• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the contrast/saturation is off, that looks just like Minnis Flannel 0315 (13/14 oz). I don't know many other similar chalked flannel that are this blue (almost denim)

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally received my tonik from the ebay link. It's darker than I thought it would and looks like it'll be used for a tux. Has anyone ever made a three piece which consisted of a single breasted, double breasted, and pants?

fassbinder

Reaction score

What is this obsession with tonik? Its not as good as the old stuff, and there are so many better warm-weather alternatives out there such as tropicals and frescos. Mohair also tends to be shiny, something I rather avoid.

agree with you that the old stuff was completely different and i prefer it, it hangs like iron and has a beautiful drape. but others may prefer the lighter and smoother looking new stuff. i guess part of the obsession with tonik was its history as a legendary cloth for mods and other cool Brits like Caine in Get Carter, but it was a really great cloth. It might have been the original, but there were other good 3ply mohairs back in the day, like Lesser's Lesslon or Scabal's Titan.

disagree that tropicals or frescos are better alternatives, just different. fresco is more rustic in appearance, mohair is sharper, i like both. both are fairly light weight, open weave for good air circulation and both hardly wrinkle. good mohair may have a shine, but it is usually not too shiny and anyway that is part of the appeal, i find it sharp. both mohair and fresco are better than tropicals for warm weather, for the reason already stated, open weave and minimal wrinkles. but if you hate the shine of mohair i can see using tropicals instead, especially in conservative environments. also the patterns for mohair and fresco is pretty limited. with tropicals options are endless.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finally received my tonik from the ebay link. It's darker than I thought it would and looks like it'll be used for a tux. Has anyone ever made a three piece which consisted of a single breasted, double breasted, and pants?

Voxsartoria posted about doing this a while back.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is this obsession with tonik? Its not as good as the old stuff, and there are so many better warm-weather alternatives out there such as tropicals and frescos. Mohair also tends to be shiny, something I rather avoid.

I'm looking for one blue suit and only one blue suit. I liked the look of the tonik suits that Mr Field showed me just not the price :(. I don't really wear suits in the summer, the tonik will be my go to blue suit until I have more funds to purchase more suits on the regular. This argument could be switched around and asked why everyone on this forum is so pressed about soft tailoring?

Voxsartoria posted about doing this a while back.

Does anybody have pictures of how this turned out for him?

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know ^^

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a Tonik suit. I like it, but use it only as an evening suit. It's too shiny to wear during the day, and also doesn't wear as cool as fresco IME.

If I were to have only one blue suit, it would definitely not be Tonik.

Yikes, I guess I don't want to second guess myself. I've also looked at Harrison's Oyster 75769 for the go to blue suit, but I mostly wear gray suits when I dress up for work. The tonik will fit the bill for my other suit in terms of going out or just getting dressed up. The fabric wasn't too shiny until we took it out into the sun to compare samples. I also bought a bolt of the LL flannel for a blue suit in the winter. I think two blue suits is more than enough and will most likely be my last purchase of a suit for sometime.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The depth of color in high quality mohair cloth (and at least 90%mohair) has no equal.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads