• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
~Homemade pizza on wholewheat dough with garlic, onions, rosemary porchetta, capicola, red and yellow peppers, and fresh mozzarella and a smoked gouda
~BBQ Chicken breast with homemade dry-rub
~Steamed string beans with a sundried tomato and pesto dressing
~2 yogurt cups for dessert

A.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Jan. 31 2005,13:54) stu, what does the next generation eat when you are eating all the spicy stuff?
I only cook like that when I am alone. Neither the wife nor kid can tolerate the taste of that, or even the smell for that matter. I'm staying at my house in Florida right now on business, so I'm living it up while I do so.
Scotch Bonnet peppers. I remember cooking with those, three years ago, after a visit to a local farmer's market. Not knowing the potency, I used half of one in a Cambodian stir-fry. Husband, father, and two cats had to be evacuated. Everyone coughing and dreading me. My father, who grew up in post-war France and wouldn't let a crumb go to waste, said we could "rescue" the dish. We added rice, more rice, and then red peppers for sweetness. A few tomatoes from the garden were sacrificed. My father was in charge of the burial.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tonight,

Ground chicken and filet mignon kabobs with basamti rice and salad.
Cornish Hen.
Starbucks iced white chocolate mocha.

aarghh

Reaction score
Had lunch at Bouchon in Yountville, so skipped dinner.

Lunch was:

Trotters
Blood Sausage
Phelps Shiraz
Coffee.

Sublime...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bouchon is good stuff, I just ate there in Vegas (apparently Keller was there)

Fabienne,

Have you had Bresse chicken?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne,

Have you had Bresse chicken?
Are you knowingly trying to torture me? Why do you ask such questions, when all supermarkets offer is perdue chicken?

Yes, of course, I've had poulet de Bresse. That's all my mother ever buys.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to smuggle them home - I would go to a market on my way to the airport and get a chicken and some various sausages, once a pheasant, put them in a soft ice pack in my suitcase and cook dinner when I got home.

Once I brought enough sausages and beer for a large party that way, coming home from germany.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to smuggle them home - I would go to a market on my way to the airport and get a chicken and some various sausages, once a pheasant, put them in a soft ice pack in my suitcase and cook dinner when I got home.

Once I brought enough sausages and beer for a large party that way, coming home from germany.
I've done similar things, but I have never tried fresh meat, I have to bow. You know the point that the customs officer asks you if you have any foie gras, any meats, any bread, etc...? And you answer no, trying to look angelic? And he decides that your suitcase is going to go through the machine? Twice now, the officers have looked at each other, upon examining my suitcase, smiled and let me go. They've never confiscated any of my purchases.

I find it helps if you wear a business suit. Even if you visit family, it's always a business trip, when the immigration officer asks.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scotch Bonnet peppers.  I remember cooking with those, three years ago, after a visit to a local farmer's market.  Not knowing the potency, I used half of one in a Cambodian stir-fry.  Husband, father, and two cats had to be evacuated.....
They are I believe the hottest peppers in the universe, even marginally hotter than the famed Mexican Habanero. If you know what you are getting into when you eat them, and are thus prepared, they are great. They make a great simple table sauce if you chop up about 5 of them, mix them with some key lime juice and salt.

They also pair well with mango and papaya and cilantro for a nice fruity hot sauce that dresses grilled fish.

I can see how they wouldn't have worked with the Cambodian stir fry, though. You either have to pair them with something citrusy or build them into a complex forumla of flavors so the heat blends rather than dominates.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Feb. 01 2005,08:18) I used to smuggle them home - I would go to a market on my way to the airport and get a chicken and some various sausages, once a pheasant, put them in a soft ice pack in my suitcase and cook dinner when I got home. Once I brought enough sausages and beer for a large party that way, coming home from germany.
I've done similar things, but I have never tried fresh meat, I have to bow. Â You know the point that the customs officer asks you if you have any foie gras, any meats, any bread, etc...? Â And you answer no, trying to look angelic? Â And he decides that your suitcase is going to go through the machine? Â Twice now, the officers have looked at each other, upon examining my suitcase, smiled and let me go. Â They've never confiscated any of my purchases. I find it helps if you wear a business suit. Â Even if you visit family, it's always a business trip, when the immigration officer asks.
the only time I have ever been busted was when I tried to get 3 boxes of orchids from thailand through. I basically had a big white bag that said Bankok duty free, that looked like 3 flower boxes, on my luggage cart. but you can get fantastic orchids for about $25 per 100 or so buds. Last year I brought a piece of spainish ham through that lasted me just under a year. mmmmm.....

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne,Jan. 31 2005,20:07
Scotch Bonnet peppers. Â I remember cooking with those, three years ago, after a visit to a local farmer's market. Â Not knowing the potency, I used half of one in a Cambodian stir-fry. Â Husband, father, and two cats had to be evacuated.....
They are I believe the hottest peppers in the universe, even marginally hotter than the famed Mexican Habanero. Â If you know what you are getting into when you eat them, and are thus prepared, they are great. They make a great simple table sauce if you chop up about 5 of them, mix them with some key lime juice and salt. They also pair well with mango and papaya and cilantro for a nice fruity hot sauce that dresses grilled fish. I can see how they wouldn't have worked with the Cambodian stir fry, though. You either have to pair them with something citrusy or build them into a complex forumla of flavors so the heat blends rather than dominates.
So you use them primarily without cooking them? Â I think that was my mistake, the fact that I cooked my one half on high heat and the fumes engulfed the whole house. As for the subject of children, my son surprises me: he will eat spicy food without batting an eyelash. Â We have Indian friends, and he loves the crunchy snacks that they are so fond of. Â And other times, he wants pasta or peas with nothing on. Â Last night, he had boursin (cheese heavy on garlic and herbs). Â Then went on to a strong goat cheese.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This probably doesn't sound appetizing, but it was very tasty:

"Mexican" casserole -- diced chicken, w/corn, bean, peppers and other "stuff" and herbs/spices, topped with tortillas slathered in some kind of smoky/spicy sauce. Homemade by my amazing wife. Lots left for a couple days of no-cost lunches.

green salad

day-old (but warmed up) homemade biscuits

1997 Foppiano petite sirah (Napa)

orange popsicle as dessert

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This probably doesn't sound appetizing, but it was very tasty:

"Mexican" casserole -- diced chicken, w/corn, bean, peppers and other "stuff" and herbs/spices, topped with tortillas slathered in some kind of smoky/spicy sauce.  Homemade by my amazing wife.  Lots left for a couple days of no-cost lunches.

green salad

day-old (but warmed up) homemade biscuits

1997 Foppiano petite sirah (Napa)

orange popsicle as dessert
We're also big on leftovers. The only problem with that is, drawn by the aromas, curious co-workers ask many questions. Giving out the name is never enough, you get into an explanation, and your dish gets cold in the meantime. Sometimes, I like a little privacy with my food.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grilled chicken on Romaine lettuce with goat cheese, red peppers and homemade vinagrette dressing.
1 glass of unremarkable chianti after dinner

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Geez - I am pretty boring... last night - Chili made by my wife with ground beef, canned tomatoes and chili seasonings - eaten with saltine crackers Glass of milk Bradford
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads