1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

So cold today. Had to wear some ice cold platinum.

[​IMG]

Playing around with filters here to capture details of suit jacket given poor indoor lighting. I love my TWAT brothers but there was no way in hell I was heading outdoors wearing just my suit just to get a decent picture.

[​IMG]

And just because I like 'dem CUFF LINKS!

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

5 people like this.
  2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

As the honourable Mr Barwick said, all watches of integrity seem to get respect here. My miserable collection comprises a battered old Omega worth less than my shoes, a quartz Rodania with Saddam Hussein's face on it (long story), and a shiny new Seiko in bright orange. Yet amazingly, the pack have accepted me as their own rather than tearing my miserable hide to shreds. Even the flashy bastard above with his platinum Patek has been able to find warm and friendly words about a Seiko, Tissot or Hamilton posted by one of us lesser mortals. So welcome in, Betel. The watch people on this forum are even nicer than the shoe people. Good to see you here.

I admire your principles, and I hope the anticipation will only heighten the pleasure in due course. :)

So many watches, so many bemused sales assistants....so many tantrums. You have ruined my life (and your posts are always at their best when ROs are involved!)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mimo. [​IMG]

4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have a good feeling about today . . . keeping my fingers crossed. The tough part has not been going bare but wearing a fit that compliments the new piece 3 straight days now. LOL

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks! So I will share my very limited (in terms of number of watches [​IMG]) watches. What you will see in here most of the time. [​IMG]

This was my first “real” watch. I bought it when I was 16 becuase I was a huge fan of Formula 1 and the McLaren-Mercedez Team. Whenever I saw this watch in the stores my eyes turned into hearts. Still does. It has been with me 10 years and I still love it. I believe that every watch has a very nice story with it and marks a special moment at least in my life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

My goodness. I would have absolutely lost it if that happened! I have noticed that especially with suits, one bad evening can really take down any suit. Additionally, at least for me, drycleaning and maintenance is an absolute hassle. I have to send my stuff off to Rave Fabricare, and that is just an expense that is not very fun to deal with. Thus, I have found that I enjoy myself more (and hell, do better work) when I am wearing something a bit more disposable.

And I think that your collection is a testament to how great timepieces can look after such a long period of time! Your Daytona is gorgeous.

Thank you for elaborating on your purchase! I may PM you if I end up going the Lange direction any time soon (read: doubtful)

Nope, it is for lovers of watches! And your collection is very, very nice and tasteful! Stick around, there is plenty of room.

Congrats! I need to catch up with your pace. You are going to overrun my post count before too long! Maybe stitchy can throw some posts our direction.

Also, TWAT lately has been on fire. Great watches, great discussion, etc. Things have really been picking up!

A fitting piece for the cold weather, to say the least.

1 person likes this.
  7. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Very nice trio Betel! I have a Hamilton as well and it caught me the same way your Tag did when I would see it in stores.

1 person likes this.
  8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Thanks Newcomer and jbarwick! [​IMG]

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Also JB, I have greatly enjoyed your pics of the BLNR. It looks spectacular. I may or may not have asked a certain Rolex dealer to give me some prices :nodding:

10. TC (Houston)

I too found SF becuase of my interest in clothing. As my goals were to build a classically inspired wardrobe, once I had acquired all of the staple items, I shifted rather abruptly out of acquisition mode and into maintenance mode. I rarely ever shop for clothing these days, as I find I have almost everything I want for. The exceptiong bein SWD items, but I'm in denim maybe 1 day a week, 2 tops, so that's a pretty limited demand. Nowadays,I order 3-4 shirts per year from Hamilton (if Mrs. TC doesn't hook me up for Xmas), maybe pick up one pair of shoes and a handful of ties. That's it. So personal expression is more a matter of accessorizing at this point, and what better way to do that than with watches! Also, with interest rates where they are and a somewhat limted downside to watches when buyhing smart, it's a relatively guiltless enterprise. I just need a way to figure out how to renegotiate this "one for you, one for me" policy with Mrs. TC, that's the thing that's hurting me! :)

1 person likes this.
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. TC (Houston)

Haha, so true! A CRATE of new china arrived on the doorstep yesterday afternoon. LOL

13. Dino944

Thanks for sharing your watches and your story with us. I agree that many watches have great stories behind them and/or mark significant moment's in life. I have one that was a wedding gift, birthday gifts, first real job out of law school, and a belated 10th anniversary etc. Its always nice to be reminded of great memories and achievements when you look at your watches.

Hi Nuke, I absolutely wanted to kill the waiter that spilled some thick chowder like soup on the back of my jacket. Sure accidents happen (that sucks), but to not tell me about it when I might have been able to get it out of the fabric...there is no excuse for that. Its sad but if I think there might be messy foods or service issues, many times I don't want to wear my best clothing...just because of things like that. I still love and enjoy good shoes and clothing but watches, are much easier to care for and keep looking great.

Same here, mostly at a maintenance and occasional update mode. I don't really need much in terms of clothing these days. Ah...the 1 for you, 1 for me policy can get pricey...but its necessary. Actually, one of my friends always talks about whose "Turn" it is in his household...so the question "Whose turn is it?" has kind of become a running joke with our mutual friends.

2 people like this.
  14. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Betel, great looking collection and nice to hear the stories behind them.

TC - WHWRE IS YOUR DAMN WATCH ALREADY!!!!!????!?!? (also, nice shirt)

----

regarding clothing v. watches, i would say i have been interested in both since about the age of 12. i got heavily involved in watches long before i developed anything close to such an interest in clothing. that being said, i have a hard time saying that i am more fanatical about one over the other. i have different feelings towards each, and i approach each very differently.

while i am very careful about my clothing, i have never been super heavy about the maintenance. probably about the same as i am with my watches. i make sure they are clean and pretty and in proper working condition, but i never have been the shine my shoes after every wear kind of guy, and i only dry clean stuff as needed.

i think i probably am more in love with my favorite watches than i am with my favorite clothing items, but as far as the day to day is concerned, my interests are pretty much equal with both.

1 person likes this.
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Future Mrs. JB loves new clothes and we usually end up ordering things from Europe or have her parents pick items up when they are over there. Our honeymoon was partially around shopping in the cities we will visit while I thought about my stomach and what good foods are local.

Nuke, thanks for the love. I need a family picture of my BLNR with future Mrs. JB's 31mm fluted bezel, jubilee DJ. She took the BLNR for a test run last week and said it needed a link taken out to better fit the collective "our wrists".

16. suaviter

suaviter Well-Known Member

Stoked to see your newest acquisition when it comes in ....

17. Dino944

JB, our honeymoon was quite similar shopping and food...with some site seeing in between. Mrs. Dino came home with a Channel hand bag, Hermes handbag, Hermes scarves, and Chopard earings. I used a bit more restraint and got a pair of Cartier cufflinks (like the ones Frills just picked up). Ok, I only used some restraint because I was expecting the delivery of a new Daytona when we were returned to the States. [​IMG]

18. Dino944

TC....its lunchtime here. Any news yet?

19. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

20. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I like my clothes to feel lived in. I used to freak out over potentially ruining things and worry about wearing items, but I don't really anymore. If I can't feel comfortable wearing it, what's the point. My love of cloth still dominates my love of watches. The articles of clothing that I have that our made from some of my more favorite fabrics make me smile every time I put them on (funny that my tops tend to be fall/winter stuff). Shoes are just shoes to me, which is probably healthy for my wallet. Talking to Nuke in NYC was eye opening, he truly has a love for shoes and it's fascinating to listen to him talk about different makers. I hate my feet, maybe that's why I'm not particularly in to shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.