• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-building a wardrobe and changing my style a tad...

generallissimo

Reaction score
Hey Styleforum, I've been hanging around and reading for week or two... I ended up here because I have been thinking of overhauling my wardrobe a bit as I haven't been giving it much thought in the past few years and I'm a bit out of it. The other thing being lot of my favorite clothes no longer fit and the ones I have been wearing mostly are pieces I picked up out of convenience rather than because I liked them.

I'm hoping some of you could throw some ideas my way but let me know if this is the wrong forum to ask this kind of question. But let me give some context with regards to my current wardrobe and what I feel is missing in it.

1. Shirts - a lot of Ben Sherman, some PS Paul Smith checked shirts, some Costume National (both Homme and CNC), some An Phuoc (a Vietnamese brand that has aligned itself somehow with Pierre Cardin), some old Wings + Horns, some Shanghai Tang and some linen by Journal Standard.
    • I'm in my mid thirties now and I no longer feel much affinity towards Ben Sherman as I think I need to move away from a preppy look at this point in my life.
    • PS Paul Smith ones are great but I can't seem to find any shirts of similar style in NY Soho or London Covent Garden stores.
    • Costume National ones are from like 10 years ago, I still love them but they no longer fit and I can't bring myself to get rid of them even though I no longer wear them.
  2. T-shirts - lots of band t-shirts I buy at concerts...
  3. Jeans - I have 2 pairs of Syoaiya that I love... I'd love to hear about other Japanese jeans that I should consider. Though I don't buy raw denim and usually stick to 1 wash or something that is a little more comfortable to wear from the beginning. Also Blue in Green in NYC still the place to go?
  4. Pants - I have stuck to John Varvatos and Paul Smith consistently over the years as I really like their jean-like but not-jean pants. I have never liked chinos and I don't really have occasions to wear dress pants, so this is mostly it.
  5. Jackets - My favorite jacket is a no-name brand 3/4th length peacoat like Jacket I bought at a no-name discount store in Paris. Also have an old beaten down punk jacket by Fenchurch and some Paul Smith overcoat.
  6. Shoes - I mostly alternate between a beaten down pairs of Common Projects and a beaten down pair of Doc Martens. I have a pair of Yohji Yamamoto Y3 dressy sneaker that I absolutely love so I rarely wear it as I don't want to ruin it as Yohji Yamamoto does not seem to make any dressy sneakers anymore. I used to have some Chelsea boots by them as well that I wore until I destroyed it. I have a pair of leather chelsea boots but I don't wear them as they aren't that comfortable.
  7. Accessories - almost none... this is where I need to really step up. I love the Atelier Wan thread and I can't wait for their kickstarter.
So you can get a sense for my style preference from some of the above hopefully. Most of what I used to wear is not the same as it were when I got into wearing those designers clothes as styles have changed or I can't find the same stuff anymore. Also I feel like I'm limiting myself to just a hand full of brands and I don't want to be the guy that wears the same shoes 7 days a week (which I do now).

My style is mostly minimalist with a hint of flair... but I feel like it's a bit boring and I need to step up my game. So folks, help me out will you?

Last edited:

Pete E

Reaction score
Hey Styleforum, I've been hanging around and reading for week or two... I ended up here because I have been thinking of overhauling my wardrobe a bit as I haven't been giving it much thought in the past few years and I'm a bit out of it. The other thing being lot of my favorite clothes no longer fit and the ones I have been wearing mostly are pieces I picked up out of convenience rather than because I liked them.

I'm hoping some of you could throw some ideas my way but let me know if this is the wrong forum to ask this kind of question. But let me give some context with regards to my current wardrobe and what I feel is missing in it.

1. Shirts - a lot of Ben Sherman, some PS Paul Smith checked shirts, some Costume National (both Homme and CNC), some An Phuoc (a Vietnamese brand that has aligned itself somehow with Pierre Cardin), some old Wings + Horns, some Shanghai Tang and some linen by Journal Standard.
    • I'm in my mid thirties now and I no longer feel much affinity towards Ben Sherman as I think I need to move away from a preppy look at this point in my life.
    • PS Paul Smith ones are great but I can't seem to find any shirts of similar style in NY Soho or London Covent Garden stores.
    • Costume National ones are from like 10 years ago, I still love them but they no longer fit and I can't bring myself to get rid of them even though I no longer wear them.
  2. T-shirts - lots of band t-shirts I buy at concerts...
  3. Jeans - I have 2 pairs of Syoaiya that I love... I'd love to hear about other Japanese jeans that I should consider. Though I don't buy raw denim and usually stick to 1 wash or something that is a little more comfortable to wear from the beginning. Also Blue in Green in NYC still the place to go?
  4. Pants - I have stuck to John Varvatos and Paul Smith consistently over the years as I really like their jean-like but not-jean pants. I have never liked chinos and I don't really have occasions to wear dress pants, so this is mostly it.
  5. Jackets - My favorite jacket is a no-name brand 3/4th length peacoat like Jacket I bought at a no-name discount store in Paris. Also have an old beaten down punk jacket by Fenchurch and some Paul Smith overcoat.
  6. Shoes - I mostly alternate between a beaten down pairs of Common Projects and a beaten down pair of Doc Martens. I have a pair of Yohji Yamamoto Y3 dressy sneaker that I absolutely love so I rarely wear it as I don't want to ruin it as Yohji Yamamoto does not seem to make any dressy sneakers anymore. I used to have some Chelsea boots by them as well that I wore until I destroyed it. I have a pair of leather chelsea boots but I don't wear them as they aren't that comfortable.
  7. Accessories - almost none... this is where I need to really step up. I love the Atelier Wan thread and I can't wait for their kickstarter.
So you can get a sense for my style preference from some of the above hopefully. Most of what I used to wear is not the same as it were when I got into wearing those designers clothes as styles have changed or I can't find the same stuff anymore. Also I feel like I'm limiting myself to just a hand full of brands and I don't want to be the guy that wears the same shoes 7 days a week (which I do now).

My style is mostly minimalist with a hint of flair... but I feel like it's a bit boring and I need to step up my game. So folks, help me out will you?

What you are asking is quite difficult, even with the information in your post...

Any re style will have to fit in to both the personal and professional parts of your life, although you may end up with a style for a each...

The first thing I would do is cull your wardrobe down of anything that doesn't fit, is hideously unfashionable or is no longer appropriate to the new you...

Then decide if any of your existing items fit in with the direction you want to move and if so build off them..

Sometimes it helps if you can find pics on line of the "look"/ "style" you wish to move towards...This is especially so if you can find a celebrity of similar age who's dress style you particularly like... I don't suggest you then copy, but use them as an inspiration/template from where you can start...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads