• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a dress watch with casual clothes

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
As a watch person ... I often notice what watch a person is wearing. If it's a Rolex, I usually assume that the person is new to watches or is one who doesn't really care (or know much) about watches.

Ive been to more WIS gatherings than I care to report, and Rolex is quite popular amongst those who own MANY other brands.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
...Rolex is quite popular amongst those who own MANY other brands.
I don't doubt that ... nor does it contradict what I said.

I would add ... in my experience ... few WISs are true Watch experts.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
I'm just getting stated learning watchmaking as a hobby. Breaking down and reassembling an ETA 2824 and a handful of old pocket watches. Prices of the tools are a killer though.
You are far ahead of most. But that's just my opinion.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I don't doubt that ... nor does it contradict what I said.

I would add ... in my experience ... few WISs are true Watch experts.

Even so, opinion will vary even amongst said watch experts. There are many who would disagree with you re: Rolex.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you like for sport watches RSS?

particularly in the standard rolex price range 5-7k????

dl

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Even so, opinion will vary even amongst said watch experts. There are many who would disagree with you re: Rolex.
Absolutely, positively.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
What do you like for sport watches RSS?

particularly in the standard rolex price range 5-7k?

I use two ... one above the range ... one lower ... a Breguet Type XX Transatlantique ... and an IWC Fleigerchronograph.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I use two ... one above the range ... one lower ... a Breguet Type XX Transatlantique ... and an IWC Fleigerchronograph.
Do have pics? It would be great to see them.

opusX

Reaction score
I love my datejust. I wear it with a black calfskin strap. Very understated... 36mm, smooth bezel, no diamonds. Just a nice elegant watch.

It does what I want it to... look good on the outside and work reliably on the inside. I also love the fact that everything Rolex is in-house. That to me is more valuable than a pretty movement.

I don't have anything against ETA movements... but the fact that Rolex can still be called a true watchmaker earns the company some credit, regardless of how crude the finishing might be on their movements.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
and Rolex is quite popular amongst those who own MANY other brands.[/QUOTE said:
I've got a President and Submariner and while I don't have MANY other brands, I've also got a couple of Pateks. I would wear all 4 casually, if that's what I wanted to do. On the other hand, I don't think the Submariner would do well with a suit. . .but that's just me.

To the orignal poster. . .if you like the watch, get it. . .wear it and enjoy it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Do have pics? It would be great to see them.
This weekend I'll take a photo or two and post to you via a PM. The Breguet is currently on a steel bracelet (although I prefer it on tan croc) and the IWC is on a much too worn-out brown alligator strap. I've been using it when running ... so I really need to put it back on its steel bracelet. If I have time I might do that before I shoot it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Thanks, I'm most interested in seeing the Breguet, but both would be nice to see.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A name has been changed to proted the guilty.​

RSS: \tHi, Nate, guess why I’m calling.

Nate: \tYou heard that I got the Reverso you were asking about last month.

RSS: \tNo, no … I need a Rolex.

Nate: \tDid I ever tell you that when I was a boy I attended the Pope’s bar mitzvah?

RSS: \tNo … but I need a Rolex.

Nate: \t(Laughter) You want a Rolex?

RSS: \tNo … I need a Rolex.

Nate: \tLucy, please splain to me this need.

RSS & Nate: (chitchat … chitchat … chitchat)

Nate: \tNo one at your level of watch ownership wants a Rolex. No one at your level of ownership needs a Rolex … for any reason. You can try your experiment, but I’m not going to be a part of it. I already know what's there and what's not there. I sell Rolex not because it’s a fine watch … but because it’s a money maker. Now to be honest, I don’t want to loose my ability to sell Rolex when you tear them apart for the less than stellar workings and it’s discovered that you got it from me and I knew what you were planning do. Now don’t ask me to be a part in this.

RSS: \t(Relates a story to Nate about a Toyota with a $20K paint job.)

Nate: \tYou don’t expect truly fine coachwork in a Saab, do you? But ... what you see is okay. Of course neither do you expect parts that might as well be vintage Lada, but that’s Rolex. It’s a good watch with short-coming most will never see. But call XYZ if you want to do this … I just can’t afford to play.

RSS:\tParty Pooper.

Nate: \tYou want another Reverso; you don’t need a Rolex. I’m dropping by with the Reverso … will you be down here this weekend?

RSS: No, next weekend.

Nate: Okay ... I'll hold it until then ... and drop by with it. Don't you have your Easter on Sunday? In the meantime don't give into this dark desire to buy a Rolex. Think Reverso ... Reverso ... Reverso.

RSS: Later Nate. See you next weekend.

Nate: You don't need a Rolex ... (quieter) you don't need a Rolex ... (quieter still) you don't need a Rolex (click).

Icehawk

Reaction score
Rolex has a great history behind it and I think a classic looking watch in the Oyster series. Are they the best made, sadly from case openings it appears not but they do make their own movement and are reliable. I love my Air King.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads