• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you've made up your mind! :fistbump:

Just make sure with a vintage piece, it's in English if thats what you want. The pic there is French (which is kinda cool too if you ask me)

French would not be good!!

You said vintage...is the the Master Calendar no longer in production?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

French would not be good!!
You said vintage...is the the Master Calendar no longer in production?

I think it would be kinda cool to have the day and month in French tho'! Either way that watch is excellent!

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baselworld is in March,,,any idea if JLC plans to introduce a new version of the Master Calendar?

Champy

Reaction score
I just received my brand new Tommy Hilfiger watch which I fancy a lot. I like the feeling of breaking in the new leather straps as always.
What do you think? It's nothing limited, or high-end or luxurious but it will do a pretty god job for a day watch just for a change.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Baselworld is in March,,,any idea if JLC plans to introduce a new version of the Master Calendar?

no idea. but one day im going to attend. one day..... le sigh.

also re: the french lettering. i like that my jlc says automatique not automatic. :)

Cylon

Reaction score

Does JLC even "go" to Baselworld? I thought they release their items at SIHH. I honestly don't know.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does JLC even "go" to Baselworld? I thought they release their items at SIHH. I honestly don't know.

pretty sure they do both, but i could be wrong.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the Master Calendar is the one I want!!

I think that is a great looking watch, but I am always a bit surprised by watches that have a reserve indicator for 40 hrs. As far as I know, an automatic typically has a 40+ hr power reserve. Why would you then have an indicator for that on such a nice/higher end watch?

Cylon

Reaction score
I'm paranoid about buyers remorse, so i would just wait until Baselworld 2012 just to be sure
patch[1].gif

Who knows, you may find a non-JLC you fall in love with!

That is, of course, unless you have 10k burning a hole in your pocket
cool.gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that is a great looking watch, but I am always a bit surprised by watches that have a reserve indicator for 40 hrs. As far as I know, an automatic typically has a 40+ hr power reserve. Why would you then have an indicator for that on such a nice/higher end watch?

higher end watches do not by definition store more power. the indicator just tells you how much power your watch has stored. its more practical in a manual wind where you can see if your watch is running low and wind it if necessary. on an automatic model that is constantly winding on the wrist, its more there to be pretty and as a complication being offered by the manufacture.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they were going to do so, I think they would have done it at SIHH this past January when they released their new watches. I don't think most companies go to both shows.

I usually think Richmont and AP are the big brands at SIHH, and Swatch Group, Patek and Rolex the big names at Basel.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember reading an article, i think maybe watchtime, that the royal oak is one of the few watches that actually costs quite a bit to manufacture, considering all of the detailing work and finishing. Not sure how accurate that article was, but i'd believe it considering how many brands put out generic looking steel watches that still cost 5k.

Yes, I've read articles that describe both the process of making the dials, and beveling the case edges and bracelet links is incredibly labor intensive. Its also the kind of watch you only want AP to do any polishing (if at all after several years of wearing). I've seen a few ROs that looked horrible after botched polishing jobs by local watch makers. Once those crisply beveled edges are gone the watches never look quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads