• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek92

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fycus
Jeans and coat are too baggy, mainly jeans. Also your cuffs suck and you could use better boots.

That's be nice but I don't have the budget for Aldens. Need to get the coat taken in around the waist.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
you guys talking about understanding modern art (you really mean abstract art though, right?), need to do yourselves a favor and read 'the painted veil' by Tom Wolfe.

Wolfe never wrote a novel called the painted veil. He wrote a very bad essay called the painted word. You can read it if you want to get a few cheap laughs. He writes about art with the same deep knowledge of his chosen topic he would later display when writing about college.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2hxyntl.png

pic from OFWGKTA that just popped up, cooking like a master chef.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Derek92
Lets see if I did better this time. Advice from the Pros is very much appreciated.

J.Crew
Richard Chai
Evisu
True Religion

Needs new glasses and a hair cut. Every things a bit loose too.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Derek92
That's be nice but I don't have the budget for Aldens. Need to get the coat taken in around the waist.
No, you need to size down on the coat. Don't waste money tailoring something that is a size too big. Also, get a v-neck undershirt.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Wolfe never wrote a novel called the painted veil. He wrote a very bad essay called the painted word. You can read it if you want to get a few cheap laughs. He writes about art with the same deep knowledge of his chosen topic he would later display when writing about college.

recommend a counterpoint? It's my only source on the subject, which I happened to read because I'm a Wolfe fan. painted veil was a slip, as established already. I think I saw the movie version but can't be sure.

also, makeshift, I realized after writing that particular phrase that it was contradictory to the point I was trying to make anyways.. RO definately isn't abstract in the same vein imo. I was thinking of general enquiry rather than 'why' specifically, if that makes sense.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
recommend a counterpoint? It's my only source on the subject, which I happened to read because I'm a Wolfe fan. painted veil was a slip, as established already. I think I saw the movie version but can't be sure.

also, makeshift, I realized after writing that particular phrase that it was contradictory to the point I was trying to make anyways.. RO definately isn't abstract in the same vein imo. I was thinking of general enquiry rather than 'why' specifically, if that makes sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Aesthetics-Oxf...7989911&sr=8-2

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SPK
Quick mirror pic. Can't see much.

DXYM5l.jpg

+J
APC
+J
Alden

Nice shirt, would like to see close up on the pattern. How's the fit of +J suits? Slim erring to the side of conservative?

Derek92

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
No, you need to size down on the coat. Don't waste money tailoring something that is a size too big.

Also, get a v-neck undershirt.

Where can I find the same peacoat in a 36? This one just popped up on SW&D. Surely I can't find another one for the price I paid.
The shirt that you see is the shirt I actually wore today, but I decided I liked the look of the Jcrew more for the pic. Should've taken it off.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the button down looks fine, but I can see your undershirt and I assume this is because it is a crew cut one and not a v-neck (I used to do this as well, but it looks stupid).

I have no idea where you can find a smaller peacoat like that, but the shoulder seems fall way off your actual shoulders. sell it, recoup your losses, and find a smaller one, but don't waste money getting that tailored.

saelan

Reaction score
If you really want to get into it, this is one of the best books around on abstract art: http://www.amazon.com/Abstract-Art-B...tt_at_ep_dpi_4 And this is the best history of 20th century modern art, though it is admittedly a giant, two-volume textbook: http://www.amazon.com/Since-1900-Ant...7991257&sr=1-3

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
why do people react against the idea that art should involve difficult ideas and what are (laughably) seen as 'obscure' references? does anyone say this about, say, theoretical physics? most good art, certainly most good literature, involves difficulty. backing away from that and bleating that it's elitist is just ridiculous. yes there are a lot of idiots in the art world who will throw around references to thinkers to invoke a certain reverence and add an aura to their work which is just irritating. there are a lot of tossers in the art world for sure (and i run a gallery, believe me i know), but so there are in every field. and beneath that 'layer' there are a huge number of genuine artists who are trying to make work and engage with really complex areas of form, thought, experience. wrong place for this discussion so ill shut up.
Well, sorry if I seem like im generalizing everyone. I come off like that a lot, but I respect art tremendously. In fact I hold some artists work in very high regard. Some have impacted me greatly; Giacometti and Boccioni being one of the most notable ones.
Originally Posted by xM.
normally i wouldn't bother but semi-visible fit pics are still better than awful discussions about art
your fit aint art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads