• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel shoes — what’s your approach?

lichmd

Reaction score
What do you do for shoes when traveling? Particularly on shorter business trips, I don’t want to bring any other footwear than what is on my feet. I refuse to wear sneakers, even though my industry is very casual, so that’s not an option. I’ve kind of defaulted to Tod’s gomminos, they’re comfortable and easy to slip off and on when going through security, but they don’t offer much in the way of support, have a limited life, and have other disadvantages. I’m wondering if I should go to an EG loafer, or even a Dover. What is your solution to this problem?
I wear a pair of Allbirds X Jeff Staple sneakers onboard if a multi day trip I’ll pack a pair of Cleverly horsebit loafers in brown.
If Winter on the East coast, I’ll pack a pair of Alden’s with commando soles.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Astonished that you’re all wearing stiff/suede shoes for travel. I guess you’re not walking and it’s not raining if you’re ever traveling?

I appreciate the post and found myself in the same conundrum recently. Whether for business or personal travel, I take a pair of lightweight Nikes for exercise, some simple sneakers (all navy/brown/white tend to go with most outfits) for casual and very extensive walking days, and then a pair of loafers for smart/formal outfits. This is usually the most I’ll bring as I don’t do anything more than a carry on. I typically wore shell for my smart option and have brought suede but find them hard to wear for long days and hate to degrade suede when it’s raining (especially pouring down - and who has room to pack a brush or the time to consider it).

I realized that the likely best option is a pair of dark brown unlined loafers in a tumbled leather/calf situation. The closest option that I’ve found is these Meermin loafers but my past experience with them is that they’re impossible to break in. Would love suggestions on these types of shoes, ideally with a rubber sole.
Crockett & Jones Harvard will come with a slim rubber sole. Standard for that is dark brown grain, but you can special order from anything else. Black shell might be the best thing if you need durability, but that's your call. The C&J outlets will work (London or NY), and Ben Silver has a decent selection.

As everyone has managed to testify, there is no single answer that will always work.

The Louche V2

Reaction score
I too want to keep the number of shoes I bring to a minimum. Lately, I have settled on dirty bucks and a pair of jogging shoes.

The jogging shoes are absolutely mandatory for the gym (I rarely skip a day), and I don’t see any flexibility in that point.

The “everything else” shoes are trickier. To me, dirty bucks go with everything from jeans or even shorts to a business suit, they’re comfortable, and they’re worryless. A pair of suede chukkas would be similar in mode, but they look silly with shorts.

The problem here is day-night appropriateness. Technically, one should wear black shoes to a nice restaurant after 6pm. Burgundy would be a reasonable alternative that looks better during the day. But few people adhere to such standards anymore, so it’s futile to worry.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I alternate between loafers that go with the outfits I intend to wear during that trip and Chelsea boots (definitely during the winter) because they are both easy to get in and out of (there is a world outside the US where "shoes off" can still be mandatory)

more often than not, I opt for the boots because they are too big and heavy for a carryon anyway, especially including their shoetrees, but ideal for off-duty time, and protect better against the elements

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how to get in touch with me.

Shell cordovan or go home.

To answer the question no one should have asked, flipflops or anything open toe on a plane is some taking your life into your own hands ish. You may as well book a preappointment for a fungal infection.
You know how to get in touch with me.

Shell cordovan or go home.

To answer the question no one should have asked, flipflops or anything open toe on a plane is some taking your life into your own hands ish. You may as well book a preappointment for a fungal infection.
Open toes on a plane (or anywhere except the beach) are also vulgar and antisocial. Nobody wants to see a man’s toes! The only thing worse on a plane is a guy with hairy arms in a tank top. I’ve seen that too.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open toes on a plane (or anywhere except the beach) are also vulgar and antisocial. Nobody wants to see a man’s toes! The only thing worse on a plane is a guy with hairy arms in a tank top. I’ve seen that too.
Open toes in an airport are crazy. Escalators, moving walkways, crowds of people with rolling luggage, and more.

I'll usually wear comfortable brown derbies with rubber soles, that go with jeans and a blue suit, but I rarely have reason to bring the blue suit. A compact shoe horn in my pocket. And a pair of sneakers for more casual or athletic use at the destination. I fill the sneakers with socks or other small items, and put them in my luggage and wear the derbies. Easy access to fresh clean socks in the carry-on is always part of the plan. On the plane, I loosen the knot and loosen the laces, and tuck the ends in if necessary so they won't flap. Loose shoes are nice on the plane.

No, I don't use a credit card for a shoe horn. The last thing I need when traveling is to break my credit card.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones Harvard will come with a slim rubber sole. Standard for that is dark brown grain, but you can special order from anything else. Black shell might be the best thing if you need durability, but that's your call. The C&J outlets will work (London or NY), and Ben Silver has a decent selection.

As everyone has managed to testify, there is no single answer that will always work.
Ben Silver was a lifesaver with the Harvard’s. They have more versions than main C&J stocks.

I’ve always appreciated natural fabrics for tailoring and refuse any synthetic blends apart from undergarments. Same applies to shoes. Technical fabrics for technical activities but natural stuff for everything else.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open toes in an airport are crazy. Escalators, moving walkways, crowds of people with rolling luggage, and more.

I'll usually wear comfortable brown derbies with rubber soles, that go with jeans and a blue suit, but I rarely have reason to bring the blue suit. A compact shoe horn in my pocket. And a pair of sneakers for more casual or athletic use at the destination. I fill the sneakers with socks or other small items, and put them in my luggage and wear the derbies. Easy access to fresh clean socks in the carry-on is always part of the plan. On the plane, I loosen the knot and loosen the laces, and tuck the ends if necessary in so they won't flap. Loose shoes are nice on the plane.

No, I don't use a credit card for a shoe horn. The last thing I need when traveling is to break my credit card.
Open toes? Totally agree. I never show my feet to other humans. Nicely fitting loafers or Chelsea’s carry the day for me.

The Louche V2

Reaction score
My favorite travel shoes are Baudoin & Lange Strides. They work for everything short of a suit, the rubber sole is good for long walks and inclement weather, and they're just very very comfortable.
Ever tried Belgian Shoes’ Mr. Casual model? I am jonesing for a pair, but I hear they’re delicate and maybe not a great value.

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
If I can only take one pair of shoes, and I know I will need to wear a suit during my business trip at least once, then for me it’s a very simple choice.
I take my R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman in black yearling leather. They are smart and can be worn with both formal and casual wear while providing the comfort of a running shoe; and because they don’t have laces they can quickly be put on and off which making going through airport security a breeze.

The Louche V2

Reaction score
If I can only take one pair of shoes, and I know I will need to wear a suit during my business trip at least once, then for me it’s a very simple choice.
I take my R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman in black yearling leather. They are smart and can be worn with both formal and casual wear while providing the comfort of a running shoe; and because they don’t have laces they can quickly be put on and off which making going through airport security a breeze.
But black looks a bit severe during the day, don’t you think?

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
Ever tried Belgian Shoes’ Mr. Casual model? I am jonesing for a pair, but I hear they’re delicate and maybe not a great value.
No, but I have a pair of Baudoin & Lange Sangan Belgian loafers. While the leather is extremely supple and buttery; even with the addition of the non-slip sole protectors it’s like skating on ice on any tiled or polished surface as they didn’t apply non-slip protectors to the bare leather heels. They’re also very noisy when walking on any surface that is not carpeted so immediately gives the impression of someone approaching in a pair of 6 inch stilettos.

letsgofire

Reaction score

I think the issue is the sole, which is rather thin. That doesn't seem practical if one has to do much walking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads