• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my legs are ridiculously sore, like i played 4 hours of football or something, but i didnt. kinda nervous about it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hard to tell without knowing the details but...it takes a long time for a Japanese company to establish trust with a business partner and they are likely to give up possible profits if they aren't sure if your organizations "fit".

Sounds like you don't have any people already located in Japan so that is a negative. Any middle-man companies that can vouch for you? Are you a brand-name entity? All those things would help.

If you can't send someone over to Japan I would at least offer to set up a telecon or videocon to go over any questions or concerns they may have based on the info you sent. And expect that they will ask the exact same questions again. And it is always best to be over-prepared and to offer way more data and supporting evidence than they ask for. Have a Japanese speaker on hand as a translator, if necessary. But, really, if the business is worth it, I would get some of your people on a plane.

Feel free to pm if you think it might help...I do consulting and training for Japanese companies so I am familiar with the typical issues.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Baby is still waking up at ungodly hours, at least she goes back to sleep after a while, most of the time. Wife's about to leave town for a long weekend, which will mean...well, not sure what that will mean, other than I'll have non-stop kid duty. At least I'll get to do some cooking.

So, the running has been going okay except that I can't really crank out the longer mileage yet, but my diet has been awful. Just crap. Today, doughnuts. ******* doughnuts. I should be cutting down, not piling on the fat.

And now, Kristen Stewart had an affair and ruined the good thing she had going with Robert Pattinson. WTF were you thinking Kristen? FWIW, who on earth would bang - let alone mate - with either of them. They both have the pallor of Pete Doherty but fortunately none of the drool, snot, or festering open sores. *sigh*. And I even spent a minute of my life - which I won't get back, BTW - reading about her. them. Whatever.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hard to tell without knowing the details but...it takes a long time for a Japanese company to establish trust with a business partner and they are likely to give up possible profits if they aren't sure if your organizations "fit".
Sounds like you don't have any people already located in Japan so that is a negative. Any middle-man companies that can vouch for you? Are you a brand-name entity? All those things would help.
If you can't send someone over to Japan I would at least offer to set up a telecon or videocon to go over any questions or concerns they may have based on the info you sent. And expect that they will ask the exact same questions again. And it is always best to be over-prepared and to offer way more data and supporting evidence than they ask for. Have a Japanese speaker on hand as a translator, if necessary. But, really, if the business is worth it, I would get some of your people on a plane.
Feel free to pm if you think it might help...I do consulting and training for Japanese companies so I am familiar with the typical issues.

I work with furniture design and I already had an agreement with the designer, who 2 months in decided to change manufacturer and the manufacturer now wants me to prove who I am and what I can for the second time (third in total).

To be honest I have no desire to go to Japan and pull 5-7 days out of my calendar, I have done it before (not Japan) to build a good relationship with a company and I ended up being 20k$ out of pocket, so unless he proves to me that he is serious and start keeping his word I'm out.

The designer has complained about the manufacturer has denied retailers in different countries do to no reason at all.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Baby is still waking up at ungodly hours, at least she goes back to sleep after a while, most of the time. Wife's about to leave town for a long weekend, which will mean...well, not sure what that will mean, other than I'll have non-stop kid duty. At least I'll get to do some cooking.

how old is the baby, and do you guys use any kind of consistent sleep training method? my wife has implemented them in the past with great success.

i dont know why, but apparently this is a touchy subject, no offense meant. just a thought.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work with furniture design and I already had an agreement with the designer, who 2 months in decided to change manufacturer and the manufacturer now wants me to prove who I am and what I can for the second time (third in total).
To be honest I have no desire to go to Japan and pull 5-7 days out of my calendar, I have done it before (not Japan) to build a good relationship with a company and I ended up being 20k$ out of pocket, so unless he proves to me that he is serious and start keeping his word I'm out.
The designer has complained about the manufacturer has denied retailers in different countries do to no reason at all.

Hmmmm...complicated. Don't blame you for not wanting to spend money on such a tenuous situation. I would say that you are unable to come to Japan due to other business commitments but would be happy to discuss by phone, skype, whatever if there are any concerns. Maybe say that if all is going well that you are planning to come over at the end of the year (or something like that). And if they have any people that can visit you that you would be happy to see them.
Part of the problem, it sounds like, is that the designer is not well established with the manufacturers. Do you, or the designer, have any relationship with one of the trading companies? They often seem like unnecessary middle-men but they are pros at dealing with this kind of issue. But, you would have to be doing some very serious amounts of business for them to get involved.

Also, the line about the manufacturer giving up business "for no reason at all" doesn't make sense. Japanese manufacturers are in a terrible situation these days with an overvalued yen and shrinking domestic demand. They are either going bankrupt or seeking ways to expand globally. To give up potential sales channels outside of Japan is unbelievable. I suspect that there is a reason and finding that will explain the hesitation they are having now. Perhaps the volume of business is too low for them to see short term profits and they want to ascertain the long-term potential of the relationship?

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my legs are ridiculously sore, like i played 4 hours of football or something, but i didnt. kinda nervous about it.

sore joints or sore muscles?

Baby is still waking up at ungodly hours, at least she goes back to sleep after a while, most of the time. Wife's about to leave town for a long weekend, which will mean...well, not sure what that will mean, other than I'll have non-stop kid duty.

Yeah... I'm really starting to think I should never have kids. Def would have put some whisky in the bottle by now.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmmmm...complicated. Don't blame you for not wanting to spend money on such a tenuous situation. I would say that you are unable to come to Japan due to other business commitments but would be happy to discuss by phone, skype, whatever if there are any concerns. Maybe say that if all is going well that you are planning to come over at the end of the year (or something like that). And if they have any people that can visit you that you would be happy to see them.
Part of the problem, it sounds like, is that the designer is not well established with the manufacturers. Do you, or the designer, have any relationship with one of the trading companies? They often seem like unnecessary middle-men but they are pros at dealing with this kind of issue. But, you would have to be doing some very serious amounts of business for them to get involved.

He's japanese so I expect that he knows them, but I don't so their quality is still a big question from my point of view.

I have sent them an email explaining I don't have time (which I don't) and for him to deepen his questions.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

how old is the baby, and do you guys use any kind of consistent sleep training method? my wife has implemented them in the past with great success.
i dont know why, but apparently this is a touchy subject, no offense meant. just a thought.

She'll be two in September. We switched her to a toddler bed which was disastrous. As for sleep training, one of us (mostly me) rocks her to sleep after her bath.

...aaaand now I have printer problems. The big barcode printer is going haywire. ****.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
never mind. Fixed the printer, no service call at $145/hour 2 hour minimum. YAY ME.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're doing it wrong.

+1

I had a japanese company that we were courting send me an email that said something very blase like -"our CEO has instructed us to proceed in our working with you" and I sent back an email very warmly thanking them. then, a few hours later my "coach" in the company called me saying "you know, the CEO really expected you to fly out and celebrate with us" so I got ****** on a plane.

reading down, I see your situation is very differnt form mine. **** him

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads