• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course , the age is just part of a complex equation...
It is an arbitrary legal decision based on historical background...
There is an important part of societal and behavioural stimuli in that particular issue...
Most countries have a 18 year old limit without encountering too many problems...
Young adults will always find alcohol to buy and to drink anyway...
Apparently in the UK in the early 80s 16 year olds were allowed to drink in pubs as long as they stayed quietly in the corner, bartenders would know they were under age, the police would come in for spot checks and know they were under age, but as long as they didn't bother anyone else it was brushed under the carpet. Now under age drinking is forced underground with no responsible adults to keep an eye on them, they never learn to drink responsibly.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apparently in the UK in the early 80s 16 year olds were allowed to drink in pubs as long as they stayed quietly in the corner, bartenders would know they were under age, the police would come in for spot checks and know they were under age, but as long as they didn't bother anyone else it was brushed under the carpet. Now under age drinking is forced underground with no responsible adults to keep an eye on them, they never learn to drink responsibly.

I was playing pool and drinking in cafe at the age of 16/17...

Different times..

Bruinsfan

Reaction score

The minimum here is 16+.

I can clearly remember my dad taking me out for a beer on my Sixteenth birthday. Sure, I wish it was at a local pub with a pool table of darts, instead of on the local supermarket's parking lot, but hey... I never complained once.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The minimum here is 16+.
I can clearly remember my dad taking me out for a beer on my Sixteenth birthday. Sure, I wish it was at a local pub with a pool table of darts, instead of on the local supermarket's parking lot, but hey... I never complained once.

Where are you?

Boston?

I do find crazy that under 21 rule..

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And in Boston?
21?

There's a de facto rather than a de jure 21+ mandate. New Orleans, LA is the only city I know of that said "We're keeping our drinking age 18+". As a result, the federal government ***** slapped them and took away federal money intended for roads and infrastructure. So in technical terms, it's not required to be 21+, but in practice it almost always is because it's untenable for cities/states to reject that much money.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We like to drink and drive.

Also we get to drive at 16 and in the parts of the country where everything is far apart, we don't have public transit or available taxi service so you basically have to drive places (remember we are also fat so bikes don't work).

A lot of european countries have kids drinking a lot sooner (whether explicitly legal or just a tacit permission) than they are able to get a drivers license. And in those countries it is much harder to get the license and much easier to lose it than in america where it has basically been interpreted as a god-given right.

dune

Reaction score

I dont' know if you've been here, but Americans are stupid.

I've been to America a couple of times - teenagers are stupid everywhere. That's probably in the definition of teenagers or something. "Will do incredibly stupid stuff because they have no sense of preservation or long-term planning."

But there's a difference between doing stupid stuff in an environment where people can help if things go wrong or throwing a party with all teenagers and no adults around (except for possible creeps)

E TF

Reaction score

It is still legal in the UK for 16/17 year olds to drink beer, wine or cider in a pub or restaurant as long as a) it accompanies a meal ii) they're accompanied by an adult and 3) it is bought for them by an adult.

I was successfully buying beer in pubs aged 16/17. There were always some pubs which were somehow known to be lax on asking for ID, and even in the others if you went in just a couple of you, acted politely, dressed nicely, sat in the corner quietly, ordered real ale rather than alcopops, most places would serve you. That was the mid 90s.

There's a photo of me aged maybe 2 or 3 sitting on a beach drinking from a can of strong lager, presumably taken by one of my parents, who presumably also gave me the can. Things were different then.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chunky girl on my fb just posted a pic of her underwear:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads