• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesley Knight Bespoke Glasses

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just thought I would show off some new glasses that I got recently. They are bespoke made by Wesley Knight made from water buffalo horn.

The process took about 9 months from start to finish and started with an in-person meeting to go over details, style ideas, and tons of measurements including a putty mold of my nose-bridge and photographs of my head in different angles and wearing different apparatuses for proportion perspective and such. It seems that Wesley can made exact styles if you'd like, or you can leave him with some ideas and inspiration and he can whip up from drawings for you to yay or nay. I personally liked my current frames that I had been wearing daily for ~5 years, but I wanted them to fit better and not slide down my nose. I also wanted to be open to some slight different design ideas to just better refine what I was already wearing.

After our initial meeting Wesley told me to send him some stuff via email for inspiration for some design ideas that didn't include glasses. I thought this was awesome and being the weirdo I am sent him some random, wacky stuff that inspires me. A couple months later I got some drawings of style ideas superimposed over my face. From there we had a phone conversation about what I liked and didn't like and he came up with some tweaks. At that point he put together a balsa wood rough fit model for me to try on. He had me take several photos to asses fit and we had another phone call to discuss what works or what doesn't. After more tweaks and such I got another wood fitting model before going to finishing.

All in all what I got was much better than I expected to be honest and I love them. Wesley is a super cool, chill dude who seriously put up with a lot of my OCD through the process and in the end delivered a solid pair of frames. I honestly couldn't be happier. It is a bit nerve wracking going through the process, but I trusted him and I got exactly what I wanted and more.

The pictures kind of suck and all in all I don't think my frames are very representative of what he can do. I have "boring" style and I wanted frames that look as black as possible, so I am probably the wrong person to offer his work to the forum. It is very hard to show detailed photos of the horn with just an iPhone camera and also the craftsmanship, which is truly outstanding, even the hardware seems very sturdy. These pretty much look solid black under most lighting conditions, but when you look closely, or in certain natural light settings you can see all kinds of grain and depth, which is really awesome. I am actually surprised that I have gotten so many compliments on them due to them looking very similar to what I was wearing. People seem to notice that they are something special.

My favorite part about these frames is the fit honestly. I discussed at the beginning with Wesley that I hated how the temples of many glasses weren't long enough and they frequently slept down my nose causing me to frequently push them up, especially when it is hot and humid. These fit like a glove and loop around my ears just right. They kind of feel "locked-in" to my face where I could probably do some headbanging and still have them in place. Also, I like that the proportions are better than any glasses I have worn in the past. For example, the top of the frame is better aligned with my eyebrows rather than rising above. It lets you see more of my face, and also the proportion of glasses to top and bottom of my face looks more natural. Sorry for not posting fit photos, but I don't want my ugly mug on the internet, I trust you understand.

Oh yeah, just for full disclosure I did not get these for free and got nothing for posting here. I commissioned them on my own I just thought I'd share my experiences with fellow members.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't really like giving prices online, not because it is secret or anything, but in bespoke work and such prices change often for numerous reasons and forums are sort of cast in stone to a degree. It would be unfair to members and Wesley if certain expectations of price weren't met because of old, or inaccurate quotes on the forum. Wesley I'm sure would be more than happy to quote you some prices of you shoot him an email.

As for materials he only offers horn, but in virtually any shade and textures imaginable. He also has access to almost any metal for different inlays and such, which cost extra. I know we told me "precious" metals will cost more depending on the market price. Initials simply engraved are also an up charge.

I think he's going to be in New York again this spring so if you're in the area you could meet him and see some of his designs and discuss options and such.

All in all I think what I paid for what I got was a steal, imho.

Last edited:
Reaction score
P. Booth, thanks for the write-up. Your glasses look great, and as the wearer of several bespoke frames, I can attest to the fit, comfort and style which you refer to. One question for you: was the sole in-person meeting enough, or would you rather have had more face-to-face meetings along the process, instead of the mailed-models, phone calls, and DIY photos?

I reached out to Wesley ahead of his first NYC visit, and it is nice to see that years later he is establishing himself nicely, and has a great partnership with Steven and Leffot. He's got a great eye and the hands to see it through. Will have to pass by Franklin, Tennessee one day.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know that he did come back to New York for some follow-up fittings but my frames weren't ready at the time for a fitting. Honestly I don't think it would have improved much of anything. He gave specific instructions on pictures to take and also listened to my input and always tweaked what I had asked for. I can't say it would have improved the final product to any noticeable degree.

Some folks that saw my frames and had some frames done by him a long time ago seemed to agree that while his early stuff is great he's really come a long way in refining his craft.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Neat. I like these:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Patrick, is it safe to say you have caught the bespoke eyewear bug? What projects do you have cookin', be it with Wesley, Bonnet or others?

Wesley seems like the kind of guy who could make a nice case to go with a pair of frames. I have found that to be an untapped market. Aside from Hermes, not many fantastic options out there. To all you guys and gals out there with businesses capitalizing on #menswear: bring on the small-batch, artisan-made eyeglass case.

simondg

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread and write-up, I was wondering the other day about bespoke eyeglasses and eyeglass makers.

Last edited:

henubem

Reaction score
it looks like Wesley is going to be at Leffot on April 8th and 9th.
68.gif

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Patrick, is it safe to say you have caught the bespoke eyewear bug? What projects do you have cookin', be it with Wesley, Bonnet or others?

Wesley seems like the kind of guy who could make a nice case to go with a pair of frames. I have found that to be an untapped market. Aside from Hermes, not many fantastic options out there. To all you guys and gals out there with businesses capitalizing on #menswear: bring on the small-batch, artisan-made eyeglass case.

Nah, no bug. I'm a man of consistency. My intention is to wear these until I die, or they die.

He had actually made leather cases for some folks. I'm sure he'd do it for a price.

carhadtt

Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the post and lovely glasses by the way. I can't say that I'm in the US an awful lot however next time i go over i'll certainly consider commissioning a pair from Welsey Knight.

I was on the lookout for bespoke spectacle makers last year:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/512958/luxury-bespoke-glasses#post_8203878

I myself am waiting on a pair of horn frames commissioned from EB Meyrowitz in London! Very old-school outfit (if you like traditional tailors, shoemakers etc... you will appreciate the service).

I shall no doubt post a full write up on delivery of the finished article- I really hope they come out as nice as yours!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads