• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macallan

Reaction score

Is there a watch that is similiar to this PP but with a more simplistic housing? At this moment I'll set my limit to $1000.
http://instagram.com/p/K5CvWtNIe9/

Frederique Constant, slim line range, http://www.frederique-constant.com/en/collections/103/fc-245m4s6.html You can find simple designs from their classic range too. You will be resticted to their battery model, which is not a bad thing - you get a thinner watch, it is within your budget and will get a 2 year guarantee.
If you want an automatic, Longines La Grande Classique http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/swisswatches/l4_708_4_11_2-mens_watches.html; however, not an ideal movement, difficult to repair outside of warrenty.

If you do plan to go the vintage route, you have to be careful - what is the cost of a service, how long before it needs a service, is there anything wrong with the watch is not obvious, etc. The cost of a vintage watch can add up quickly and in your position, avoid this route.

If you are looking at the 2nd hand market, an Omega Deville Prestige or Small seconds may be within yoru budget.

With your budget, you should avoid gold; if you really want a gold watch, a 2nd hand Baume and Mercier Classima.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Macallan, thank you for your advise!

To be honest, the Longines you linked me to is not my cup of tea.
While I love the idea of a minimalistic face, I don't like the height of the Roman numberals, which is just too high compared to their width.
Also I think the handles are not very elegant and the way the strap is attachted to the housing looks strange aswell.
I really like the FC-245M4S5, my favorite of the Slimline, but the handles ruin the overall look for myself.
To my eyes they look even worse than the ones of the Longines.
What I am looking for are handles with "flowing" lines like those of the Patek, the Stowa Marine or those of the Dornblüth & Sohn watches.
Regarding movement and gold, to myself a watch is jewlery, I don't need to take time with it very precisesly nor is it regarded an investment.
I just enjoy the look of a gold housing, white face, and a dark brown or black leather strap, I think it is a flattering classic design.
To achieve that look I don't need a massive gold housing, plated with gold is fine aswell.
The movement does not need to be something special, only, as you advised me earlier, it should be easy and relatively cheap to maintain.

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is also the Longines Flagship Heritage which I would guess you wouldn't like either. How stuck are you on the roman numerals? I have certainly seen vintage JLC that meet the rest of your criteria with the exception of the roman numerals.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, to myself
Roman numerals > Arabic numerals > No numerals.
Still I have seen watches with Arabic numerals in the past which I liked.

Regarding the Longines, you are right I do neither like the handles nor the numeralless face

Edgein

Reaction score
I believe what you're referring to as handles may be called "lugs". If you want to see some elegant versions, not cheap mind you, check out the hour lounge, VC's WIS site.

swblueblood

Reaction score
The nearest to the clean look of the PP that I am aware of was the Gentlehomme made by Jaeger LeCoultre which is no longer made. Check use watch dealers. I wish that JL did not discontinue the line, the Gentlehomme line was one of my favorite watch designs. Simple and elegant. I see that your prefer the design of Roman numerals to the baton numerals while I like the simplicity of the baton numerals to the Roman numerals. I do,however, prefer the Roman numerals to Arabic numerals. Good luck in your search. (PS that watch is my grail.)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cross posting this with the Poor Man's Watch threak: Joma Shop has the military Seiko 5 for $60 as their deal of the day. Free shipping with code wcj50

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-mens-watch-snk809.html

Also, going to be putting up my Archimede Pilot Chrono for sale. It'll be a day or two before I get the pics up but its in great shape. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks a lot!
They are indeed lovely.
Not a fan of those "riffles" on the housing but apart from that, very close to perfect.
Very nice lugs, minimalistic face, great looking numerals.
How much is asked for a Gentilhomme in good condition?
Of course still interested in other recommendations.

EDIT:
Just found out about the Glashütte Original Senator Meissen.
Wow, perfect!
Unaffordable though :(

EDIT2:
Another nice looking watch, even if not in gold and as perfect overall as the JLC and GO, is the Sinn 1736 Klassik.
I was born in Frankfurt am Main and my father was a friend of Helmut Sinn, so even if it's not his company anymore I still have a weak spot for their watches.
http://www.sinn.de/de/Modell/1736_Klassik.htm

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's an original IWC Portofino (ref. 5251). Runs on a pocket watch caliber (cal. 9521). Stopped making them in the 90's.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't have a very extensive watch collection, but here's our current "family" portrait. Quality above quantity I suppose. :embar:

From L-R: My wife's AP Jules Audemars Calibre 3090 Manufacture Hand-Wound; AP Royal Oak Dualtime Calibre 2329/2846 Self-Winding; and Omega Plant Ocean 42 mm Calibre 2500

Last edited:

swblueblood

Reaction score
That Sinn is beautiful. Very elegant and simple. I prefer a watch that does not overpower the person with extensive addional junk. The watch I currently wear is a Rolex Date 2 tone with baton numbers. It does not distract from me the person, The other watch I wear is also a Rolex Air King with a baton dial(a gift from my wife). Both are not my idea of perfect but they do not detract from me, the person.

I see that some close to you knew Helmet Sinn, founder of Sinn. I learned to enjoy watches from a friend of my mother who was a certified Swiss master watchmaker ( to obtain his certification he had to prove that he could make a watch from stock material, but before he started , he had to made his tools from the bar stock). He would dismantle watches and show me the beauty of the movements.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't have a very extensive watch collection, but here's our current "family" portrait. Quality above quantity I suppose.
shog[1].gif

From L-R: My wife's AP Jules Audemars Calibre 3090 Manufacture Hand-Wound; AP Royal Oak Dualtime Calibre 2329/2846 Self-Winding; and Omega Plant Ocean 42 mm Calibre 2500

Very nice! I'll take quality over quantity any day. Your wife's AP Jules Audemars is a beauty and I love your RO Dual Time. I know the RO is hit or miss with this crowd, but its always been one of my favorite sport watches. It took me a while to decide which one I wanted. I considered the Dual Time, the chronograph, the calendar (subdials for day and date), and the "Jumbo." I just recently ordered a Jumbo. It's kind of a belated 40th Bday gift/10th anniversary gift from the Mrs. Now is the tough part... waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads