• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel shoes — what’s your approach?

montecristo#2

Reaction score
What do you do for shoes when traveling? Particularly on shorter business trips, I don’t want to bring any other footwear than what is on my feet. I refuse to wear sneakers, even though my industry is very casual, so that’s not an option. I’ve kind of defaulted to Tod’s gomminos, they’re comfortable and easy to slip off and on when going through security, but they don’t offer much in the way of support, have a limited life, and have other disadvantages. I’m wondering if I should go to an EG loafer, or even a Dover. What is your solution to this problem?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally bring a shoe that fits me well, is not easily scuffed (so frequently cordovan) and is versatile for day and evening wear. Black shell is usually a good pick in this respect.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I'd recommend not making decisions based on airport security, and I don't know how this ever became a thing, since the shoes part is done and dusted after about 30 seconds. Quite frankly, emptying your pockets, going through the scanner, and then inevitably realizing you hadn't actually emptied your pockets is a bigger hassle. That at taking off your belt, or having them wand you if you have suspenders.

Anyway to answer your question, I travel a lot for work and also like packing light, so my go-to is a pair of dark brown suede chukkas with rubber soles that I got for $60 at Nordstrom. They work with everything from jeans all the way to a flannel suit, are just as suitable for the manufacturing floor as they are for dinner afterwards, and are passable for going to any janky hotel gym you might stop at. The dark brown suede also hides all scuffs and stains, perfect for if things get messy on day 1 of a two week trip.

For trips where I know I'll be wearing a suit or SC + trousers the whole time and won't have time to wander off by myself, I like a pair of Fugashin lazyman brogues for the convenience and comfort.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually have one pair of loafers and one pair of bluchers for the average trip. If I'm going on business, it'll be two pairs of oxfords one of which I would wear on the plane.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Alternative to the Tod’s gomminos, you probably will like a loafer in the style of summer walks/ open walks? These are great travel shoes as well. The open walks can also be dressed a little dressier if you opt for a regular colour.

Blastwice

Reaction score
I want to wear nice shoes always, but I do worry about all the sharp edges in planes. However, with care, I have worn shell and calf through the whole process without any major issues.

I usually reach for something in either suede or horsehide when I'm traveling. Single Leather + Toppy or a thin rubber sole can get you through most weather, but depending on the destination and activities, a dainite-type sole also works well. When you travel the last thing you want are heavy shoes weighing you down so with that in mind I had a MTM pair of loafers made in horsehide with a sponge sole and a toppy and those are typically my plane shoes.

I usually pack another pair in my suitcase or carry on.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to wear nice shoes always, but I do worry about all the sharp edges in planes. However, with care, I have worn shell and calf through the whole process without any major issues.

I usually reach for something in either suede or horsehide when I'm traveling. Single Leather + Toppy or a thin rubber sole can get you through most weather, but depending on the destination and activities, a dainite-type sole also works well. When you travel the last thing you want are heavy shoes weighing you down so with that in mind I had a MTM pair of loafers made in horsehide with a sponge sole and a toppy and those are typically my plane shoes.

I usually pack another pair in my suitcase or carry on.

The reason I use shell is partially because of worries about scratches. Shell, being as impervious as it mostly is, can always be fixed with a buffing.

As @gimpwiz pointed out, the real concern shouldn't be the TSA stuff. As noted, the best way is to just get TSA precheck, which pays for itself if you travel a few times a year by plane (as I do). Nevertheless, even if you don't do that, just carry a plastic shoe horn in your carry on, or use your credit card to get back into your shoes. The laces don't take that long to lace. People act as if it is such a pain in the neck to lace shoes, when it...isn't.

Incidentally, I also recommend shoes with minimal metal content in them. Heavy steel shanked shoes, for instance, do make the alarms go off, so something like Allen Edmonds shankless design is preferable in many instances, though my Crockett and Jones shoes don't go off, and I had thought they had a shank, but maybe it's wood. Not sure!

Note: They do. So Crockett and Jones is safe for airport security. I know I once wore a pair of cheap boots that had a metal shank and that made the alarm guys mad.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
The reason I use shell is partially because of worries about scratches. Shell, being as impervious as it mostly is, can always be fixed with a buffing.

As @gimpwiz pointed out, the real concern shouldn't be the TSA stuff. As noted, the best way is to just get TSA precheck, which pays for itself if you travel a few times a year by plane (as I do). Nevertheless, even if you don't do that, just carry a plastic shoe horn in your carry on, or use your credit card to get back into your shoes. The laces don't take that long to lace. People act as if it is such a pain in the neck to lace shoes, when it...isn't.

Incidentally, I also recommend shoes with minimal metal content in them. Heavy steel shanked shoes, for instance, do make the alarms go off, so something like Allen Edmonds shankless design is preferable in many instances, though my Crockett and Jones shoes don't go off, and I had thought they had a shank, but maybe it's wood. Not sure!

Note: They do. So Crockett and Jones is safe for airport security. I know I once wore a pair of cheap boots that had a metal shank and that made the alarm guys mad.

I worry about shell cordovan because even though they are tougher, in my experience a bit of rain will spot them. And sometimes in travel you can’t control that exposure.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends how short of a trip you’re talking about but my packing/dress is dictated by my meetings not by the flight or airport.

If I’m in and out the same day I just wear whatever works best with my outfit like I would any other day.

For anything that’s one night I’ll grab my tri fold garment bag and usually a pair of black tassel loafers because they work with anything from jeans to a suit.

Anything longer than that and I’ll grab my rolling bag and toss a spare pair of shoes in.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really depends how short of a trip you’re talking about but my packing/dress is dictated by my meetings not by the flight or airport.

If I’m in and out the same day I just wear whatever works best with my outfit like I would any other day.

For anything that’s one night I’ll grab my tri fold garment bag and usually a pair of black tassel loafers because they work with anything from jeans to a suit.

Anything longer than that and I’ll grab my rolling bag and toss a spare pair of shoes in.

^
+1

I have a pair of Tod's tasseled brown suede loafers that I wear for casual work travel.

However, if meeting clients, I wear what goes with my outfit(s).

Blastwice

Reaction score

The shank conversation never made sense to me. Regular TSA makes you take your shoes off (or in some places just doesn't check shoes at all) and TSA Pre (as I remember last time I did it) never paid attention to anything apart from my ID. I've never had any kind of shank or shoe-related thing trip a detector, but I also don't wear Alden so this may be a specific brand issue.

Blastwice

Reaction score
I worry about shell cordovan because even though they are tougher, in my experience a bit of rain will spot them. And sometimes in travel you can’t control that exposure.
I don't consider rain an issue for shell. Spotting turns into patina when you get enough of it.

Can't buff out a gouge from an aluminum hook or screw though.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shank conversation never made sense to me. Regular TSA makes you take your shoes off (or in some places just doesn't check shoes at all) and TSA Pre (as I remember last time I did it) never paid attention to anything apart from my ID. I've never had any kind of shank or shoe-related thing trip a detector, but I also don't wear Alden so this may be a specific brand issue.

With TSA pre you still go through metal, so if you have a quite heavy steel shank in your shoes, chances are it will trip them off as they are so psycho about the shoe nonsense, which is so absurd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads