• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is new?  I have been looking and retail on the Sapphire Sandwich version is much, much higher than that.

Well, the Sapphire Sandwich is, indeed, more. From an AD with discount, a regular ole' hesalite Speedy is around $3,300. I just saw a posting yesterday with a lightly used Speedy for ~$2,200. The deals are out there.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also......

sadly, thats all i got. bought it from the bay for fun.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well executed ferris wheel:

Badly executed ferris wheel:

I think it is the font of the 9 that is the problem... if you are going to ferris wheel, you have to have a font where a nine is clearly a nine.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Well, the Sapphire Sandwich is, indeed, more. From an AD with discount, a regular ole' hesalite Speedy is around $3,300. I just saw a posting yesterday with a lightly used Speedy for ~$2,200. The deals are out there.

hesalite is the only way to go on a speedy.....of course just my opinion. :)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, but on that watch the, er, links will, er, loosen and stretch with time... Think about those saggy links, which will make an aged Jubilee look positively, um, perky.

A wise man once told me - getting a nice looking, er, watch is a young man's game. After a certain point in your life, it's less about what the, um, watch looks like and rather more about (wink wink) what the watch will do...
hehe_NI8O62.bmp
I once heard a comedian say, "I've been married 20 years. You know what that means? It means she knows what I like,...and I know what she won't do!"
What is it?
They used to include the anchor when you bought a Submariner. It doesn't actually do anything.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is it?

a little doodad that i think used to come with a sub when you bought it.

I think it is the font of the 9 that is the problem... if you are going to ferris wheel, you have to have a font where a nine is clearly a nine.

even on the top pic i think the 9 looks too close to a 6 to me.

i have always liked the rolex dials in that i find that there is no question as to what each digit is, the look is congruous and easy on the eye, no out of place or "flipped" numbers... i think they do this very well. excellent actually, imo.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hesalite is the only way to go on a speedy.....of course just my opinion. :)

I got a hesalite speedy. Hesalite or bust. Personally, I love acrylic, especially on a sports watch. Cleans up easy, cheap to replace, and does not have a chance of shattering. Plus, it gives the speedy such a nice glow.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second datejust with baby blue arabic numerals has always confused me. I understand what they are doing... and I know that the ferris wheel approach would look silly... but I just do not enjoy that organization of arabic numerals on the dial. It just looks wrong to my eyes. And this is PURELY a personal thing.

I vastly prefer the "straight up and down approach:"

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is how i would view a ferris wheel, assuming the 9 would be standing straight up if it were there.

now, these are dials, not sub-dials, but the idea is the same i think.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The second datejust with baby blue arabic numerals has always confused me. I understand what they are doing... and I know that the ferris wheel approach would look silly... but I just do not enjoy that organization of arabic numerals on the dial. It just looks wrong to my eyes. And this is PURELY a personal thing.

This is what I meant by the ferris wheel approach (not what you posted earlier). Each numeral hangs straight, like a ferris wheel car that pivots as the wheel rotates. What you posted shows how the numeral orientation radiates from the center and flips as it gets to the lower semi-circle.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A true ferris wheel would have every number in the same direction as 12. Most clock faces are done like this, so it's not novel - however the calendar has so many more numbers, it might be too crowded.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yes, i agree. i was just saying that if you are going to be bending numbers, that is the way i like it.

it seems that almost everyone does the sideways 9 on a perp cal and they all look like a 6 to me. AP seems to be the only one i saw in my quick search that does it the way i think looks nicer and makes more sense. i think the top one is a fantastic looking dial all around. very congruent and fluid.

alternatively, there is this option, which entirely removes the issue.

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah - dopey beat me while I was looking for images.. rats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads