• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Frills, those ruby shell dubmonks are the bees knees. I need to get me some of those.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Told you.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newcomer, that is the next watch on my list. My only JLC is a 1950's solid gold vintage piece with the 883 movement and I do need to add something modern to my rotation.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Told you.

You called it :fistbump:

thank you newcomer! Just what i needed to reaffirm my decision.

As an aside amigo, my other choice other than the MUT Moon was the GO PML. Although I loved the face, I found it a bit slabsided. A fact that is only increased by the thin bezel, which causes it to wear quite large. I also did not care for the cream dial with white big date. That watch has a whole lot of personality though. In the end, I was influenced by Dino, who made me realize that what I really want is the Lange 1 Moonphase. The GO PML, at the end of the day, would be a placeholder for me until I reached my grail.

Now, I really do like the older versions of the PML, when it was a silver dial rather than cream.

Oh, and although aesthetically the IWC Chrono is very nice, it is really fighting outside of its weight class...

Newcomer, that is the next watch on my list. My only JLC is a 1950's solid gold vintage piece with the 883 movement and I do need to add something modern to my rotation.

I have to say, I do not think you can go wrong with the MUT Moon! It is a great watch, and JLC really stands behind their products.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey folks first time post in this thread, long time lurking...

while on vacation i tried on the Omega SEAMASTER DIVER 300 M CO-AXIAL CHRONOGRAPH 44 MM

looks like this:

now i see the watch at several places for a price of around 6k (see link and i keep seeing older models for 3500,
does anyone know what the dealer markup typically is on Omega watches?

Also as far as chronographs go, what are some other sf approved makers that range between 2500-5k.

side note i am planning to switch out the strap for probably black rubber for everyday wear.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT write up, newC. excellent. and that first pic is one of the best MUT pics all time. really makes me want one.

sinnedk - not sure exactly, but omega i think is 45% or 50% back to ADs. discounts of 15% or more i think should be fairly easily had. someone feel free to correct me on that, kind of a guess on the discount based on some past experience.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

EXCELLENT write up, frills. excellent. and that first pic is one of the best MUT pics all time. really makes me want one.

sinnedk - not sure exactly, but omega i think is 45% or 50% back to ADs. discounts of 15% or more i think should be fairly easily had. someone feel free to correct me on that, kind of a guess on the discount based on some past experience.

Idk, $6k sounds about right for that watch if you buy from the actual Omega boutique.

Do brands let their AD's give discounts if they have their own boutique stores?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sinnedk - Sticking in the Omega family, a lot of people will say get a Speedmaster Professional. The manual winds are in the 3K range while autos may be a little above budget. Longines may be within your budget as well but I am not well versed in those. Someone will probably jump in and mention one from their collection.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the boutiques i do not think would discount, but when it comes to the ADs, its not really about if ADs have permission, its more about if they do it anyways or not. most ADs offer some kind of discount. at least ime.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do have a connection for a wholesaler for watches and am waiting on a quote right now. I am hoping i can get that watch for much less then retail.

I originally wanted a panerai but its too bulky for my hand.

here is me trying the special edition on in the omega store in venice:

what do you guys think? i thought it looked pretty good, i rarely have a chrono fit me well.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful watch - can I ask what the model number is? I am looking for a new dress watch. 

Its the Louis Cartier Tank XL, reference W1551451. Its part of the as Cartier says, "Retired" Privee Collection. It was in production from roughly 2006-2007. 200 were made in rose and 50 in platinum. It has a very interesting rectangular movement ( many rectangular watches have round movements). I did see a similar piece available at the Cartier Flagship 5th Ave Boutique. They have a Privee dual time version in white gold available for sale and unlike the current ultra thin Tank XL, this one also has a rectangular movement.

So, for those who think that I am just a Rolex hater, I decided that I was going to pick up a Submariner. I did not want it in classic black as it is just too plain, looks just like every other watch (that ripped of Rolex design) and is too "inside the box". I finally settled on the 50th Anniversary Edition M serial number as it was the last of the run and perhaps easier to find in mint condition. After about a month of searching and negotiating, I finally settled on and made a deal on an absolutely mint and complete one. Should receive it this week.

Congrats! I have one and I have really enjoying wear it. Hope you enjoy yours.

mimo - I will do as promised.  I actually did wear the 5040 for Dino and Mrs Dino as Dino had indicated that he appreciated the tonneau case, etc.

Mrs Dino joined us! She was lovely and incredibly conversant when it came to watches and watch collecting - as befits Dino's partner in life.  Totally had a blast and it was great just chatting about stuff aside from watches too.

Yes, I was hoping you would wear the 5040, as its a piece I had never seen up close until we had lunch. As with most time pieces its a watch that pictures do not do justice to. Its a real treat to see in person. The 3940 is a great piece and the 3970 is a stunner, but I've been lucky enough to handle those in the past. So it was great to see a Patek I had never seen previously in person.

Thank you for the kind words about Mrs. Dino. She really enjoyed meeting you and getting to see the 5040. She has always had a soft spot for non-round cases, particularly Tonneau cases, which she has previously seen from Cartier and VC. Again thank you for sharing part of your busy work day with us we had so much fun chatting with you.

i really need an RO. :(
i would not have expected any less.

Hoping you'll have a RO someday soon, and thanks bro.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dino. Me too!

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sinnedk - Sticking in the Omega family, a lot of people will say get a Speedmaster Professional.  The manual winds are in the 3K range while autos may be a little above budget.  Longines may be within your budget as well but I am not well versed in those.  Someone will probably jump in and mention one from their collection.

yea i tried on the speed master, it has a neat story about how it was used by nasa, but i felt that the watch looked too big on my hand even though it was smaller than a seamaster, i may give it another shot when time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members