• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

time to bury bicycle toe shoes

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Lots of people who ride in the city. I use clipless (the kind with cleats) but toe clips are still safer if you're in heavy traffic, IMO.

I disagree. When one has to bail immediately, it's not a natural reaction to pull your foot backwards. Also, after you pull your foot out backwards, you must bring it back to the side of the bike. Instead, with clipless pedals you twist your foot to the side and your foot is in a natural position to support you. Maybe toe clips just take years of getting use to in order to get out of safely - but I'd never use them.

I've used clipless for a few years now. They still scare the **** out of me, and I usually set them to a very weak setting so I can clip out easily.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, i'm wearing my chestnut AE Hillcrest today...

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I disagree. When one has to bail immediately, it's not a natural reaction to pull your foot backwards. Also, after you pull your foot out backwards, you must bring it back to the side of the bike. Instead, with clipless pedals you twist your foot to the side and your foot is in a natural position to support you. Maybe toe clips just take years of getting use to in order to get out of safely - but I'd never use them.

I've used clipless for a few years now. They still scare the **** out of me, and I usually set them to a very weak setting so I can clip out easily.

I guess I feel that way about clips due to the accidents where you're hit unexpectedly -- from behind or a car cuts you off from the side -- where you don't have time to react. I'd rather the bike disconnect by itself and not stay attached to my ankles... having said that, I do ride clipless in the city. If I were a bike messenger though, I'd have a single speed with clips.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
What's worse was those bicycle-slash-bowling shoes mutant abominations they were selling years ago.

Years ago! I still see those with alarming regularity at the local Starbucks. Its funny, bicycle-slash-bowling shoes are to Gen X what bicycle toe are to Gen Y.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
These are probably the best I've seen, but they still aren't for me:

showimage2aspxga8.jpg

Not for me either, but I wouldn't look down on someone wearing them... The punch holes are generally much more acceptable than the seams (IMO).

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a releive to see that this is not one of those Germans-only phenomenons. There seems to be no other style around - I don't get it.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These ones look okay - but again, they're not "true" bicycle toes, more wholecuts with broguing...

74914862lf7.jpg

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the point is to find exception but to explain hwy this rather odd style is so popular

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
I don't think the point is to find exception but to explain hwy this rather odd style is so popular

Based on nothing, my guesses are:

1.) The market is cyclic, no pun intended - once everybody has a pair of nice-looking shoes, the manufacturers have to push bicycle toes. Once everybody has bicycle toes, they'll move on to something else;
2.) Marketed towards younger people who think cap-toe shoes are old-fogey but have no idea what looks good;
3.) Marketed towards older folk who already have cap-toe shoes and want to be hip;
4.) They're "versatile", insofar as they don't look particularly good with dressy OR casual clothes, and therefore can perform double duty;
5.) They're probably somehow cheaper to manufacture;
6.) The one-piece vamp-and-toe probably creases up really quickly, the shoes are thrown out and replaced with another pair of bicycle toes - because people these days have no idea how long shoes are supposed to last and don't know they're being ripped off - and the market flourishes...

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
A chisel toe shoe is not a bicycle toe shoe. A bicycle toe shoe has the seams run straight down to the front of the sole. Some are chiseled, some are not. I can't actually tell from the photo of that suave guy above if it is a bicycle toe shoe. Here is a bicycle toe shoe

so what's an "apron toe" ?

iamaloser

Reaction score
I really like the bicycle toes on the last page, but they are much more understated than the super ubiquitous type that you see at Nordstroms. On the whole the perforated leather type of thing in place of seams always creeps me out. I don't know why.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I think that some of them look quite nice. I wouldn't wear them with a suit, though, but yes, I would not mind wearing some of them with an odd jacket, sans tie, for example.
(Now, true, I am the kind of guy who doesn't mind wearing derbies with his suits, so you definitely shouldn't trust my sense of style and class).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads