• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was perfect for the hot weather last week, but not that it's cooled off, a warmer red would be nice. But, I still had a bottle left over...

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might have overdone it a bit last night.

Sidecar w/Remy Martin 1738 (would have been decent without so much lemon)
Tito's Handmade Vodka
Balvenie 21
Blanton's
Ended with just a tasting of Talisker 10 (which tasted like crap compared to all the great stuff I drank previously)

Needless to say, I had no trouble falling asleep.

Half Honky

Reaction score
Suntory Whiskey

frown.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah, we have practicals every couple of days. Tomorrow's practical part of the final actually only covers the pasta and egg cookery section, so it goes like this: List of dishes: 2 oz Tagliatelle, 2 oz Cappelini, 2 French Omelette, 1 Poached Egg w/ Hollandaise 2 French Omelette's plated for grading by 12:15 (class starts at 11:45) Poached egg/hollandaise plated for grading by 12:45 All 4 oz of pasta prepared, cut, cooked, and plated for grading by 2:00. And the kicker is we're each only allotted 7 eggs, so we have no room for error in terms of being able to break an egg and just go grab another one to use. Then we have a 200 question written final cumulative over everything we've done so far in this class. This class is Intro to Cul. Skills I, so it's just a very general survey of all different methods of cooking (braising, poaching, roasting, etc etc), terminology/ basic understanding of why proteins coagulate & other stuff like that, equipment, weights & measures, knife skills, and vocab. I have a 98% in that class so far, so not much to worry about. Hence why I'm drinking while I study. Then again, yesterday I completely sucked at making pasta from scratch, so maybe I sh ould practice.
Interesting. I once heard Jacques Pepin say that he used an omelette as a defining test for a chef. I wish you well.
Originally Posted by Dmax
Last night - a Corpse Reviver.
Oooh. Good one!
Originally Posted by Cordwinder
Met up with friends, moved to another bar and had a Manhattan. My friend kept on asking what was in it and wasn't satisfied with my explanation so asked the bartender to. Guy explained it as a whiskey based cocktails with bitters. Was told that the Manhattan is called the "Queen of Cocktails".
Queen of cocktails? I've never heard this term used with The Manhattan. It really has very few feminine qualities, except, perhaps, seduction. "Whiskey based cocktail with bitters" is also a pathetic description of the Manhattan, and while he gets marks for mentioning the bitters, it's primary a whisky and vermouth cocktail. Recipe: 2 oz. Good Bourbon or Rye 1 oz Good Sweet (that is, red) Vermouth several dashes bitters Stir over ice for at least 30 sec, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve with a black maraschino cherry.
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Huntsman, help! I just made my first sidecar, and it was terrible. My recipe: 2 oz Remy Martin 1738 1 oz Grand Marnier 1 oz lemon juice (freshly squeezed) It was WAYYYYY to sour. What is your recipe? I'm asking because I believe it is one of your favorite drinks.
It is indeed. However, I retired it when my favorite bartendress (who made the best one I ever had) retired. I will never drink it again. She offered me the recipe when she left, though I did not accept. Before that time, I made it thus: 1.25 oz Courvoisier VSOP 1 oz. Cointreau 0.75 oz lemon juice 0.375 oz orange juice (both juices fresh as I'm certain you practice) It is not the traditional, which is typically agreed to as 1:1:1, as I added the orange -- it heightens the notes in the Cointreau in a stunning fashion, just as hers did. I would certainly not use Grand Marniner, as it is very complex and blended with cognac, and lacks the simple directness and clarity that Cointreau brings. Also note -- depending upon your particular lemon, you might need up to 0.24 oz simple syrup to correct it. Lemons vary hugely. Luck, Huntsman P.S. Americanos for me last night. Am tinkering with something using Averna Amaro, too.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Interesting. I once heard Jacques Pepin say that he used an omelette as a defining test for a chef. I wish you well.

Thanks sir. Jacques would have liked me then, b/c I got a 97% on the final and a 98% overall.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I moved in today and my dad bought me a parting gift:
Knob+Creek.JPG
Some Knob and some Muddy Waters while I unpack. Couldn't be much better.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Thanks sir. Jacques would have liked me then, b/c I got a 97% on the final and a 98% overall.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sweet!
Originally Posted by Connemara
I moved in today and my dad bought me a parting gift: Some Knob and some Muddy Waters while I unpack. Couldn't be much better.
Are you in a dorm? Is there an issue with alcohol storage? I ask as law school looks a more serious option for me as the days go by, and a major consideration is that I will need to bring a bar with me wherever I go. Being poor and unsubsidized means I won't be able to afford living off-campus, sadly.... ~H

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Are you in a dorm? Is there an issue with alcohol storage? I ask as law school looks a more serious option for me as the days go by, and a major consideration is that I will need to bring a bar with me wherever I go. Being poor and unsubsidized means I won't be able to afford living off-campus, sadly.... ~H
No, I'm off-campus in an apartment so anything goes. Most people (all, probably) in law school are over 21 and I have never heard of a college that doesn't allow students over 21 to have alcohol in their rooms; you should be fine. Places like Brigham Young and Liberty U. are exceptions of course.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I know my alma had some weird regs about alcohol, and I assumed that would be common. Am looking at GW's policies now, in fact. Ok, they're cool. No pocket knives, though.

I'm going to think positive about the admissions process and start building my bar. It will feature locks. Lots of locks, I think.

~H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads