• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top shelf on a student budget

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is version 1.3.2, probably going to be the base for my bar: **with approximate prices for 750 mL from the Ohio DOLC price list
laugh.gif
** Bar stock: Vodka: Smirnoff Red + Chopin ($15 + $40) American Whisky: Jack Daniels + Sazerac 6 ($22 + $27) Irish Whiskey: Jameson Blend ($21) Scotch: JW Black+ Cragganmore 12 ($37 + $52) Gin: Beefeater + Hendrick's/Plymouth ($15 + $32/$26) Tequila: Hornito's Plata + Gran Centenario Anejo ($22 + $54) Rum: Appleton Estate V/X + Gosling's Black Seal ($16 + $16) Brandy: Christian Brothers ($12) My "personal" stuff: Ron Zacapa 23 ($45) Redbreast 12 ($50) Laphroaig 10 Cask ($63) (Chartreuse Green) ($60) Other: Cointreau ($35) Vya Sweet Vermouth + Noilly Prat French Extra Dry ($20 + $10) Juice/Soda/Water/Club Soda/Tonic [insert beer here] [insert wine here] Did I make any egregious errors in this revision (or in my addition)? I might add another bottle of vodka, and thinking also about subtracting a bottle of tequila, considering most people dislike tequila and the vodka will run out quickly. Anything that groupthink considers better for a spot? I'm all ears. Thanks!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
This thread is already beating out earlier iterations on this topic of good quality/ decent price.

What is a decent gin that fit the thread's spirit (pun not orig intended) to make a martini, Beefeater?.. Elsewhere?

If its available in your city or state Dry Fly Gin is quite good. Its from my hometown, but taxes in WA suck ass so its like $36 a bottle there. Across the border in ID its only $28. Its small batch distilled so finding it may be tough, but according to their website its available in several states.

Dry Fly Review
Places where you can buy it

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
If you are looking for a mixing vodka, I would suggest looking at the Costco Kirkland brand Vodka.

Maybe a bottle of Cognac, angostura, and don't forget barware. That can quickly set you back 100 dollars.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
This is version 1.3, probably going to be the base for my bar: **with approximate prices for 750 mL from the Ohio DOLC price list
laugh.gif
** Bar stock: American Whisky: Jack Daniels + (ri)1 ($22 + $50) Scotch: JW Black+ Cragganmore 12/Aberfeldy 12/Balvenie 12 Doublewood ($37 + $50) Brandy: Christian Brothers + ?? ($12) Do I need another brandy, or can I substitute it with something else lacking here? My "personal" stuff: Ron Zacapa 23 ($45) Black Bush ($35) Lagavulin (16 yr $86) /Laphroaig (10 yr $39, 18 yr $70) (Chartreuse Green) ($60) Other: Cointreau ($35) Vya Sweet Vermouth + Noilly Prat French Extra Dry ($20 + $10) not sure of prices for vermouth Did I make any egregious errors in this revision (or in my addition)? I might add another bottle of vodka, and thinking also about subtracting a bottle of tequila, considering most people dislike tequila and the vodka will run out quickly. Anything that groupthink considers better for a spot? I'm all ears. Thanks!

You're in Ohio? Sorry to hear (merely from a liquor-procurement standpoint). Not Cleveland by any chance? As for egregious errors: There really is one. I don't know of anyone, anywhere, who really thinks Ri(1) is even a decent rye at any pricepoint. I would highly suggest Sazerac 6 if you want a rye -- it's like $24. I note as an aside that you really don't have a bourbon, and while I am a huge fan of rye, you might get more mileage from a bottle of Woodford than a rye. I agree with the extra vodka, you are in college afterall. Goose, for that reason alone. I can't speak to the tequila. Crag is the cheapest of the three whiskys on your list, but only in price. Doublewood is a very different, but good style. As for Brandy -- only if you expect to need another. I suggested the Ferrand Ambre because it is a cognac, at a good pricepoint, and better quality than your average Hennesey/Remy/Courvoisier VSOP, though the name appeal of those might be a plus for you. Courvoisier Exclusif is actually pretty tasty. Good call on the Noilly Pratt dry -- and yes your prices seem correct. ~ H

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks for all the advice Huntsman! The only reason I had to take Ferrand Ambre off is that I couldn't find it on the DOLC price list, so I assumed it isn't sold in the state.
frown.gif
I'll definitely look into Sazerac & Woodford instead of (ri)1. From the looks of it, I could get a fifth of Sazerac 6 & Woodford Reserve for the price of that bottle of (ri)1. As for brandy, I'm probably going to leave that spot vacant for now, and instead buy a bottle of vodka... That'll probably leave me some more cash for bitters, barware, glassware, etc.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
As for egregious errors: There really is one. I don't know of anyone, anywhere, who really thinks Ri(1) is even a decent rye at any pricepoint. I would highly suggest Sazerac 6 if you want a rye -- it's like $24. I note as an aside that you really don't have a bourbon, and while I am a huge fan of rye, you might get more mileage from a bottle of Woodford than a rye.

ri(1) is a horrible, awful drink. I was unfortunate enough to try it both before its release and after. It was actually much worse in regular production, but that is not saying anything. Sazerac 6 is a great suggestion. You could also look into Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond rye which is great for the price. There are some great ryes that are more upmarket, but you could prob. skip them for now.

This is version 1.3, probably going to be the base for my bar:
**with approximate prices for 750 mL from the Ohio DOLC price list
laugh.gif

Did I make any egregious errors in this revision (or in my addition)? I might add another bottle of vodka, and thinking also about subtracting a bottle of tequila, considering most people dislike tequila and the vodka will run out quickly. Anything that groupthink considers better for a spot? I'm all ears. Thanks!

I have a few suggestions:
Scotch - Skip the Aberfeldy 12, it isn't very good. Of the ones on your list I would get Cragganmore.
Irish - I don't think you need two Irish in the public bar. I would move the Redbreast down to your personal bar and drop the Black Bush. Redbreast is much, much better.
Scotch 2 - Def. skip the 18 yo Laphroaig. It is very good, but not at that price. If you can get the 10 yo Cask Strength I would go with that. The Lagavulin on that list is way over priced too.
Tequila - Do you really need three tequilas? Furthermore, isn't Pyrat a rum?
Overarching - Can you shop online? Those prices kind of suck and your money would go a lot further online. You can PM me and I can help direct you at places to shop if you would like.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
ri(1) is a horrible, awful drink. I was unfortunate enough to try it both before its release and after. It was actually much worse in regular production, but that is not saying anything. Sazerac 6 is a great suggestion. You could also look into Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond rye which is great for the price. There are some great ryes that are more upmarket, but you could prob. skip them for now.

I have a few suggestions:
Scotch - Skip the Aberfeldy 12, it isn't very good. Of the ones on your list I would get Cragganmore.
Irish - I don't think you need two Irish in the public bar. I would move the Redbreast down to your personal bar and drop the Black Bush. Redbreast is much, much better.
Scotch 2 - Def. skip the 18 yo Laphroaig. It is very good, but not at that price. If you can get the 10 yo Cask Strength I would go with that. The Lagavulin on that list is way over priced too.
Tequila - Do you really need three tequilas? Furthermore, isn't Pyrat a rum?
Overarching - Can you shop online? Those prices kind of suck and your money would go a lot further online. You can PM me and I can help direct you at places to shop if you would like.

Updated a bit based on your & Huntsman's recommendations. Pyrat was definitely a rum
facepalm.gif
on that one. And if I was of legal age to buy my own liquor, online would definitely have been my first choice
laugh.gif
Maybe in 18 (almost 17) months, when I turn 21
confused.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Updated a bit based on your & Huntsman's recommendations. Pyrat was definitely a rum
facepalm.gif
on that one. And if I was of legal age to buy my own liquor, online would definitely have been my first choice
laugh.gif
Maybe in 18 (almost 17) months, when I turn 21
confused.gif

Ah, I see...well in 18 mos you'll be able to get more interesting stuff for less money. Until then, this will be just fine.

One minor thing. I was not advocating the regular Laphroaig 10 over Lagavulin. I was referring to the 10 yo cask strength version. If you can find that at ~$50 I think its a better buy than Laga at $86. The regular Laphroaig 10 is not even close to Laga though in terms of complexity, richness or taste. You might want to looking into Ardbeg too. Ugidail, Nam Beist and the regular 10 should be cheaper than Laga and offer more bang for your buck.

zhouyu

Reaction score
Pyrate is a rum not a tequila...
yeah, you should get more vodka...imo, ketel one > grey goose...

hendricks isn't really ur typical gin... some of my friends not too fond of the cucumber infusion...

pierre ferrand ambre is good but go up a notch and splurge on the the reserve... 20$ more for extra 10 yrs

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
For a martini? That's easy to find? Hendrick's or Martin Miller, in my book. But if I'm having a martini, I drink Junipero.

If we're talking gins for martinis --

what are folks' thoughts on Juniper Green and South? I'm a fan of both, and consider those plus Plymouth to be pretty ideal for my martini needs.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is version 1.3.2, probably going to be the base for my bar: **with approximate prices for 750 mL from the Ohio DOLC price list
laugh.gif
** Bar stock: Vodka: Smirnoff Red + Chopin ($15 + $40) American Whisky: Jack Daniels + Sazerac 6 ($22 + $27) Irish Whiskey: Jameson Blend ($21) Scotch: JW Black+ Cragganmore 12 ($37 + $52) Gin: Beefeater + Hendrick's/Plymouth ($15 + $32/$26) Tequila: Hornito's Plata + Gran Centenario Anejo ($22 + $54) Rum: Appleton Estate V/X + Gosling's Black Seal ($16 + $16) Brandy: Christian Brothers ($12) My "personal" stuff: Ron Zacapa 23 ($45) Redbreast 12 ($50) Laphroaig 10 Cask ($63) (Chartreuse Green) ($60) Other: Cointreau ($35) Vya Sweet Vermouth + Noilly Prat French Extra Dry ($20 + $10) Juice/Soda/Water/Club Soda/Tonic [insert beer here] [insert wine here] Did I make any egregious errors in this revision (or in my addition)? I might add another bottle of vodka, and thinking also about subtracting a bottle of tequila, considering most people dislike tequila and the vodka will run out quickly. Anything that groupthink considers better for a spot? I'm all ears. Thanks!

Holy ****- that's an uber collection. I'd keep the Gran Centenario under personal collection if I were you, and only if you're a tequila drinker. It's hard to justify it as a student if you like scotch or whiskey better. You'll also probably want something cheap like a handle Svedka for parties.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a general tip, keep an eye out at TJs and Costco. Their house brand liquors are just over-runs from other producers, and every so often, they are actually good producers. Sometimes they are not good though, it changes every so often.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's up with college kids these days? I hate to make a "When I was your age . . ." type post, but when I was in college, we drank the Beast and liked it. I don't think you need anything more than beer for the dudes and vodka for the ladies.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had my first real drink (as in several, and I don't remember) around the time Krish was just entering kindergarten... and I'm 28 now.
ffffuuuu.gif

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
What's up with college kids these days? I hate to make a "When I was your age . . ." type post, but when I was in college, we drank the Beast and liked it. I don't think you need anything more than beer for the dudes and vodka for the ladies.
Haha this is mostly for me & any ladyfriends I might bring home. If I'm partying at my apartment, there'll be cases & cheap liquor. And of course, my fraternity's parties will always have Svedka & Keystone. I just need something *better* for when I get sick of the cheap, crappy stuff (which is often).
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I had my first real drink (as in several, and I don't remember) around the time Krish was just entering kindergarten... and I'm 28 now.
ffffuuuu.gif

laugh.gif
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Holy ****- that's an uber collection. I'd keep the Gran Centenario under personal collection if I were you, and only if you're a tequila drinker. It's hard to justify it as a student if you like scotch or whiskey better. You'll also probably want something cheap like a handle Svedka for parties.
Thanks, I'm trying to make a comprehensive starter bar for myself, so essentially I won't be limited at any point by what I have. I'm sure the Gran Centenario won't see much play during the year, as it would essentially only be me drinking it. And don't worry; none of these is going to be present during any parties... I think our staples this past year for parties was Coors/Miller Light, Skyy, and Smirnoff Ice.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads