definitely the main reason. Among the details mentioned above and I particularly fancy the buttoned cuffs on the trousers. I am unsure what the regulars of Tom Ford think about the recent cuts of the suits but I am pulling myself away from them as of late. The Base A suits are no longer what they used to be. The new Base A/ Fit A - as they called it now - are going towards mostly slimmer lapels, and mostly notch - at least here in Australia and Hong Kong. The newer cuts - Fit W, Fit S, etc just does not do it for me. Fits too slim for my liking, losing that classic look of the early Tom Ford suits. Talk about a drastic change in direction.

I have never heard of any other fits/models other than A - F. But then again, I've only checked in Germany, Italy and the UK. I had an Base F from the 2012 summer collection and it still had strong shoulders and chest, a nipped waist and big lapels.

We are defiantly gonna need a third opinion here cause I can't believe anybody is saying this.

The main reason people where targeting the movie was for watch Daniel Craig's clothes.

lurker[1].gif

emiristol

Reaction score
We are defiantly gonna need a third opinion here cause I can't believe anybody is saying this.

The main reason people where targeting the movie was for watch Daniel Craig's clothes.

Why are you writing in bold?

Literally all of his suits were too small for him. The only thing that even remotely fit him well was that navy coat he wore to the museum.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why are you writing in bold?

Literally all of his suits were too small for him. The only thing that even remotely fit him well was that navy coat he wore to the museum. 

+1

Its been well established that the suits looked awful on him.

Where to start?

- Collar gap
- Bowing at the chest
- Too tight in the waist

Capitano

Reaction score
Wow, it looks like I am out numbered here.

I can't think of anything wrong with that for example:

The suits were too slim to make it appropriate for a more casual occasion and for an action movie. It would have been silly to watch Daniel Craig doing all those action scenes in a classic fitting suit, wouldn't it ?!

Man of Wealth and Taste

Reaction score

I can't think of anything wrong with that for example:
The jacket is too short and clearly too tight.
The suits were too slim to make it appropriate for a more casual occasion and for an action movie. It would have been silly to watch Daniel Craig doing all those action scenes in a classic fitting suit, wouldn't it ?!
I don't even understand this line of reasoning. What made the scenes in Skyfall a more casual occasion? As for action scenes, Daniel Craig is in good shape and built like a brawler, you don't need to stuff him into a sausage casing suit to showcase it. It actually makes it look worse.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads