1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

I felt very much the same prior to picking the first one up. But Napoleonic War sailing adventures aren't all that different from the dorky space opera scifi I already read on occasion. Be prepared to bone up on your sailing terms though, Forester certainly doesn't skimp on the technical jargon. Thankfully I sailed a bit in college, so I managed to make sense of most of it without consulting google.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Well-Known Member

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, by Sean Howe. For the comic geeks of a certain age, you have to read it. I'm about 2/3 through it and to read how childish the staff was and how much dope they were smoking in the 70s. Stan Lee comes off as part carnival barker, part inattentive dad, part creative genius, and narcissistic.
    [​IMG]

3. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Read this a while back loved it, great book. Tragic at the end though what happens to Marvel as its turned into just a machine for making money. The late 60's and 70's is my favourite period in the Marvel epoch the art and story writing was first rate.

5. sleepxlost

sleepxlost Member

I was recommended Never Let Me Go by a friend who claimed it was their favorite book. I like Kazuo but hated this book honestly. Extremely slow to develop with almost no climax and a weak ending. Pretty disappointed.

Currently reading:
    [​IMG]

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

oh man BM is so good

So you didn't like Never Let Me Go? it's next on my to-read list.

7. sleepxlost

sleepxlost Member

I personally did not, there are those who will vouch for it though. I just didn't think it was Kazuo's best work.

McCarthy, on the other hand, never disappoints.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

i think Never Let Me Go, bored the shit out me a terrible waste of time, never saw the movie don't know who bad that was.

Just got in the mail The Quality of Mercy Reflections on Shakespeare by Peter Brook.

9. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

Just finished...
    [​IMG]

Just started...

[​IMG]

10. clockwise

clockwise Well-Known Member

I have read 3 Kazuo Ishiguro novels. An Artist of the Floating World left me with the strongest impression by far. I have read a lot of Junichiro Tanizaki, who is one of my favorite authors, and there is no doubt that Ishiguro also read a lot of Tanizaki! The Remains of the Day is also very good and has many similarities to An Artist.

It is hard to believe that Never Let Me Go is written by the same author, I thought it was very mediocre in comparison. But....the critics loved it.

1 person likes this.
  11. clockwise

clockwise Well-Known Member

Reading Rushdie's Midnight's Children now. 33 years after everyone else. Excellent stuff.

12. feinschmecker

feinschmecker Member

[​IMG]

Some great new books coming soon from a new publisher specializing in foreign literature in translation, New Vessel Press. Check out The Missing Year of Juan Salvatierra by Pedro Mairal, a cool, snappily written Argentine novel by Pedro Mairal about art and familial mysteries. The cover design of all New Vessel Press books is particularly appealing.

newvesselpress.com/books/the-missing-year-of-juan-salvatierra/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  13. Geoffrey Firmin

If you haven't read Black Mass I highly recommend it. While I enjoy his books and articles I find I get more intellectual stimulation out of listening to pod cast's by Gray. Maybe being on stage and in a live situation he has to be a bit more erudite and concise, not that i am saying his writing isn't.

14. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

I´m reading books in 3 different languages at the momento: "THe wind up bird chronicle" by haruki murakami (in english), "The scarlet plague" (in spanish) and a small collection of Guy de Maupassant short stories (in french). I really have to finish murakami´s book because I have "kafka on the shore" and "1Q84" waiting to be read.

15. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Consise is good, he's got a tendency to overdo it with his writing. Not a fan of writers who continually use obtuse words that you have to keep Googling...:dozingoff:

16. Geoffrey Firmin

The Aftermath Rhidian Brook

A story set amidst the ruins of the thousand year reich in Hamburg 1946.

17. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

May I suggest that you google "consise" and "obtuse"?

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

:)

To pile on:
    Liked Remains Of The Day very much. Hated Never Let Me Go.

Clockwise: better late than never. Midnight's Children is excellent.

Just finished this, which I thought was really good:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  19. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

After Wind Up, the other Murakamis will be a letdown, imo.

20. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Continuing my predilection towards 'stuff I was supposed to read in college but didn't', I just started Lolita.