• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underrated Designers and Brands

Beeropez

Reaction score
Riviera Club in person is quite satisfying. It's definitely well made and fits great. The price is good, so yes, I'd agree that RC is way under appreciated.

Also, seems like a lot of people don't care for Odyn Vovk because of how young he is, and also that he's a RO and Julius clone (although i don't really agree), but his leathers are GORGEOUS. And much cheaper than most other seasoned overpriced designers. His leather jackets are stunning

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hkstyles
issey miyake
bean pole

Beanpole is quality, have a mariner striped shirt from them, great detailing.

Just searched Agnes B on eBay, some nice pieces for cheap (especially if you're on the market for floral prints).

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Re: Odyn Vovk, I don't think I can appreciate him as much as if I was really into that aesthetic but even as an outsider I like his stuff. Austin (the designer) has a great sense of what he does as well as a great "**** you" sense of humor that comes with the awareness of being called a "clone" by the SZ crowd. He openly admits that he'd probably do better financially and in terms of recognition if he were based in NYC but he didn't want to be associated with all of that and be lost in the masses.

And yes, his leathers are fantastic in person.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Underrated around the forum that is! Given the wide range of diff styles, good quality and so on... not to mention successfull japanese styling.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Are those waxed? I bet same drapey silent/ann d/etc. tops would look good with it. Got me on footwear, though.
Not waxed, black garment dye wash. They sit above the knee, so long shirts leave me looking like im wearing boxers. They looked good at the store, now i cant find **** to wear em with.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Think I saw those shorts on ssense. Seems like you could wear them with just about anything. Any T with some summer kicks would do. Don't overthink it!

What do people think of LOVA? Some of their stuff looks good in pics, but I handled one shirt not long ago (blue plaid short sleeve button down) that was apparently left over stock from Gilt and it felt kinda ******. Fabric felt like paper rather than cotton. I don't know if it was some bullshit they made just to sell cheap on Gilt or not though. Any experiences with their stuff?

MockProper

Reaction score
Maybe I will subject myself to some harsh criticism by stating this but I really love N.I.C.E. Collective...what is the general consensus of this brand on here? I have a closet full of their stuff and personally love every piece. Joe and Ian are super awesome guys as well. Seems like a label with good energy behind it and the majority of their stuff is made right here in the USA.

How come they dont get more love on the forum?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Have you considered visiting these United States, particularly Vermont?

He'll fit right in san francisco
redface.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone say Miharayasuhiro?

Also feels weird to agree with Whodini but Odyn Vovk is wicked good. Blows away anything else in that market and pricepoint. Not super original but everything looks great and is well made.

Nice Collective is garbage. Really poorly cut and way too expensive for what it is.

S2A is really hit or miss. I love a lot of their jewelry and outerwear but then they'll do some really dumb graphic tees.

Class54

Reaction score
Not sure how underrated these brands are, but here are some labels not featured often that deserve a look:

Buzz Rickson (while heavily overpriced, still worth a look)
Reiss (UK) (solid go-to brand)
a diciannoveventitre (formerly Augusta Footwear)
MG Black Labe (outerwear)
Mister Freedom (ocbds, chinos)
Nonnative (Japanese outerwear)
N. Hoolywood (another Japanese brand with a lot of interesting pieces)
Public School (overpriced, a lot of hype, but still well-designed and worth it on discount)
Neighborhood (Luker line is interesting)

I would also like to mention Calvin Klein Collection (the line designed by Italo Zucchelli). A lot of great stuff from this line.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
He'll fit right in san francisco
redface.gif

Berkeley or Humboldt Co., for sure. NiCo is an odd brand. The pieces I've liked the most weren't part of the military aesthetic, but the pieces I do own are. What has caught my eye when previewing the collections tended to get picked up in limited amounts (if at all) by buyers, probably because they were looking more for a military-type company to fit that niche in their store. But their boots are famously awesome. The most common complaint about NiCo is the price. The fabrics and construction have been consistently good it's just that one must REALLY want to buy into the (over)design of that piece to justify the price tag. My corduroy pants have paneled legs, riri zippers, and are made in the US; I have to wonder how many customers can appreciate that enough to warrant the $300+ retail. They've tried reaching the lower-end consumer through their non-diffusion label Martin, which is an underrated brand considering the price and quality. N. Hoolywood has some great stuff but it's always seemed like a Japanese (read:expensive) take on APC. Pretty sure S2A jewelry and S2A clothing have nothing to do with each other, much like this now-defunct NYC brand that I can't remember off the top of my head.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
N.Hollywood has some really nice pants, and they tend to get marked down decently at Blackbird (in the $100s) NiCo combat boots =
inlove.gif
There's a pair on ebay right now for cheapish

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads