• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Advice for 5'11" 170lb guy

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Thanks y'all - I am size 36 - 38 so sounds like I should go with a 9.25cm lapel (tailor recommended 9.5cm). Wish there was a guide visual guide I could find highlighting the differences

Attached are the options he provided for cummerbunds and waistcoats

Out of those 4 I like number 2 (single breasted) the most. It looks a bit pointed or closer to a V than a U which I think is a bit worrisome. I'm not sure about having lapels on the waistcoat either.
I would opt for something like pictured below if going with a waistcoat.
Screenshot_20190918_073551.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190918_073551.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918_073551.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 116

perfectstitch

Reaction score
Thanks - I imagine there is some flexibility around the waistcoat (I could probably ask for peak lapels for example) so if anyone has a picture of suggested style that would be great!

Also, think there is some flexibility around the peak lapel style if there are any pictures that would serve as a good model for PeterLee (tailor)

perfectstitch

Reaction score
The Tuxedo came in from my tailor and unfortunately I'm not thrilled with the result. Here is what I'm planning to email my tailor, but I'm not really sure what, if any, solution there is to be had. If there is anything else you think I should pass along let me know, and if you think I'm crazy and these aren't issues happy to hear that too!

1. Jacket Length: The jacket is quite short. As you can see in the pictures, it barely makes it to my wrists.
2. Jacket Tightness: The jacket is also quite tight around the button and in general seems too small (and I've lost weight since our fitting).
3. Jacket Button Placement: The button should be lower, and I think we had specified that. That would allow for more of the white shirt to show. The button seems too high and tight.
4. Lapel: The lapel cuts do not seem to be symmetrical, and one lapel even goes up over the shoulder.
5. Lapel Cut: The lapel does not seem to be as "pointy" as the pictures in the options you shared. It seems the peak/point is much higher on the shoulder - on my right side the peak is so vertical and high (instead of outward) that it goes over my shoulder. In the pictures you sent (which I've attached) the peak is much lower and points outward toward the shoulders.
6. Waistcoat Back: The back of the waistcoat is dark blue (matches the lining). Is that normal? I would have thought the entire waistcoat would be black.
7. Shirt Collar: Looks to be a spread collar versus a turndown collar? Not the end of the world and am less concerned with this.

Overall the jacket seems too small because it is both too short and seems to be too tight. If it was too large I suppose I could try to take it to a local tailor to get repaired but I'm not sure what to do about this.

The trousers seem good on a first wear.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2457_cropped.jpg
    IMG_2457_cropped.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 85
  • tuxedo styles.jpg
    tuxedo styles.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2456 (1).JPG
    IMG_2456 (1).JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

J.Odelius

Reaction score
How unfortunate that it did not go as well as you had hoped.

1. Agree. The jacket is very short for my tastes as well. I dont think its possible to make it longer though.
2. Jacket being tight might be fixed by letting out the jacket a bit. You should probably do it at a local shop though so they can measure how much to let it out. 3. Button placement looks fine I think. Could be a little lower but with the jacket so short I think its in the right place. Hard to tell from the pictures though.
4. Ive heard that lapelwork is hard. Hopefully it can be fixed but I agree it looks crooked.
5. Nothing to comment.
6. Waistcoats usually have the same back as the suit lining. I wouldnt worry about it.
7. Nothing to comment.

Hope it works out for you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads