• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But this morning - dressed as Wayne:

Crazy large TapaTalk pictures FTW!

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score
Here's a question that hopefully isn't too far off the main topic; but I figured that this place would be the best to ask:

What do you guys do regarding the shirt sleeve? I have watches that have some size, but are not unreasonable for what they are (speedmaster 9300 and hamilton khaki) that I wear most often. They don't fit well under the shirt sleeve when buttoned. Does anyone else have this issue? Do you just leave the shirt unbuttoned at the sleeve, move the button, or is there an alternate resolution?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have never looked at an AP RO as closely as I did when Dino was sporting his, and I must say that the finishing is first rate.  The skeletonized rotor - should have taken a pic - majestically showed off the lovely movement.  I dare say that as much as I love my PP 5711, Dino's AP showed off the movement in a much better way.

i really need an RO. :(

Mrs Dino joined us! She was lovely and incredibly conversant when it came to watches and watch collecting - as befits Dino's partner in life.  Totally had a blast and it was great just chatting about stuff aside from watches too.

i would not have expected any less.

I would not mind at all if Ms Upton joined us at some future meetup.

well obvi.

Why do I love this woman so much?  Let me try to grasp her "ways."

FTFY

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here's a question that hopefully isn't too far off the main topic; but I figured that this place would be the best to ask:
What do you guys do regarding the shirt sleeve? I have watches that have some size, but are not unreasonable for what they are (speedmaster 9300 and hamilton khaki) that I wear most often. They don't fit well under the shirt sleeve when buttoned. Does anyone else have this issue? Do you just leave the shirt unbuttoned at the sleeve, move the button, or is there an alternate resolution?

i cant recall moving a button, though i have had the thought to. most of the time i dont have an issue, but with some shirts, they dont fit over my JLC or panerai. i just try and get the cuff to go over the side of the case and thats enough for me.

but tbh, as soon as i get to my desk, i take off my jacket and roll up my sleeves, so for most of the time its a non issue.

i know some people (dereks) leaves his shirt sleeve unbuttoned, but my OCD would not allow that.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had the buttons moved on one shirt but most others the watch slides right under. I wear a Hamilton Khaki as well.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any JLC UTM owners that can comment as to how it wears and what it's like as an EDC? Its at the top of the list for my next purchase and my local AD didnt have one for me to try on. The normal ultra thin felt a bit too... well thin. The master chrono felt much better on the wrist, I know the moon is a bit thicker though and was wondering if anyone could share how they like theres. Other options are the GO panomatic lunar, and the IWC portuguese. Although i think i prefer the more traditional dial of the JLC over the GO.

JLC is most definitely the best of that bunch. Not only does it look the most classic, but has the best movement.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
newcomer should be here any minute to weigh in regarding the MUT.

frilly: details on your dub monks, plz?

On the shirt cuff question, most of my watches fit comfortably under my sleeves....particularly the ones that I wear to the office.

But if it's bad combination of too big a watch/ too snug cuffs, then I just push the sleeve back slightly and let the "edge" of the shirt sleeve ride under the watch case. It kind of forces the watch lower on the wrist, basically. I maybe have only a couple of timepieces (or tighter-cuffed shirts) in rotation where this is necessary.

That approach however, is NOT to be a d-bag or show off my watch to anyone else....strictly so I can see it and enjoy it. Oh, and uh..tell the time at a glance.

I can also see the sprezzy approach of leaving a button undone if necessary, but I guess that's not my way of resolving it.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
As promised, some salacious watch pics from my HK trip...

a pretty rare watch, in fact live photos were not even allowed at its unveiling at SIHH in Jan

Wouldnt buy it though.. look at how ridiculously huge it is. Lange should have made it a pocket watch, especially given the 42500.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got another one incoming. Vintage styling, chrono, from the Swatch Group. Not exactly haute horology but it will fit well in my collection.

Any JLC UTM owners that can comment as to how it wears and what it's like as an EDC? Its at the top of the list for my next purchase and my local AD didnt have one for me to try on. The normal ultra thin felt a bit too... well thin. The master chrono felt much better on the wrist, I know the moon is a bit thicker though and was wondering if anyone could share how they like theres. Other options are the GO panomatic lunar, and the IWC portuguese. Although i think i prefer the more traditional dial of the JLC over the GO.

Although the least "WIS" of the three, I like the IWC

Gratuitous re post because Jesus Christ...

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, Keith - the dubmonks are from Carmina, sold by Epaulet here in NYC. The pair I have is in burgundy Horween shell cordovan, and they are over one year old. I've worn them about once every two weeks, and never had them shined actually. Just the occasional dab of Renovateur every month or so for a light matte "polish" and to rub off some scuff marks. They have double leather soles and are very comfortable.

Part of what gives them the psychedelic deep red color has to be the filters I used to stitch the pics together, but they really do look good in person and a warm little luster has settled in. Here's a close up pic.

yru2unus.jpg

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woh, stitchy, you weren't kidding about those LARGE pics that Tapatalk tends to upload...!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But if it's bad combination of too big a watch/ too snug cuffs, then I just push the sleeve back slightly and let the "edge" of the shirt sleeve ride under the watch case. It kind of forces the watch lower on the wrist, basically. I maybe have only a couple of timepieces (or tighter-cuffed shirts) in rotation where this is necessary.
That approach however, is NOT to be a d-bag or show off my watch to anyone else....strictly so I can see it and enjoy it. Oh, and uh..tell the time at a glance.

i do this sometimes. but i am a douche. so, yeah.

Woh, stitchy, you weren't kidding about those LARGE pics that Tapatalk tends to upload...!

:slayer:

--

MZ - very pretty longines. i like it a lot. /ace ventura.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Cool beans, frilly. I was wondering if they were shell. Love 'em.

~B~ I hear you on the Lange. Hockey puck proportions in order to make it such a complicated watch.

MZhammer that strap makes a good combo with the vintage styling on the Longines....not sure if it was included in your purchase, but it certainly seems to match well.

And that Kate pic.....Great Caesar's ghost.

div25sec9

Reaction score

newcomer should be here any minute to weigh in regarding the MUT.

frilly: details on your dub monks, plz?

On the shirt cuff question, most of my watches fit comfortably under my sleeves....particularly the ones that I wear to the office.

I can also see the sprezzy approach of leaving a button undone if necessary, but I guess that's not my way of resolving it.

I've been leaving the cuff undone on the shirts that I have the problem on, but this has made me feel a little self conscious.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some great posts lately guys! Frills and Dino, it sounds like y'all had a great time. I have always wanted to have a meetup with another TWATter. Caveats of living in a small town!

Keith, I hope I was quick enough with my canned review!

Just started my first week of work, so I have been a little bit behind on keeping up with things!

Enjoy! Also, I apologize in advance for the length!

Pre-Purchase Expectations:

As stated above, I used to owned a JLC MC, and I sold that off to fund the Moon. So at the very least I wanted to fill the hole in my collection that was previously filled by the MC. I also wanted something that was brand new. I purchased my MC second hand, and it always bothered me that some of the little nicks in the case were caused by the previous owner. I am insane like that. I wanted a dress watch, but I wanted something that could be dressed down. So, did it accomplish those goals?

Post-Purchase Pros:

Timekeeping and Movement:

The watch keeps great time. Between +0 to +1 seconds a day. No complaints here. Both JLCs I have owned have absolutely killed it when it comes to keeping good time.

Movement is great. Very nicely decorated for the price point. I wish there was some anglage on the bridges, but for a watch under $10,000, I really cannot complain about the movement and the finishing. The date changes instantaneously at midnight, which I am also a huge sucker for. I think at this price point that is a nice addition.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab60/JoshuaMcd6/P1010674.jpg

Case:

The case is legitimately a work of art. It really cannot be described as anything other than a masterpiece. The MUT case is almost painfully elegant. Far and away my favorite part of the watch. The first word that pops into my mind is ‘multifaceted.’

The angles of the case change from the bezel to the caseback around five times (see ghetto diagram). It is a detail that really pops in person, but is difficult to really identify in pictures. I tried my best though in the following picture!

The lugs are also wonderful. Compared to the fairly angular lines of the case, the lugs smoothly sweep downward in a beautifully organic shape. The lugs are very delicate, and match nicely with the fairly narrow bezel. I would not hesitate to call them sensual, as much as I hate to describe watches as being sensual. Hopefully the lady friend never reads this review! I honestly dare you to find a more attractive case for a dress watch.

Dial:

What is there to say about the dial? It really is about as perfect as it gets. The only text on the dial is the “JL,” the words “Jaeger-LeCoultre,” and “Automatique.” No frivolous [frillyvous] text here. The lower part of the moonphase subdial has a very fine circular guillochage. And the date ring has a nice almost enamel look to it. It looks quite striking adjacent to the sunburst silver dial. Let us also not forget the hands. As usual, the blued second hand is gorgeous, and the brushed / polished dauphine hands are beautiful. Perhaps I would prefer the hands to be a bit thicker, but there is NO DOUBT that it is not painfully elegant as is.

Crown:

The crown is also beautiful. Very nicely shaped, and very detailed. The crown does have some “con” elements listed below.

Objectively Beautiful:

So this is kind of a silly category, but this is the only descriptor I can think of. There are plenty of watches on this forum, and while there are many that I love, there are many that I dislike. There are some like the Milgauss with its lightning bolt hand and green crystal that are quirky, charming, and oh-so intriguing. But while some may love the Milgauss, others may think it is childish, immature, comical. In the same vein, while I really dig Panerai, there is no doubt that it stirs strong emotions. Same thing with my Orange Monster. I have worn it and people have legitimately wondered what on EARTH I had strapped to my wrist.

On the other hand, this watch… it is absolutely, undeniably, objectively beautiful. I am not saying that it is or should be on everyone’s wish list, but it is a nonconfrontational, elegant, and aesthetically pleasing watch. It is not very quirky, it is very traditional, and it is very well executed. There is no way that someone could look at the Moon and say, “wow, look at that monstrosity.” There may be some who think it is a bit old fogeyish, and I will not deny that. But there is something nice about strapping a watch to your wrist that is not going to be offending anyone. I would feel comfortable wearing it around anyone, anywhere.

Another plus is that the Moon will likely age well. Here is how I look at it. Right now the Moon is an athletic 21-year-old brunette with beautiful, fair skin, some freckles, and a thin frame. How will she look in 20 years? Who knows! That is one of the beautiful things about life. But all things considered, she has the attributes that would enable her to look more like a Cindy Crawford than a Nicole Kidman (see: Omega Forum). There is a much higher chance that my Moon is going to age better than my Orange Monster. That aspect of the Moon really does appeal to me.

Strap:

Strap and deployant are great in my opinion. They both wear very well. I think that the quality of the strap is significantly better than my last JLC. Pics of both included for purpose of comparison.

Post-Purchase Cons:

Crown:

This is the one primary issue I have with the watch. The crown is TINY. Like teeny tiny. I know, I know, it is an automatic, and if you wear it enough, this is a non-issue. But still, setting the time is a major pain **********. One good thing though is that it only has one position, so at least it has a sturdy feel. But you know, aesthetically, the crown is just a great size. So it is a bit of a trade off.

Moonphase:

I know this is a bit nit-picky, but the moonphase appears kind of static. Unlike some ‘super high-end’ watches, the moonphase does not have applied stars, nor is the moon applied. I think that a more textured moonphase disc would be more harmonious with the guillochage on the bottom of the subdial and the sunburst texture of the dial itself. Is this a dealbreaker? Absolutely not. But it is definitely not as dynamic as the moonphases on other timepieces.

Versatility:

Do not kid yourself. This is not a versatile watch in the least. I know, I know, you do not buy a JLC Master series watch and think that it is going to take you everywhere. But I owned a Master Control for the better part of a year, and I found it to be FAR more versatile. Maybe it was the thicker bezel, maybe the date window, and maybe the Arabic numerals, but that piece was far more successful when it came to versatility. This one feels a little bit awkward when it comes to dressing it down. Of course, I will still wear it with khaki shorts and a polo, but it definitely does not mesh as well.

In order to wear it casually, I actually switched it to a tan ostrich strap. I really enjoyed wearing it this way, but I recently switched back to the black strap. There is no doubt in my mind that this watch was born to be worn on a black gator strap. I think that a navy gator and a dark brown gator would also be successful, so that will likely be a future purchase. I knicked the lugs a bit trying to change the straps, so I have decided to keep it on the black strap for a while.

“In Between” Comments:

Just some little asides I thought I would throw in, neither negative nor positive necessarily. First off, the lug width is surprisingly large for a thin, 39mm watch. Lug width is 21mm! For comparison, the JLC MC was 40mm in width, and took a 20mm strap. As I said, this is neither a negative nor a positive. It is just something I was a little bit surprised about. When I first looked at the side profile of the watch, it kind of reminded me of one of my heftier friends wearing a white, spread colored shirt and a bowtie for the first time. He looked dapper, but there was a lot of “empty space,” if you catch my drift. I kind of get the same feel when I look at the side profile of the watch. Fortunately, the empty space here is an absolutely beautiful crocodile strap, which is lovely to look at. This is just something I really did not notice until I wore it for a few days!

Another thing. There is no lume. Personally, I would be annoyed if there WAS lume on the watch. But I know that for some of you cats that is a deal breaker.

Another thing I think bears mentioning is that the moonphase and date are set through pushers at ~ 4:00 and 7:00. They are unobtrusive, and they actually look very nice set into the case. In a way it would be nice if the crown had two positions, and rotating the crown clockwise and counter-clockwise set the date and moonphase. In other words, for the watch to function similarly to the FC Slimline Moonphase that just came out. Personally though, I do not mind setting the date and moonphase with pushers. I actually prefer it on this watch, because I would rather not be fiddling with the crown all the time.

Final Thoughts:

All in all, I cannot recommend this watch more. It is an absolutely stunningly beautiful JLC. I know that this review was a bit harsh, but I think people need to be fully informed before they make a purchase of this magnitude. If I were to go back in time, I would do it all over again.

Just one final thought. I have not bonded to this watch as much as I would have hoped yet. With my Speedmaster, I really did bond with it very quickly. But I also think that the Speedy is a much more charming watch. I have not had the chance to really wear the Moon everyday though, although that will be changing soon when I start my new job in September. So I will be sure to keep this thread updated when it comes to describing how I feel about the watch over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads