• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zenmotorcycle.jpg

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Call of the Wild was a very entertaining book.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
SPB Lady and I are both reading The Brothers Karamazov (her in Russian, me in English)

Is this supposed to be some twisted form of mental BDSM?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18.jpg

Love Eric Gill's work. The more I find out about him, though, the more I wish I just knew his work.

stillerfan07

Reaction score
What It Takes-Richard Ben Cramer
Got a lot of newfound respect for Bob Dole and the other candidates. You have to be pretty driven to make it as a presidential candidate.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
517E1E0T4DL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I feel any slightly masochistic economist must read this at one part of their lives.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
517E1E0T4DL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I feel any slightly masochistic economist must read this at one part of their lives.

I have a copy sitting on my shelf (or at least I used to)...not sure I have actually read it.

Definitely read sections of it but probably not the whole thing.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently reading What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell, as well as Thinking Strategically by Dixit and Nalebuff.

I have to say What the Dog Saw, while interesting and worth reading, is definitely my least favorite of his books (though admittedly I've only read the Tipping Point and Blink).

I'm not really far enough in Thinking Strategically to have any opinion.

Also, I was considering reading Switch by the Heath brothers next, but would like some opinions on it if anyone here has read it. From what I've seen they tend to have a similar writing style to Malcolm Gladwell (whom I like quite a bit). Also wondering how people think Switch compared to Made to Stick if you've read them both.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Just finished Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It was great. Should I bother trying to piece the fragments together for the purpose of understanding the linearity of the story? The plot isn't completely tenable, but I'm wondering if you can infer anything about the underlying mechanism for all the dreams and characters' parallels within their different degrees of reality.

I'm still dying to know what was in the spy's envelope.

I read the book twice. The first reading took about a month. The second reading took three days. I don't skip chapters, paragraphs, or even words. I just read for 16 hours a day. The second time exposed more about the book than was possible before knowing the general structure of the narratives or without a sense of the characters. The earlier chapters -- particularly, Lieutenant Mamiya's mini-novel -- are surprisingly personal the second time around.

I don't think you're supposed to ever know what's in the envelope. It serves it's purpose well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads