• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No contention meant, just curiosity; what would you call an earthy aesthetic? To me it's mostly a color scheme of browns, greens, hazels, et al. I don't quite feel the earthy vibe from NYR's sumbision. Is it the simplistic top and denim?

Some of NYR's fits look other-worldly. In this context, yesterday's fit looked more earthy, less Jupitery.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the cuffs so much because I feel it gives the eye something to separate the shoes from the pant, kind of like a belt does that with the pant and the shirt.

I agree, and they also add some 'weight' to denims. But I think Teger's point is not against cuffs entirely (as he certainly wears cuffed denims himself), rather it's that your cuffs seem (to him at least) proportionally too big or or too prominent. Mind you, I've also seen much, much larger cuffs being carried off rather well, and by shorter guys...

(OT To TheloniusDrunk - I think you meant 'simple' not 'simplistic'... sorry, but one of pet hates is people using the word 'simplistic' as if it meant 'simple').

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
morning. Since my days of coat and tie are done for a bit, I'll be here. Sometimes.
4_24_12.jpg

I was moving wildly in every shot. Too much coffee.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to like that SC, but something about the flapped ticket pockets with the patch breast pocket is sending mixed messages. A slightly lighter grey pant (those look charcoal, or are they navy?) might have been better as well.

Fit on the SC looks great though.

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to like that SC, but something about the flapped ticket pockets with the patch breast pocket is sending mixed messages. A slightly lighter grey pant (those look charcoal, or are they navy?) might have been better as well.
Fit on the SC looks great though.

It's a navy .. the camera is just that bad

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know NYR knows what he likes and will do what he wants, but his cuffs often look too big and lazy--more "didn't feel like hemming these" than "I like cuffs"

If you're going to cuff jeans, the best ways are either (1) a single cuff--and anything larger than 1.5 inches or so starts to look AMERICANA and if that's your thing fine, but; or (2) a sloppy, narrow roll like you'd do at the beach. Folding it over multiple times in big cuffs adds too much body and if the denim is stiff can also make it fall weird as the seams try to straighten themselves out.

NYR's jeans aren't really bad but I don't like it on the epaulet trou at all.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just off to the shops, the SC is tweed and has a burgundy window pane, though it hasn't come out. Lack of contrast between SC and jeans, but I like it.

91a07l.jpg

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey Gnatty what model is that Belstaff?

Oh man, sorry but I have no clue. If you search this thread about a month ago when I first posted this in a fit, someone linked to a store in Germany that carried it online.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know NYR knows what he likes and will do what he wants, but his cuffs often look too big and lazy--more "didn't feel like hemming these" than "I like cuffs"
If you're going to cuff jeans, the best ways are either (1) a single cuff--and anything larger than 1.5 inches or so starts to look AMERICANA and if that's your thing fine, but; or (2) a sloppy, narrow roll like you'd do at the beach. Folding it over multiple times in big cuffs adds too much body and if the denim is stiff can also make it fall weird as the seams try to straighten themselves out.
NYR's jeans aren't really bad but I don't like it on the epaulet trou at all.

+1

I used to like the big chunky cuff but since hemming my KMWs I now think the opposite. Here's a before and after comparison of my KMW:

Before:

After:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do that with one of my favourite pairs, but I haven't been able to find a decent tailor who I trust not to **** up the selvedge line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads