1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Well-Known Member

Fantastic!

2. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Well-Known Member

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

^^ very nice ^^

the little diamond on the bottom of the case between the lugs is also a cool touch with the PP platinum models.

thanks. :)

4. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

Omega rules with an iron movement, excellent, [​IMG][​IMG]very cool stuff! Is it in production yet?

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I guess I admire their restraint in not adding a lightningbolt second hand but otherwise it seems a bit too derivative.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Happy murdering. :p

3 people like this.
  7. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

+ about 1000. Absolutely gorgeous watches. One of my dream watches, for sure.

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

ddd - i love that nautilus so much.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I don't know...I think the "bumble bee" striped second hand is a little goofy, and overall it just looks like another AT. Nice but not ground breaking.
    Beautiful Nautilus! For some reason, I find its design far more appealing than its sportier sibling, the Aquanaut (although both are nice watches).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

12. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

We should all be so lucky to go through midlife crises and come out all the better for it! That is an incredible watch and congratulations on it once again. The heft of platinum is a real nice feeling imo and is a truly private pleasure. To make things better platinum has this warmth of tone and will age better than watches made with other white metals. Not a fan of the new anti magnetic omega, but I guess it is better than the green glass lightning hand milgauss. I don't know, is magnetism really a problem with modern mechanical watches? The cynical side of me (ie all of me) can't help but feel it's a bit of a marketing ploy in the vein of the helium escape valve.

13. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

Spectacular watch, and would echo points made by others about the private pleasure of a hefty watch. Heft and wrist presence are key to continuing to enjoy a watch well into the future without getting bored.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Omega and Rolex, engaging in a marking ploy? For shame...

I am siding with the Cynical side.

15. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For better or worse I went big and hefty. 45mm 210. I've been using it predominantly as my dress watch for the past 9 years. I would love to try the 42mm version of the watch - but wouldn't be the best use of my funds at this time.

16. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

Watch magnetism is a real thing. Recently I left my RO near some speakers and it started running about 20 seconds/day fast. Was totally freaked out, took it to the AP boutique, they diagnosed it as magnetized and put it through their demagnetization machine, and now it's back to dead on accuracy. If I worked near a lot of electronics (hospital, university lab, etc) I would probably seek out a watch with at least some level of anti magnetic protection.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Its a real thing, but rather limited. You made an honest mistake and it probably won't happen again. Also thats a mild effect on your watch. My wife works in a hospital and her automatic Cartier Tank Francaise became magnitized twice. When her watch became magnetized it was off by hours. We realized it was because her department was directly across from the MRI department. We did start looking at antimagnetic watches, but once her department moved to a different part of the building she stopped having problems with her watch becoming magnetized.

The real need for an antimagnetic watch is probably limited to a few work enviroments. I think most people buying antimagnetic watches do it as a novelety. Much in the way that someone has pointed out that people buy diving watches watches with helium escape valves...most owners never do prolonged deep see diving where they are living in an environment with a mixture of helium and oxygen, hence the helium escape valve is unnecessary. I imagine most current Milgauss owners work at a desk with a computer and a very limited exposure to magnetism...hell Rolex could barely give the originals away when they were around in the 1960s and 1970s and eventually just made them a special order item. Rolex revived the name and function when they saw how expensive vintage Milgausses had become.

18. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

I did purchase my Omega SMP 36mm shortly after a summer job and getting my SCUBA license at 14, but you're entirely correct--maybe one of every five thousand dive watches is used in its intended manner? :laugh:

19. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

That's a fair point, going forward I'm definitely not going to store my watches near speakers. The fact that it jumped to 20 seconds a day and not minutes per hour as I've seen reported online was actually why I was so spooked - I ruled out the magnetism diagnosis and thought the mechanicals broke.

20. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Sorry, but in conditions like these maybe quartz makes more sense.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.