• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

raags

Reaction score
It's starting to get cold in Melbourne and I just need another piece of outerwear so that's why I'm antsy!

hennree

Reaction score

If all y'all are worried and mulling over how many weeks you've been waiting for a jacket then idk how exciting or busy your life is

Of course people are eager to receive their products. Clothing is what people come here to discuss. It's not a reflection of how busy or exciting someone's life is.

NotClever

Reaction score
am I overthinking how hard it is to do yourself? though at the same time I've never taken a body measurement myself before...

how many of you guys got awesome-fitting jackets despite being first-time measurers and having taken them yourself?

Pretty much, yeah. The thing is that as Drew has said many times most people don't actually need MTM, which is to say that even if your measurements are slightly off it will be just fine.

I had my wife help me and double checked the measurements because I was paranoid, but even if I had done it solely by myself I'm pretty sure I'd be fine. The only thing I was even slightly worried about was the length, which is the only part of the jacket that is basically subjective and up to your preference.

I had gotten a couple of MTM shirts from a couple of different online shops prior to that, and my conclusion based on that experience is that a good bit of it has to do with how the maker interprets your measurements. I gave the same measurements to both companies and got a reasonably different fit. By comparison, I'd say that TOJ's does a pretty impeccable job with turning what you give them into something you'll like. I only recall one person in this thread having serious issues with their fit, and IIRC it was basically because they just wanted a fit that TOJ doesn't do.

TL;DR: honestly, in all seriousness and without a bit of fanboyism, just take reasonable measurements and trust charly will translate it into a proper fit.

Last edited:

PawnchYoFace

Reaction score
i think people are justified being worried since its a almost 900 dollar jacket
but at the same time, from toj's perspective they are good and fairly "cheap" compared to other high end leather makers
you know what they say... good, cheap, fast, pick two.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If all y'all are worried and mulling over how many weeks you've been waiting for a jacket then idk how exciting or busy your life is
That's just not true man. We're excited and antsy. We didn't realize it would take quite this long. Plus, I'm like Cole, there's all these things I've wanted to be able to wear it to and they just keep flying by. Now, I didn't have any sweet raves to host or anything, but I would have loved to have it for SXSW this weekend through next.

guayabera

Reaction score

how many of you guys got awesome-fitting jackets despite being first-time measurers and having taken them yourself?

0. Pay for jacket.
1. Measure yourself as best you can. Measure a nice-fitting shirt or jacket, too, if you have one.
2. Mail these numbers to Charly, who will reply with a set of jacket measurements.
3. Take a cheap non-stretchy jacket (e.g. $20 Gap nylon jacket at a thrift store) and pin it to the measurements in #2. Wear it around the house for a day.
4. Re-pin jacket to adjust any parts that were too tight or too loose. Wear it around the house for a day.
5. Repeat #4 until there's nothing you'd like to change.
6. Measure your pinned jacket and mail these numbers to Charly.
7. Wait a few months.
8. Great-fitting jacket arrives. No alarms, no surprises.

Measure twice, cut once!

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work when you can just post here asking for sizing advice.

pl0nky

Reaction score
Ughh no matter how much I think I want a DR, specifically the QDR that i ordered, I keep having second thoughts about it!! I think I just rushed to order because I thought orders were stopping soon. I decide okay no more thinking about it and I can't help it. I just keep thinking maybe it's not me and yada yada and maybe a toj0 would "fit" me/my everyday style more. I'm annoying myself with this lol

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ughh no matter how much I think I want a DR, specifically the QDR that i ordered, I keep having second thoughts about it!! I think I just rushed to order because I thought orders were stopping soon. I decide okay no more thinking about it and I can't help it. I just keep thinking maybe it's not me and yada yada and maybe a toj0 would "fit" me/my everyday style more. I'm annoying myself with this lol

The consensus decided years ago that full leathers were vastly superior.

pl0nky

Reaction score
Haha that made me laugh. The council of elders in the temple of jawnz has decided that full leathers are vastly superior for all intents and purposes.

PDinh

Reaction score
Deciding on another jacket but uh not sure which model to go with yet. Olive calf in 2013 DR or 4-zip MDR?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads