• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I don't get what you're saying. It worked for me, it worked for Parker, it worked for MoK, it worked for you... what exactly is not working in the idea of looking at more expressions of casual wear styles as inspiration for casual dress ?

If by "worked," you mean that a handful of guys who have show a degree long term facility with MC fits have adapted, or adopted, SW&D fits with some success, then yes.

How does that apply to people who are identified by the pack as dressing poorly in MC, casual or otherwise?

The Thin Man

Reaction score
It seems to me that casual clothing, perhaps due to its comparatively brief history, is much more fashion-dependent than "non-casual" tailored clothing. I'm not talking about the avant garde. Nearly all of the posters in this thread fail in some not-too-recent developments like wearing sneakers in nonathletic contexts and wearing jeans with complementary articles of clothing.

If I was trying to learn how to find well-fitting jeans and clothes that will complement them, I would prefer SW&D for advice. This basic configuration is the most appropriate clothing for a huge range of informal social contexts, particularly for people born after, say, 1975.

I don't think this cohort is going to "age into" traditional chinos and cords rather than continuing to wear jeans. Chinos and cords, at least traditionally styled ones, are starting to recede into costume in casual contexts. A lot of this thread comes across as a sad parody of Take Ivy-era casual clothing.

F. Corbera or itsstillmatt don't emanate douchey-ness wearing traditional casual clothing like many posters in this thread do, probably because were in the last generation for which that casual style came naturally.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

F. Corbera or itsstillmatt don't emanate douchey-ness wearing traditional casual clothing like many posters in this thread do, probably because were in the last generation for which that casual style came naturally.

You must have missed the posts where vox was wearing hoodies & japanese denim, and where matt was discussing soaking in his bathtub with his jeans on

The Thin Man

Reaction score

You must have missed the posts where vox was wearing hoodies & japanese denim, and where matt was discussing soaking in his bathtub with his jeans on

No, I know they (at least FC) can wear the SW&D stuff. I'm specifically talking about the kind of stuff in this thread (which they know how to wear, and the people in this thread generally don't).

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think most n00bs have seen NOBD's casual looks even if they missed guys like Baron, Kaplan, the pre-Phat Guido Guido Wongoli, etc.

These are all looks that don't depend in any way on SW&D thinking, even if a brand or two creeps in, and are more within the scope of possibility if you're a guy today who otherwise wears coat and tie.

I'm not saying that a MC dude can't also do an SW&D look (although I think this complicates things.)

This thread, though, isn't suffering from lack of SW&D inspiration as it is from a simple paucity of MC achievement. That such success doesn't show up much in a StyFo thread today does not preclude its existence in reality.

emptym

Reaction score

Some people like more volume, no problem with me. Can we focus on the fact that wearing shorts+loafers makes people look like child molesters? You guys really have to learn how to dress casually, this nonsense has got to stop, think of the children!

I do this a lot. Here's one I posted a couple years ago:

imgp4116.jpg

Edit: Oops. Had the wrong Fuuma quote posted.

Last edited:

The Thin Man

Reaction score
I'd agree that the most fashion-driven, praised looks on SW&D are just in too out there for people who like traditional tailored clothing. I don't like much of the really fashion-y stuff.

But there are many people who wear denim well over there, and I don't see a lot of that in this thread. This is a big deal to me, since I'm frequently in social contexts where denim is nearly essential.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to repost, so click here and look at all the tieless or jacketless shots for recent examples what I would like to see in this thread.

And yes, I consider an odd jacket without tie as casual.

logikel

Reaction score
do you guys have any recommendations for skinny trousers/slacks that have a tapered/skinny leg opening? under $100 would be a bonus....thanks so much, finding a pair that have a tapered opening is sooo hard..

The Thin Man

Reaction score

I'm too lazy to repost, so click here and look at all the tieless or jacketless shots for recent examples what I would like to see in this thread.
And yes, I consider an odd jacket without tie as casual.

Thanks, those are great, helpful examples of how to do MC casual well.

I do feel that the number of social contexts in which jeans or shorts are going to dictate what you're wearing is much greater than the tailored-jacket contexts, at least for the vast majority of guys. That is, the number of contexts in which it can be beneficial to wear formal tailored clothing is greater than the number for casual, tailored clothes. I suspect a lot of people in this thread are out of synch with their contexts. That's why I think they could benefit from some SW&D advice (while admitting that the Yohji-in-the-'burbs indicate a different sort of contextual failure).

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't get what you're saying. It worked for me, it worked for Parker, it worked for MoK, it worked for you... what exactly is not working in the idea of looking at more expressions of casual wear styles as inspiration for casual dress ?

This would be a great place for some before/after shots to demonstrate the effectiveness of SW&D lurkery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads