• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Styleforum Wearing: 4.23.2013

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Member: Prurient
Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: One of the porcupines that Zizek borrowed from Schopenhauer

Do you ever get the feeling that you’re watching life through a TV? That what you’re seeing isn’t real? Prurient doesn’t have that feeling. Every ultra-cool, sepia-tinged moment is viewed through beautiful rose-tinted lenses. He could kick your ass at beer pong. And ping-pong. And beard pong. Yeah, ruckus brung. Do you see that self-satisfied smirk? That happiness could be yours – all you need to do is take his hand and, well, fight a bear, probably. With a 40 of OE duct-taped to each hand. Listen, that photo doesn’t even have a filter, that’s just how his life looks.

You’ve got a great take on urban wear, mostly because it’s not very, uh, urban. How do you go about bringing retro-future outdoorsman swag to the big city?:

I tend to develop nostalgia when presented with snapshots of bohemia. I miss a time when youngsters were angry, intellectual and stylish. I feel like those are the images that inspire the pastiche that characterizes some Japanese brands. You can't really pinpoint a specific aesthetic, it seems like everything goes. I like that because you can see all the references (San Francisco Beats, East Village hippies, UK Folk weirdos, German radicals of the 70s, etc.) but what they put together is somehow new and weird. I don't think there's anything futuristic there, but I love how playful they are with past references. I try to play the same game, with my own taste.

The Goods:

Jacket: Post Overalls
Shirt: Post Overalls
Pants: MHL
Shoes: Yuketen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member: Ghostface
Original WAYWT post here

LL

LL

SPOILER]

What this looks like: A time-traveling antique salesman who is far, far more interesting than you’ll ever be.

You turn a corner, sprinting flat-out down an alleyway behind Khan el-Khalili, when you see this guy leaning in a doorway. He catches your eye, nods once towards the interior of his shop. You slide to a stop and duck inside, where you are met with a vast collection of antique goods. He hides you in a roll of carpet and goes back to his door-frame. You hear him telling your pursuers that he saw you running in the opposite direction, in fluent Arabic. Later he serves you araq, switches to English, and tells you what you did wrong: You’re not that special; pretty girls don’t just buy you drinks at local watering holes.

How do you develop an eye for pieces that have such personality?

I've developed whatever aesthetic sense I have just by looking at a lot and experimenting a lot. I mean, I've always been interested in aesthetics and design, but for most of my life I'd been deeply ambivalent about how I dressed. However, I really enjoy the playfulness, creativity, and visceral experience of clothing the body. For example, the scarf is a long scrap of boro fabric that I picked up in Kyoto last summer. It's around 100 years old, hand-loomed cotton, natural indigo-dyed, and sports numerous holes and patches that have been hand-repaired via sashiko stitching. I found it in a small gallery owned by a wonderful woman named Kei Kawasaki, who supplies Haruki Nakamura (the designer of Visvim) with many of the antique Japanese workwear garments he uses in research for his own collections.

The Goods:

Antique boro scarf
Comme des Garcons Homme Plus boiled wool jacket
Folk flecked cotton shirt
Helmut Lang moleskin pants
Guidi calf boots

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member: ManOfKent
Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: Lock, Stock, and Captain Haddock on the High Seas

Ah, the sea. The salt spray, the rolling waves…You’re right, it’s ******* terrifying. There are squid down there the size of, like, a bus. And flying sharks. Yeah, you watch the Discovery Channel. The motherfucking ocean is not where you want to be. Unless you’ve got this guy captaining your vessel, who looks like a cross between a Her Majesty’s Royal Admiral and a Guy Ritchie kingpin. More importantly, he looks like he knows what he’s doing. He also looks like he’s probably broken a few fingers in his lifetime. Probably shouldn’t say anything about his ****** boat. He might beat you to death with a seal.

How would you describe your style? And where can I get a wall like that?

I am from the land of warm beer (well, technically it should be at cellar temperature - just a few degrees cooler than room temperature) and changeable weather (not that I ever mention the weather). Yes, I'm English. I grew up reading Rupert annuals rather than Peanuts, watching Dr. Who, re-runs of The Avengers and repeats of Ealing comedies. I don't dislike Americana and will sometimes don something that is clearly born of American heritage rather than English, and I'm also increasingly interested in French heritage beyond the Breton T's, but there's plenty of British clothing history to draw upon for inspiration.

My two most used walls are both brewery buildings. This one is the old Fremlin's brewery, the other Shepherd Neame's (brewing in Faversham since 1679). Faversham has a long brewing history...

The Goods:

Hat: Christy’s
Jacket: Nigel Cabourn Anniversary Tweed
Sweater: S.N.S. Herning
Trousers: Common People
Boots: Tricker’s

Member: TWorksheets
Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: Art-collector meets gallery black-tie in an alternate-dimension Canadian backwoods.

Oh, no. This guy probably knows how to paint. ****, you can’t paint. He can probably do some ceramics to, or something. And…poetry. You’re fucked. Damnit, he’s looking right at the girl you’re with, and she’s looking at him. No. No. What do you do? Stay calm. He’s probably more scared of you than you are of him. Breathe. ****, here he comes. Distract him! Code red! Tell him you like his robe! Where can you get a robe like that? No! It’s too late. He’s talking to her. What’s he saying? Inviting her to a party at his place. Game over, man. Defeat. Slink back to your hole. Wait. He’s saying something to you, now. You can’t hear it over the music. You’re invited too? Damn, you’re lucky this dude’s awesome.

Can you tell us a bit about how you put this together?:

I've seen this sort of layering done hundreds of times and never though it would work for me, but sometimes another poster does something you've written off in a new way and it all sort of clicks.

When springtime rolls around, most people pull out the pastels. What’s up?

I wish I had a better answer for this, but the truth is I just don't feel comfortable in loud colours. I don't really like to stand out too much. Weekdays at the office it's whatever is clean and wrinkle-free; weekends and week-nights I might end up trying on 90% of what I own. Making a decision can be agonizing because I like all of my clothes a lot and I don't get to wear them as much as I'd like.

The Goods:

Robe: nonnative
2xT-shirt: Void the Brand
Pants: Club Monaco
Shoes: Vans

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
amen. great stuff. yes recurring feature. also party at tworksheets!

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes

(Actual interviews would be cool? Are these actual interviews!?)

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yes

(Actual interviews would be cool? Are these actual interviews!?)

Yes, these are actual interviews. That, or Synth has just been straight up lying to me. If you are, don't tell me, and I won't know.

spacepope

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any possibility for longer and more involved interviews? I could see something like that working great with someone like Parker or the yohji dudes (yohjidude group interview????)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads