• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Vox here, and not because I think MC is better than SW&D in any way.

The main root difference between MC and SW&D is this. MC is based in 'Classic Western Male Style' (CWMS) - a set of norms that has emerged during the course of the early-mid Twentieth Century about how men of particular social classes should look*. This means that it is actually quite easy to judge (if one knows what these basic norms are) whether someone is doing it right or not (and yes, this includes a certain degree of leeway for 'rule-breaking', although real Dandyism or Foppishness both sit uncomfortably in MC because they draw on aesthetics with an only partly-shared trajectory).

However SW&D is based in the diffusion of high fashion into more everyday settings (essentially the adaption and/or commercialization of runway styles). Because these are extremely diverse (even though there are identifiable commonalities over time and space) and draw on a much more varied and yes, superficial, set of influences ('other' cultures and historical periods, uniforms, fiction and film, as well as CWMS and where CWMS is merely one inspiration and taken without the normative baggage), so there are fewer clear rules - although SF SW&D does have its communal norms - and therefore the ways in which one can judge are different or perhaps not as clearly definable in advance.

Both of course depend on aesthetics, and people without taste or judgement, or who are learning to acquire these things - because they can be learned, they are not intrinsic, although some start with better instincts - are likely to fail in either domain. But equally it does not mean that someone who knows how to wear the latest Japanese street style to its best will necessarily be able to transfer their aesthetic knowledge to CWMS.

MC Casual can be confusing. There is a tendency to see it here as a kind of lazy version of CWMS. As Vox has pointed out, it isn't. It is the same principles in a casual context. And if you learn from SW&D, you'll get something that could work in all kinds of ways but it's unlikely to be MC Casual or improve MC Casual by CWMS standards (or course, it might be a massive improvement by SW&D standards!).

And in the end, this is why I don't generally do MC Casual. I like my tailored suits and my leather shoes and not because I feel any duty to wear these things, sometimes I just like to work with (although not be bound by) the discipline of CWMS rules. But a lot of the time, I prefer other rules, and - whether I do it badly or not - I prefer the SW&D approach. I don't like my casual style to have to play by CWMS rules. I don't like the CWMS aesthetic in a casual clothing context - and this is purely subjective.

*I specifically call it 'western' because there are many other very different kinds of formal style in the world. Being part of an Anglo-Japanese family, I have my formal kimonos etc. which I have worn both in an out of their 'proper' context. I suspect that out of the Japanese formal context, a kimono is much more likely to get love in SW&D than in MC...

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Funnily enough the Epaulet thread has some of the best MC casual fits and it's in the SW&D forum. IMO Epaulet is the best example of stradling the two sides of the forum.

I like Epaulet. But, they're kind in my shithouse now because of that giant, Western-tooled penny loafer that took 60% of the real estate on SF for many months, and also Brooklynranger's habit of rolling up his Rivet chinos instead of getting them hemmed.

I guess you can't blame them for the latter, but I do.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like Epaulet. But, they're kind in my shithouse now because of that giant, Western-tooled penny loafer that took 60% of the real estate on SF for many months, and also Brooklynranger's habit of rolling up his Rivet chinos instead of getting them hemmed.
I guess you can't blame them for the latter, but I do.

It's fine. I blame Ford for people texting and driving.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One only needs to see the God awful mess that is hashtag-menswear on Tumblr to see what happens when one tries to mix traditional tailored clothing with streetwear. Or when one wears traditional tailored clothing as though it were streetwear.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None of the guys here will EVER have to worry about that problem.

I can partially sympathize with the guy
except since I'm a big black guy most folks accept the fact that I'm packing a baby arm. Only ones to get wide-eyed in fear were chicks I's fidn ta boan.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This would be a great place for some before/after shots to demonstrate the effectiveness of SW&D lurkery.

in a good or in a bad way?

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to weigh in on this argument because I've done some serious lurking in both this and the swd waywrn thread exclusively in the past few days. I have to agree with what I bolded from parker. The problem or I guess better phrased "what frustrates me" in this thread is the lack of dedication to a casual outfit. This obviously is not aimed at everyone of course because a lot of people in this thread create inspiring casual looks. I think if anything a MC Casual-er can learn from SWD is that a casual look can be a finished/serious look. Not just something you wear when gardening, playing with your children, or whatever.
Maybe this is just because I am a generation-y-er but I rarely find myself the need to dress as people do in the mc waywrn thread. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate it but it's not formative to me in my style development/inspiration because it's not anything I would wear. On the flip side of the coin, I would never wear drop-crotch shorts and RO dunks. I still can appreciate the looks of each thread respectively and maybe learn something from it though.
In summation, I don't think MC or SWD are boxes that I can necessarily fit my style into and I don't think everyone's style should be defined by forum subdivisions

The bolded part +100000

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is what I mean:
prkr710a.jpg
This is not far away from the excellent MaoMao pic, but (despite being from an old-hand MCer) comes from a totally different train of thought, IMO.

not serious?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Parker always looks good to me, even in some of his recent SW&D mom sweaters.
So, we can agree the new thing to MC casual in that Parker fit is (1) a high floating break and (2) wearing sneakers sockless with a suit.
Is that really most likely path of success for an MC casual poster struggling to put together a good casual ensemble? Say, compared to the alternative of the same suit, longer pants, and some casual derbies or loafers in suede?
Poor K...this notion of cross-forum synergy is so often laid solely on his shoulders.
There are 100K+ members of SF.
Can you name even nine who meet this Parker MC/SW&D synergy test? Five?
Three?
It's really just Parker, right? He's the only one.

i'm sorry. i really, really cannot see the awe in parker's fits. it's far beyond me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads