• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser creases: Yea or nay?

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
I recently ordered two pairs of trousers from Luxire and failed to specify that I didn't want a crease in them. So, I'm now the proud owner of pants I didn't intend to order.

Are there any 'rules'/guidelines for how I should wear them, or are creased trousers interchangeable with their uncreased counterparts? I've never given the matter any thought and my inclination is to just treat them interchangeably.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
What exactly is the purpose of the crease? Is it to give a more 'formal' look? I never paid attention to this (or many other things, frankly).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes - gives it a more tailored/pressed look. My casual trousers (chinos, moleskin, corduroy) I wear ironed but not creased. My dressier trousers, even casual suit trousers (tweed, flannel), will always be pressed.

Arthur_Dent

Reaction score
The crease disappears on its own after wearing it a couple of times. Depending on the material it will usually take 5-20 wears for it to vanish. If you want to get rid of it put your iron on maximum steam and just iron it out, but a lot of us take the time to press the crease in the trousers and keep it there! A nice video (don't forget to turn on subtitles):

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They can be worn interchangeably. A crease will make the trousers look a bit smarter. In the past, creases were also put into trousers to help deal with baggy knees. This is more of an issue with materials such as flannel. Although, few people today have the tools or access to tailors who can reshape a trouser line, so the crease is mostly put in for aesthetic purposes.

I find that some men today wear very slim trousers, and a crease helps shape the pant so that it covers more of the front of the shoe. Something to consider

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
They can be worn interchangeably. A crease will make the trousers look a bit smarter. In the past, creases were also put into trousers to help deal with baggy knees. This is more of an issue with materials such as flannel. Although, few people today have the tools or access to tailors who can reshape a trouser line, so the crease is mostly put in for aesthetic purposes.

I find that some men today wear very slim trousers, and a crease helps shape the pant so that it covers more of the front of the shoe. Something to consider
Interesting. Thanks. If I understand you correctly, the crease becomes more of a necessity for flannel trousers due to the nature of that fabric?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks. If I understand you correctly, the crease becomes more of a necessity for flannel trousers due to the nature of that fabric?

Sorry, my comment was written hastily and probably wasn't that clear.

There are a few reasons why ou might want a crease in your trousers

1. They look smarter
2. They help elongate the leg line
3. They help with the folding and hanging of pants
4. It's a more traditional look on tailored trousers (at least the non-casual kind, so excluding jeans)
5. If you wear very slim trousers, they help push the fabric forward, helping to mitigate some of the bad effects of wearing very slim pants.

Back in the day, some companies sold trouser presses, which helped keep a crease in trousers. Some of these companies claimed that it helped prevent bagging at the knee. This is more of an issue on soft woolens, such as flannel, rather than hard worsteds. This is an ad from 1884 or so.

img_602f470d356c5.jpeg
ad.jpeg

And an ad in The Washington Post printed about a decade later

img_602f470e35d53.jpeg

I don't own a trouser press, but I've heard some tailors reshaping wool trousers, including on baggy knees, by using a hot iron. I don't know if trouser presses actually work as they claim. I don't think they're sold anymore, but you can find vintage ones on eBay.

Realistically, however, few men have a trouser press or even access to a tailor who can mitigate these effects. So the crease in trousers is mostly an aesthetic choice. On a hard worsted, particularly high-twist wools such as tropical wool, a crease sets in pretty hard. No idea if you can iron it out, but I suppose you can. On a soft woolen such as flannel, they fall out after a few wears, depending on the fabric's weight. I don't bother ironing new creases into my soft woolen trousers -- it's just too much of a hassle. But I get them initially on all my trousers that are not strictly casual (e.g., not on corduroys or chinos). And on those pairs that hold a crease, I appreciate how they look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads