• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

till507

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, but I'm looking for button downs with the similar slim, tapered fit and shorter length of Band of Outsiders minus the sticker shock. I really like what I'm seeing from MJK and Gitman Vintage...anyone else that I should be looking at? Obviously, the cheaper the better.

Also does anyone else do that box pleat/darts combo like BoO? I'd imagine a tailor would have no problem doing them, right?

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by till507
I cosign on Spring Courts being ridiculously comfortable - a slightly cheaper option that I've found are Asics Onitsuka Tiger brand shoes, specifically the Ultimate 81s. Zappos has em for $66.95. Also, yeah, stay away from Converse. I'm breaking in some Chucks right now and feel like my feet are strapped to planks of wood. They're brutal.

All you people that like big cushiony soles are weird.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by till507
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, but I'm looking for button downs with the similar slim, tapered fit and shorter length of Band of Outsiders minus the sticker shock. I really like what I'm seeing from MJK and Gitman Vintage...anyone else that I should be looking at? Obviously, the cheaper the better.

Also does anyone else do that box pleat/darts combo like BoO? I'd imagine a tailor would have no problem doing them, right?

Uniqlo BDs are a good slim fit for me, not too tight, but since you're in Chicago, I don't know if you want to phone order without trying them on. HM is another obvious choice, but alot of the shirts are pretty thin with cheap feeling material.

Originally Posted by aeglus
I run a 2 miles a day in Chucks, they're the best once you break in the heel.

I've seen people exercise in cons, and I still don't understand how they do it. A day of walking in my old pair, and my feet would be sore as hell.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raginberriodoom
I've seen people exercise in cons, and I still don't understand how they do it. A day of walking in my old pair, and my feet would be sore as hell.

Recall that they're basketball shoes. Granted, not the most cutting edge design, but they were used as athletic shoes for a long time.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
anyone suggest me a nice navy blazer? something for $300 or less please. versatile wardrobe piece that i do not yet own but i don't want ot break bank on. i guess a nice dark, navy would suffice. not lapel, versatile piece. not expecting top of the line quality, just a nice blazer.
Originally Posted by bye4now122
In for this answer. I've grown out of my Brooks Brothers one and need a new blazer, and I'm not sure where to go. I'm looking for around the same price range too.
Just at a quick guess I'd think something like Polo will get you a decently made, modern styled navy blazer for that price or less.
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Looking for leather pants, skinny fit. Any suggestions?
Really? Crotchless or assless?
shog[1].gif
Have you thought about coated/waxed denim? They'll probably be a lot more comfortable but still give that leathery sheen
Originally Posted by aeglus
I run a 2 miles a day in Chucks, they're the best once you break in the heel.
Oh good, cause right now I'm working on my first pair of chucks and they're REALLY uncomfortable. I just thought it was all part of the pain to look good. Any idea roughly how long this is going to take before they "warm up". Any way of expediting that process?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Oh good, cause right now I'm working on my first pair of chucks and they're REALLY uncomfortable. I just thought it was all part of the pain to look good. Any idea roughly how long this is going to take before they "warm up". Any way of expediting that process?

Usually takes me two weeks to get them to comfort level, and a bit longer to get them to second skin level. Only way to really get them going is wear them as much as possible and suck up the pain.

If it's the flat sole that hurts though, not going to fix that much. Mine are always originally too tight and the heel cuts into my skin causing some bleeding. I just sorta deal with it until they get better. I'm also the only person I know that actually runs in Chucks though so I could be crazy.

zetazeta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zetazeta
looking for a nice casual/semi-formal white dress shirt... that goes well with dark jeans + sneakers to give a semi-formal look!

something that looks somewaht stylish yet isnt too expensive :p

uppp

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thats pretty generic man.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a khaki workshirt. Think Jack Kerouac.

If I don't find one, maybe I'll just get a white one from J. Crew and try to dye it.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Since I now work at Walmart.....
plain.gif
.....does anybody have any recommendations for decent-looking sneakers that are comfortable enough to stand and walk in all day?

PF Flyers. I've owned two pairs and think they're great for the price.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ludey, thanks. To anyone else who's looking for a shirt like that, I ended up going with this, in the "stone" color. I like to think that Kerouac or the other beatniks actually might've owned some things from LL Bean. I'm sure it'll be baggy on me, but that's part of the charm.

bunny4eva

Reaction score
Could I please have some quick recommendations for quality grey, black or navy trousers/pants to wear in the winter (10-15* C) when I'm bored of denim? What are the usual suggestions for something wool/twill, or maybe chino for all seasons?

How are J Crew and Ralph Lauren for quality/price? I can readily try on some RL things in Sydney, but J Crew I will have to guess+proxy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viratwilliiame