• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to give a shout out: Ralph Lauren, Brioni, Kiton, and - more controversially - Loro Piana for both its fabrics and excellent sweaters and other haberdashery.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It will be one list, and it will be largely arbitrary. But there are already some great ideas I'd left off our first draft - Burberry, for example. Which I think deserves to be on the list for inventing one of the most important staple clothing items, and keeping the brand relatively important outside of that.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is this going to be resolutely N.American / European?

I think that the perspective will be American, but we will at least try to have some representation for fashion. Probably at least some of the fashion folks who've really changed trends in more traditional circles (Cardin, YSL, Thom Browne, Armani) and some representation from the folks you mentioned, plus maybe an Antwerper or two.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread has already turned into a list of brands to "instakop" rather than really answer the question.

Charvet, Rolex, Peal, LL Bean, Luxxotica, Swaine Adeney...? :confused:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This thread has already turned into a list of brands to "instakop" rather than really answer the question.
Charvet, Rolex, Peal, LL Bean, Luxxotica, Swaine Adeney...? :confused:

well he did ask for 50 lol. But if i were to choose it would be Brioni

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guangzhou Double Happiness Menswear Fashion Co, Ltd.

Louis Vuitton. :slayer:

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(relatively) recent brands that are quite revered in SW&D:
Raf Simons
Hedi Slimane's work at YSL and Dior has been pretty influential from what I understand.
Helmut Lang
Yohji Yamamoto
Martin Margiela
Engineered Garments

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

(relatively) recent brands that are quite revered in SW&D:
Raf Simons
Hedi Slimane's work at YSL and Dior has been pretty influential from what I understand.
Helmut Lang
Yohji Yamamoto
Martin Margiela
Engineered Garments

I was trying to get clarification from the website on what they mean by "menswear." If it's broadly just "men's clothing," this and brands like Stussy should be included. Personally, I think that would make for a more interesting list (and one that's not as biased), but I don't know if we've heard back.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Mugatu and his piano-key necktie.

But seriously, I think it might help to think of them in categories. What brands/designers/tailors contributed to certain schools of thought or looks? So American/Ivy look, Neapolitan look, English look, Couture/Fashion look etc. Additionally, there are retailers (could be called "brands") that were innovators in both what they carried and the aesthetic they drove into the market even if they were less-than-successful business models. It would also be worth looking at what is driven the Japanese's buying as catering to their tastes has definitely had a huge influence on the luxury goods industry.

Intentionally leaving out non tailored clothing type folks so as to focus scope.

American/Ivy Style:
Brooks Brothers
Ralph Lauren
J.Press
Gant (Guaranteed to bleed, anyone?)
Oxxford
Paul Stuart
Hickey Freeman/HSM (HMX corp)
Alden
Allen Edmonds
(include bootmakers here? Red Wing, Frye, even the likes of Lucchese etc? larger question of what menswear means here)

English Style:
Hardy Amies
Anderson & Sheppard
Huntsman
Poole
Boateng
Nutter/Sexton
Barbour
Gieves & Hawkes
Turnbull & Asser
Burberry
Aquascutum
Cleverley
Lobb
Crockett Jones
Peal
Drakes

Italian Style:
Rubinacci
Brioni
Kiton
Corneliani
Zegna
Gucci (Horsebit loafers anyone?)
Ferragamo (Italian? He's technically a hollywood guy)
Barbera
Attolini

Fashion Style:
Hermes
Yves St Laurent
Tom Ford (including his Gucci work here)
Thom Browne
Pierre Cardin
Giorgio Armani

Interesting stores/business model innovation or preservation:
Arnys
Sulka
Loro Piana (really taken the fabric marketing to the next level, made it about the fabric and less about the designer)
Cordings
Ede & Ravenscroft (Who else still sells all the stiff collars, etc?)
an HK Tailor like WW Chan who really work that travelling tailor bit/fast bespoke in HK.

I'm sure I'm leaving out everything important but mainly I think breaking this up into categories, then sorting out the top 50 based on inclusion of these key spheres of influence is probably the easiest way to go about it.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was trying to get clarification from the website on what they mean by "menswear." If it's broadly just "men's clothing," this and brands like Stussy should be included. Personally, I think that would make for a more interesting list (and one that's not as biased), but I don't know if we've heard back.

It's an interesting question, and along with the question of scope, it also comes down to the definition of "greatest" - most influential? highest quality? most popular? most recognisable?

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Are you doing a litle write up for each brand? or just a list?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads