• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Them Vietnamese Sandwiches

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
http://www.anchoinyc.com/

Then there are places like An Choi that try to upscale the sandwich. Their results are uneven, though.

pretty silly

It's a working class person's food. Where I live Mexican laborers love to eat them Vietnamese sandwiches, them Vietnamese noodle soups, and them Vietnamese lunchboxes.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vietnamese sandwiches are funny to me because I grew up eating them before they became so hip. Then I stopped eating them because I moved away to college and this whitey down didn't have any (until very recently). Anyway, I had my roommate bring me back some and they had all these funky styles. What's funny is the version they call the "Special" is actually the standard sandwich (French roll, pate, homemade mayo, pickles, jalapeños, cilantro, headcheese, etc). The other versions they had were filled with stuff I've never seen in a sandwich like bbq pork. Yes, these were meats found in Vietnamese dishes, like the pork is usually in bun (rice noodles), but not meant to be in a sandwich. I wonder how many people know there is really just one banh mi?

Phrost

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I've actually never eaten a banh mi, even though I ate pho at least 3-5 times a week in college. :\\ They just didn't have any around where I lived, and there's none where I live here.
frown.gif

I have a feeling I'd enjoy one thoroughly, though, seems to be everything I like, and more.

It's a good sandwich with a lot of flavor. The freshness from the cucumber and cilantro with the sweet and tangy pickled carrots/daikon compliments and cuts some of the richness of the meat/fat in the sandwich.

Originally Posted by indesertum
ffffuuuu.gif

i love banh mi

hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had. there was this random banh mi joint near tufts medical school that was daaamn good. i eat a banh mi every other day i'm in nyc. -_- god. i love a good banh mi

Where do people in NYC get their banh mi from? My favorite is Banh Mi Saigon on Grand St. Cheap and delicious. I know their #1 pork banh mi isn't authentic or whatever, but I never really liked the traditional cold cuts/head cheese and pate. The crispy barbecued pork they use is
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had.

+100

I just got back from Vietnam and this was the biggest disappointment by far. Love those banh mis... will load up when back in Cali next week.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best versions I've had of this sandwich were in Laos and Cambodia... I've always thought putting some som tam in it would be one of the best combinations.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It tasted good so long as I did my best not to inhale. Basically it smelled real bad so I had to focus on drinking through the straw but not breathing at the same time. The flavor is sweet and musky much like a papaya.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's weird, I think durian smells amazing. Very fragrant and sweet. I did grow up in a Vietnamese household though, so we had a lot of weird smells. If you guys haven't tried it at your local restaurants, the broken rice is generally really good. Pork chops and fish sauce with some eggs. Cut it all up and mix it together and you get the most awesome just-the-right-amount-of-creaminess thing in the world.
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Vietnamese sandwiches are funny to me because I grew up eating them before they became so hip. Then I stopped eating them because I moved away to college and this whitey down didn't have any (until very recently). Anyway, I had my roommate bring me back some and they had all these funky styles. What's funny is the version they call the "Special" is actually the standard sandwich (French roll, pate, homemade mayo, pickles, jalapeños, cilantro, headcheese, etc). The other versions they had were filled with stuff I've never seen in a sandwich like bbq pork. Yes, these were meats found in Vietnamese dishes, like the pork is usually in bun (rice noodles), but not meant to be in a sandwich. I wonder how many people know there is really just one banh mi?
That's not true at all. BBQ pork is often used in banh mi, at least around here it has been. When I was younger, the BBQ pork banh mi was all that I would ever eat from a banh mi joint. I even got one in Saigon a couple years ago.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite at my local is boiled shrimp and eggs. It also seems like a Scandinavian combination, with the mayo, etc. Is this a standard banh mi or an unusual combination?

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Bahn mi are 2.95 here. Soooooooo good.

****, where in Chicago are they $3? I'll add that spot to my Chicago to-do list whenever it is I have a chance to get out there...

I like the version (and a bunch of their other sandiwches) at BAOGETTE in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads