• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.21.2013

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Steveoffice

Original WAYWT here

LL

What this looks like: Good, clean living. That you probably can't afford.

“I can’t believe this,” you say, looking at the remains of your basement. “I was gone three days. Three days!”

“A lot can happen in three days,” says your friend, crossing his arms and smiling a knowing smiling to himself. “Make new friends, see new places - maybe even fall in love.”

You roll your eyes. “Yeah, or your friend can destroy your house. What the hell did you even do down here?”

He waves a hand. “The universe is full of mystery. It is up to us to give it meaning.”

“Seriously. That’s a gondola. Did you raid a ski area? Actually, nevermind. Don’t tell me. ”

“Sometimes,” he says, “one can only accept the gifts the universe bestows.”

“Yeah, well, do you think the universe will bestow new carpeting?”

He frowns. “Well, someone will have to.”

“Not someone. You.”

“How can a man deny an opportunity to impress his mark on the world? I am only human. I chose action.”

“No, if there is one thing you’re not, it’s human. Come on, help me clean up.”

He sighs, flicks his hair back, strokes his chin with his thumb and forefinger.

“I accept,” he finally says. “I shall aid you.”

There’s a banging on the gondola window, and then silence.

“I wouldn’t open that,” he says.

The Goods:

SCARF: FALIERO SARTI
CARDIGAN: STEPHAN SCHNEIDER
SHIRT: JIL SANDER
JEANS: SIKI IM
SHOES: RAF SIMONS

I can’t help but notice your intensely well-curated surroundings. Do you have a philosophy or approach to clothing that extends to all aspects of your life?

OH MY WHAT AN HONOR!

I LIKE POWERLIFTERS. THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT VISUAL AESTHETICS. GO TO A GYM, PUT SOME CHALK ON YOUR HANDS, AND LIFT THINGS OFF THE GROUND. ONLY NUMBERS MATTER. THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindofyoung

Original WAYWT here

LL

What this looks like: Kids these days. Right? Right?

“You don’t want to do this,” you say, backing away slowly, hands raised.

“Oh, but I do,” says your friend. Former friend, you think.

“I trusted you,” you say, “and you betray me?”

“Betrayal is such an ugly word. Think of it as a push in the right direction.” He takes a deliberate step forward, raising his arms.

And there it is. Your darkest secret, kept close for decades, now dragged out into the ugly light of day: you are terrified of cats. Your friend has a mewling, furry shape in each hand; kittens akimbo.

“I’m really allergic,” you say. “Please.”

“You’re not allergic,” he says, towering over you. “And they’re not going to hurt you. C’mon, man, this is ridiculous. You have to get over this if we’re going to live together.”

A buried memory flashes across your vision: Grandmother’s house; broken china; a huge, hissing monster. Burning, bloody lines across your face and hands, your horrified eyes locked on the shattered dish of Fancy Feast.

“No,” you say, and crumple to the floor. “No, no, no.”

The kittens draw inexorably closer. You squeeze your eyes shut as their hideous, feral growling fills your ears. Something soft and warm touches your face, and everything goes dark.

The Goods:

Blazer: Bläck
Hoodie: Elvine
Shirt: Weekday
Jeans: Uniqlo
Sneakers: Blanc&Noir

One of the things I like most about your photo submissions, and your posts in general, is how much fun you seem to be having. What is it about clothing and fashion that's attractive to you?

About 3 years ago I used to have rather low self-esteem, and I also dressed like ****, though I didn’t realize the latter until maybe 2 years ago. Luckily, when I came to that realization it didn’t make me feel even worse, but instead it was simply a problem that needed to be solved as soon as possible. Ever since that I’ve progressively gotten more and more interested in clothing, in the beginning just to get away from who I used to be and nowadays to…express myself? I’m honestly not quite sure why I love it so much, but I think what got me to where I am today was a serious case of ”look good, feel good” and now I’m just experimenting and having fun with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

El Bert

Original WAYWT here

LL

What this looks like: "Fall to't yarely, or we run ourselves aground!"

“What is this made of?” you ask the man, looking at the intricate chess set on the ground in front of you.

“Oh, the bones of my enemies,” he says, moving a knight carved in the shape of a raven. “Don’t lose.”

“Heh. You know, I could almost believe it, out here.” You look out over the ocean from where you’re seated, cross-legged, in the sand. “It’s that kind of place. Very...wild.” The wind howls over the beach, kicking up grit and bending the scrubby grasses sideways. You raise a hand over your eyes, squinting. “You really live here?” The man across from you looks equally wild. Maybe he does sleep in a cave up the beach.

“Right? I like it,” he says. “It’s peaceful. And it never gets too hot. Check.”

“Crap. I knew I shouldn’t have agreed to this.” You stare at the board in consternation. It’s been a while, sure, but you thought you’d be able to handle a friendly game of chess on the beach. Three moves later, it’s all over.

You stand, brushing the sand from your legs. “Well, it’s been fun. I’ve gotta get going, though.” The two of you shake hands and smile, trade a couple of words about the weather, but he doesn’t let go. There’s a glint of something sharp.

“Which finger?”

The Goods:

Coat: H&M
Sweater: Stephan Schneider
Pants: Ute Ploier
Boots: Holders

Most of your photos are set in places I would like to visit. Why the outdoors, instead of the usual phone-in-front-of-mirror shots we see (not that I’m complaining)? Does the idea of travel or exploration at all factor into your wardrobe selections?

I don't think the idea of travel exploration really factors into my wardrobe or location really, but I live in the Bay Area where you can drive like 15 mins in a different place and it'll be 55 degrees and crazy foggy, to 80 warm and breezy. I guess my locations in a way do play into the settings I choose. The Goonies was my favorite movie as a kid and the idea of finding something hidden just around the next beach has always played a part in traveling the coast. It's easy to get around and there always seems to be something new to discover, it might not be a new world discovery but it's a new discovery your own personal world. Something to add on to your own personal map for a new location to get away from stresses in life.

Hsksf11

Original WAYWT here

LL

What this looks like: "The smile on your mouth was the deadest thing/ Alive enough to have strength to die"

You’re standing at the platform, waiting for the airport train to open its doors. The sun is out, but it’s chilly.

“Ever notice how everyone does the same thing when they’re waiting for a train?” You didn’t see where the man behind you came from, and his voice in your ear startles you.

“What do you mean?”

“Everybody shuffles back in forth in the same not-quite-nonchalant way. Trying really hard not to look nervous, you know?” He buries his face in his scarf as the wind picks up, blowing dead leaves down the tracks.

You look around. Just as he says, everyone on the crowded platform is milling about awkwardly, taking exaggerated half-steps while eyeing the train doors, doing their best to appear polite.

“Weird,” you say, leaning on your suitcase.

“Yeah.” He narrows his eyes. “Won’t be so calm once the doors open.”

“Eh?”

“It’s all a lie. When that bell chimes, it’ll be chaos; vicious battles for seats and luggage space. Same thing every day. Some of them get off on the violence now. Oh, they started out like you, righteous and aloof,” he leans in close to you and his voice drops to a menacing whisper, “and then the abyss took them.”

You gulp, looking at your reflection in the glistening black carapace of the commuter train.

The whisper comes again, and you jump despite yourself. “Do you have a seat reserved?”

“Um, yeah,” you say, looking at the tickets in your now-sweaty palm.

“Good. You’re safe then,” he says, shoving his hands into his pockets and gliding away. “See you on the other side.”

The Goods:

Clothes: Robert Geller
Shoes: Robert Geller x Common Projects

I love how comfortable this outfit looks. What do you usually look for in a purchase, and how does Robert Geller – who you appear to admire – fulfill those desires?

As you pointed out, I value comfort when it comes to clothes. Physical comfort is important, but an aspect that I prioritize even more is how comfortable I am in my clothes, not necessarily physically, but mood-wise. I'm having a difficult time articulating this, but I couldn't agree more with BreezyBirch's response from the previous WISFW; after getting dressed, sometimes there's this feeling that the individual pieces in the outfit are in their right places, serving their respective purposes, and at the same time collectively working so well together to give off a certain vibe that's distinctively yours. When I'm dressed like that, I feel more comfortable and confident, and overall just more myself.

With that said, Robert Geller's clothes meet all the criteria that I mentioned above. They fit me well, and exude a certain elegance without losing the edge or being ostentatious. They just work for me. I've tried lots of other things over the past few years, from Engineered Garments to Patrik Ervell, and what I've realized just in the past year is that Geller has been consistently putting out clothes that suit me the way I want clothes to suit me.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What this looks like: Kids these days. Right? Right?

“You don’t want to do this,” you say, backing away slowly, hands raised.

“Oh, but I do,” says your friend. Former friend, you think.

“I trusted you,” you say, “and you betray me?”

“Betrayal is such an ugly word. Think of it as a push in the right direction.” He takes a deliberate step forward, raising his arms.
Sooooo....Synthese is either supernatural or a shapeshifter
Awesome stories like always, and these are the EXACT kind of conversations I have with my friends (0)
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Venser

Reaction score
For some reason I can't see Hsksf11's picture - can anyone upload a mirror to imgur or something?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So if I run into you sometime, I should avoid chess boards.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YOU KNOW THERE ARE MANY KINDS OF POKEMON? DIFFERENT KINDS OF POKEMON CAN LEARN DIFFERENT MOVES. WHAT?!?! YOU WANT TO BATTLE? NO? OH WELL...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics