• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegan/Vegetarian?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lacto-vegetarian (milk products OK, no meat/eggs) since birth.

Swededude

Reaction score
Do not eat meat, but fish, egg & milk-products since two years back. I've noticed a significant change in my daily energy and how much I can exercise, to the better. Right now I'm running 26-49 miles per week + 1-2 rounds in the gym to train for a marathon and I'm never tired or without energy. This is a lot more workout than I could manage 2 years ago and the only change I've made is my diet.

tuc

Reaction score
I have been vegan for almost 5 years, before that a lacto-ovo vegetarian for many, many years (stopped eating meat when I was 13 and I'll turn 30 this year).

I am a professional breakdance instructor (my main income source since I am running an own company which doesn't provide income yet) and on/off weightlifter. I have lifted almost 2.5 times my bodyweight in deadlift, so no reason for competing against anyone else but myself but it's a lot of iron anyway, about 180kg. Now I'm quite skinny since I haven't had time to train and eat properly for a few months but I was almost overweight with quite low body fat a year or two ago.

I've also started importing vegan footwear for Finnish gentlemen, finally there are proper goodyear welted alternatives available.

There are huge amounts of good examples of healthy vegans.

Also, I think an average vegetarian looks more feminine than an average vegan. All the vegan guys I know are somewhat rugged. I think diet has very little doing with that, it's just about culture. Vegans are somewhat HC, whereas those who are feminine to begin with often go vegetarian.

jenlain

Reaction score
I'm not entirely vegetarian, but have dramatically cut down on meat consumption in recent months. Did it because I simply felt better when eating veggies (digestion feels easier now).

Used to eat red meat in 80% of my meals. Down to less than 10%. Has nothing to do with ethics or long-term health impact. Have lost a little weight, but not much, as that was not my intent and I don't eat rabbit food. Lots of quinoa, beans, nuts, etc.

greamelexon

Reaction score
I have been a vegetarian for a year but then stopped because I am too skinny. Still drinking soy milk but do not eat fish and shellfish in good health and everything, only eat meat occasionally.

Swededude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tuc
I've also started importing vegan footwear for Finnish gentlemen, finally there are proper goodyear welted alternatives available.

Do you have any examples of that? Would really like to see!

tuc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swededude
Do you have any examples of that? Would really like to see!

Here are some pics of the first products I will have in a few weeks:

prd576508a6-b34f-4521-bbaa-71f76baad402.jpg
prd4237278d-9358-44e7-af1e-3751161e2871.jpg

prd7d1414f8-0413-4b38-9f02-1baa6804664f.png
prd5763cc16-a25d-4cd2-97aa-2523bddd0195.jpg

prd0683d04d-faaf-4826-a692-45d2e5cfbe3b.jpg
prd08be62ac-6dcc-423f-8230-4c3288c3c5d4.jpg

prd%7B09DA4ECA-9309-4D3A-91A6-F0F79AEC09A8%7D.jpg
prd%7B18F81A10-B5BB-4D78-A192-DB68E273A29B%7D.jpg

Oxford_sanders_vegan.png

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Where are you importing them from?

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Having both Vegetarian Shoes and Sanders, I have to say Sanders are far and away the better quality product. The Sanders are worth the $150 they cost, while the Vegetarian Shoes do not justify their $100 price.

The thing about any vegan shoes is it is just about impossible to get much of a discount on them.

tuc

Reaction score
Can I ask which Vegetarian Shoes do you have? They use many manufacturers and some shoes are of very good quality, whereas some are made with cheaper methods (and are priced lower as well).

I have had some, very durable pairs of Vegetarian Shoes and they still look like new shoes even after being attacked continuously by Finnish climate (really cold (-20C), freezing, melting, ice, snow). I do take good care of my shoes which obviously helps.

I asked from my friends at VeganEssentials who have been selling Sanders shoes about he quality of them and they praised the shoes having been of superb quality. If I recall right, only one pair had quality issues and they have sold many, many pairs (a three number digit). Looking forward to get things going with Sanders.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
I had a pair of captoe oxfords. I got them several years ago. They were not well-constructed, appearing to be glued together and of a material no better than what I would find in Payless (an extremely low-end shoe store in the U.S.). I ended up selling them on eBay.

The Sanders are made of excellent material and are put together like a real shoe should be constructed. It helps that Sanders is an established Northampton shoemaker (if I remember correctly).

tuc

Reaction score
You should definitely try the new range of Vegetarian Shoes then. For example the oxford cap shoe I've ordered is made using fully repairable Goodyear welt method.

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/me...k/12666_p.html

I don't want to buy any glued shoes anymore because of some pairs (not Vegetarian Shoes though) have really let me down and I've ended up spending way more money on shoes compared to buying good ones to begin with.

I'm more and more waiting to get my hands on Sanders shoes! Also, you remembered correctly, they are located right next to Northampton: in Rushden, Northamptonshire.

stillerfan07

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for the vegans/vegatarians, how many calories are you consuming per day? For those of you who lift and exercise, how do you maintain your protein levels without losing muscle mass?
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NhhacaiFCB8