• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Doctor

Reaction score
(C) are J. Shoes "Rider" boots. If you're a size 8, there's a pair at half price from Endless (slightly different colour though) http://www.endless.com/J-Shoes-Mens-...nds=J.%20Shoes (a) Hush Puppies "Asher" (b) J Shoes "Mojave 2" I think (c) is a nice shoe, but not certain it's the best for the purpose I want as an all round casual shoe with jeans. Then again... Maybe it's cool.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about wearing boots. What's the APC NS of boots?

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Thinking about wearing boots. What's the APC NS of boots?

You mean what boot looks good and fits well but is made of inferior material and deforms easily?

Hmm... converse makes combat boots.

BtA

Reaction score
In need of dire help here. I neglected my wardrobe for 30 years (well, I guess I can discount those first 15 where I really didn't have a choice in the matter), and pretty much need to start fresh. I work somewhere that cargo shorts and button down short-sleves shirts are the norm for summer. I'm also going through a divorce, so I have to be a tad on the thirfty side (ebay or just do really well on sales)

I'm 6'2", 198 lbs ... So, basically I'm an XL up top, and a size 36 (trending towards 34, luckily) below.

After lurking a while here, I really like Ben Sherman and Paul Smith stuff. I wouldn't mind dressing a bit sharper than my sloppy t-shirt and flip-flop wearing colleagues, but don't want to look like I'm their manager either.

Suggestions on some labels for short-sleves shirts and shorts that don't make me look like I'm traveling backwards in time or trying to look like i'm either 30 going on 20 or 30 going on fifty?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Slob in Milwaukee

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
You mean what boot looks good and fits well but is made of inferior material and deforms easily?

Hmm... converse makes combat boots.

The boot that is the go to recommendation when someone says they're looking for boots.

sploosh

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a thick knit sweater with a zipper, kind of like this LL Bean, in the $100 range?
IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6621.JPG

[email protected]

Reaction score
Might want to poke around Orvis, most of their sweaters hover around the $100.

Can anyone recommend some slim-to-skinny chinos with a button fly around the <$150 range?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got reccomendations for a 36W jean with 8" leg opening? I like imperial shearers, but anything else I'll just have to put a taper in.

Is that pretty much what people do anyway?

Lachy

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but to taper, don't they have to undo the hem, taper, then redo the hem? Not a problem with Diesel, 7FM or others, but with our artisinal Japanese repro style jeans, which are chain stitched, if you don't get it done by Kiya or someone at the time of purchase, with the right equipment (which I highly doubt you'll find here in Australia, let alone Brisbane), you'll be losing something that makes your jeans special.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy, I have a pair of Samurai S5000BKs I'd love to taper!

Raz, we have to beer it up soon!

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure thing dude.

Uni is **** atm, I have no life and no bank.

Will be much better around september or so dude!

Yeah, people do it, apparently you can keep the selvage line.

Chainstitching I don't worry about so much. More the quality thread, like going from cotton poly core to whatever rubbish they use at the alterations lady.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Anyone got reccomendations for a 36W jean with 8" leg opening? I like imperial shearers, but anything else I'll just have to put a taper in.

Is that pretty much what people do anyway?

DRKSHDW berlin taper down to less than 8" at the leg opening.

Here's an example in a 34:

I like them a lot, though you aren't getting really fancy denim.

Diors are also that small, and the entire universe seems to think they're nice pants, but I've never so much as seen a pair in person.

I'm a 34, and I haven't had much luck finding small-ish leg openings at that size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads