• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this car coat?

jalh97

Reaction score
fed89a8a200c4f8c9c21694df6a2091f

a1c53917faa24453b44c9f9d14426e4e

I like it, but don't usually wear slim clothing, even less when it comes to coats. Anyway, this one caught my eye, but have doubts re: versatility. My gf says it looks 'too elegant', which it may indeed be, but the colour helps find an equilibrium with a more casual style. What would you wear it with? Being slim fit, I'm guessing there's little room for layering, and maybe the colour isn't that versatile either? I want to read your thoughts, please.

paxonus

Reaction score
This coat strikes me as having a contradiction between function and color. This type of coat is for warmth, primarily for fall and winter wear. But the color says spring and summer. It isn't something I would wear.

KOz

Reaction score
Way too slim and can't be layered. Colour is not versatile whatsoever. As paxonus indicated, form and function contradict. Definite pass.

Can't tell if I agree with "too elegant" since you haven't indicated your style. Also a piece of clothing doesn't reach equilibrium by having contradicting formality/casualness - it's just disjointed.

jalh97

Reaction score
This coat strikes me as having a contradiction between function and color. This type of coat is for warmth, primarily for fall and winter wear. But the color says spring and summer. It isn't something I would wear.

Way too slim and can't be layered. Colour is not versatile whatsoever. As paxonus indicated, form and function contradict. Definite pass.

Can't tell if I agree with "too elegant" since you haven't indicated your style. Also a piece of clothing doesn't reach equilibrium by having contradicting formality/casualness - it's just disjointed.
Thank you guys for the input, the contradiction is definitely there.

Re: its allegedly elegant quality, yeah I guess that may have to do with the clothing culture in which we're immersed, related to small rural towns in a third world country. Anyway, I don't have the personality to pull it off, or at least I don't think. Certainly not without trying it or seeing it worn. Pass, then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads