• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 5 Crappiest Jobs As a Kid

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I've been a wise-guy since 13
sly.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Yard work as a kid sucked! My dad was a yard nazi, even the lines had to be equal spaced, like it was a baseball field!

2. Pulling the weeds growing out of the cracks of the sidewalk in front of my dad's office... with my hands and a screw driver only. I looked like a marsupial out there.

3. Cleaning/renovating my dad's rental properties. Ugh.

4. Troubleshooter for AAA in the SUMMER! If you ever get stuck in Cape Cod, no one will help you for 6 hours, so stop bitching.

5. Statistics.

turboman808

Reaction score
I had one job in college that was pretty bad. Did security at a fetish club in Manhattan. My job was to keep people from having full on intercourse inside the club. I was the penetration police.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I had one job in college that was pretty bad. Did security at a fetish club in Manhattan. My job was to keep people from having full on intercourse inside the club. I was the penetration police.
What were your best and worse fights like?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. scrapping cow **** out of stalls / cleaning silos
2. paving driveways
3. paper boy ( 5th grade waking up sunday mornings sucked)
4. jerry's subs and pizzas griller ( made the hot food)
5. yard work

odoreater - ice cream truck driver would be awesome!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Hot tar roofing
2. Asphalt Paving
3. Installing water intake pipe for water treatment plant (involved putting on wetsuit in river and crawling through 5 foot pipe under the river).

You learn doing crap jobs that it is often the people more than the task.

singhstyle

Reaction score
I feel bad for you boys, but then again thank you to the service you provided the nation. someone had to do it. still sucks though. not trying to rub it in or anything.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singhstyle
I feel bad for you boys, but then again thank you to the service you provided the nation. someone had to do it. still sucks though. not trying to rub it in or anything.

What's to rub in? We all seem to have found it vital life experiences. I feel sort of sad for people that never learn what it is like to do a menial job.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 Installing insulation and removing asbestos in commercial buildings in Arizona, in the summer. Outside temperatures around 115 degreees, temps in the under-roof spaces I worked in were significantly hotter.
No breathing protection or other protection, using unsafe scaffolding that tipped out from under me once, leaving me hanging from an I beam. (We were told to "take the rest of the day off" when our super was tipped off that OSHA was on its way to the job sites.) I'm pretty confident I will have Mesothelioma by the time I'm in my 50's. (Steve McQueen went out that way.)

#2 Cleaning up trash, facilities, and bathrooms in a state park. I was able to deal with it until a large group of gypsies moved in to the park campgrounds. They were the filthiest people imaginable, and after a while, I could no longer stand cleaning up after their messes.

#3 Working in a book store. Not such a bad job, really, except that I thought I was going to get to interact with customers recommend books and the like. The reality of my job is that I stood behind the cash register 5 hours a day, never moving 2 feet from that spot, ringing up sales.

I had lots of other menial jobs, but they all had some redeeming quality that kept them from being miserable.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808

i other words, you were the cock block. i hope you did a good job at it at least, and got awarded with one of these:

cockblock.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Shrimp factory, deveining. 'nough said. The stench wouldn't wash off for days.
2. Italian restaurant, washing dishes, in the North End in Boston. I think I saw a guy whipped out his piece once, to make a point or something.
3. Frozen food stocker at a supermarket north of Boston. It sucked, especially in the winter.
4. Shoveling snow in an apartment complex for 8 hrs/day until all the snow was cleared. Sometimes had to go in at 4-5am, during a snow storm. Tough job, but I enjoyed it as we worked there with my wrestling teammates.
5. Bagel shop during college. It wasn't so bad, except for the days when I had to go in and help the baker at 3:30am.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
1. Shrimp factory, deveining. 'nough said. The stench wouldn't wash off for days.

Okay, probably even worse than mucking stalls.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay, probably even worse than mucking stalls.
I lasted for about two weeks for that one. At the end, even the relatively high wage of $8/hr for a teenager wasn't enough to keep me around. I think I burned the clothes that I wore to work there.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually, nothing too sucky compared to this list

when I wa about 10 worked in a family bakery, folding boxes after school. my older brother had it bad, he would be the one who cut up the fruit for pies.

I had a good job in a flea market from about 10 to 13, selling cutting boards and welcome matts, mostly

for a year or so worked cleaning apartments that had been skiped out on. the way the landlord understood it, he had to store the stuff, but he didn't have to treat it gently. so I was supposed to put everything in these filthy cheap dives into plastic trash bags, no matter how big they started out - including the furnature.

from 14 to 18 I worked in a resteraunt 4 shifts a week. basically grill cook and cleaning stuff. I was given 2 meals a shift, so that was 8 meat meals a week, that and my salary kept me alive through school. in the summers I worked construction, mostly sifting sand and mixing (by hand) concrete, and laying cinder blocks. the older men who had real skills made the better money

at 18 worked nights in a bakery for 6 months.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I assume by 'kid' we mean pre college?

- I worked for an independent health food store. I stocked and faced shelves and the coolers. This was tolerable, but I had to sack up gluten flour, textured vegetable protein, gravy mix, etc. I had to weigh them all bag them and package them. These huge 50# sacks of it, I was 13 and no more than 125 lbs dripping wet. I dropped so many sacks of gluten, etc. I also had to ride the bus, which in a town like OKC where most people have cars exposes you at a young age to the gems of society.

- summer camp kitchen staff. the kitchen work was semi-tolerable... but I was not supposed to have any caffeine/meat on campus and no junk food. Secular Music was frowned upon... etc. Super conservative summer camp with not that conservative of staff.

mckee foods box factory- mckee foods (makers of little debbie snacks) used to recycle all the cardboard that their products were shipped to and from stores in. It was my job to sort the boxes by box style, quality. So basically you just sorted through bundles of dusty cardboard. At the end of the day you had to take COLD showers to get all the fiberglass out of your arms/hands. I got lippy with a boss one day and i **** you not was assigned BS 'work'. I moved bundles from one trailer and as soon as I'd finished i was told to move them back. It was a horrible place to work... it helped a lot of kids through school and was piece work so it paid well... but it sucked.

landscaping- i worked with total douchefaces. 90% showed up drunk/high if they showed up at all. my first day a guy pulled a knife on a co-worker. I worked as a driver, and one day my foreman was drunk riding *****, and another guy was riding shotgun. Anyhow we're turning into a resi- neighborhood and my foreman reaches over to take the wheel. I nearly was involved with an accident because of his stupid 'mistake'. racist co-workers.

abercrombie and fitch- retail sales... no commissions,no incentive to sell, but expectations to sell. no chance at advancement at all. you basically get hired to work in the back "impact team'" which means you aren't really good looking/charismatic enough for the sales floor and can WORK or are out on the sales floor pushing cologne or something.

book selling- selling cookbooks and 'the bible story' or 'uncle arthurs bedtime stories' door to door. 90% of people confuse you for jehovahs witnesses or come to the door with a gun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads