• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B - you make me want to buy a typewriter just for watch pics. :)

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my very few full MC days at work yesterday. Sleeves don't really sit like that etc. I'm not experienced in the ways of MC photos (hence no robopose full body pic, sorry Stitchy).

Someday I'll have a proper dress watch, but it's not really practical for me at the moment. JLC MUT Moon Phase maybe :inlove:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me know when y'all do another Nashvegas trip, I can easily make that trip.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's rather generous of you to say; I didn't even get any entertainment out of it. But at least some good came of the link; I remembered to check whether Jack Forster — someone who does have writing talent — had any new articles. Lo and behold, I found this, which incisively summarizes everything that's wrong with the mindless pap that constitutes a typical watch article:

[COLOR=0009FF]"I know of no other branch of consumer journalism [than watches] in which (and it gives me no pleasure to say this) the press has so thoroughly abdicated its responsibility to bring some level of critical acuity to the products it covers, and there are a number of reasons for this.[...]

Now part of the problem — especially in the United States — is that the whole notion of watches as objects to be taken seriously on any level at all is largely an alien one. Virtually every editor-in-chief of every major consumer publication from the lowest to the highest knows very little about watches and watchmaking; individuals who in every other respect are models of intelligent discernment, who wouldn’t dream of approaching wine, or style, or cars, or architecture, from an uninformed perspective, look at watches with a nervous suspicion (often largely justified, it pains me to say) that not only are they themselves not terribly interested in watches, but their readers aren’t either. Thus we see high end mechanical watches –objects with over 500 years of history in Europe and the USA, and which for much of that time represented one of the most sophisticated syntheses of technology, science, and artistry in the entire course of human history –handled by already overworked fashion or accessories/jewelry editors; the level of sophistication is usually abysmal (all-black is in!) and coverage all too often consists of a single page of watches with only the most superficial relationship with each other piled one atop the other like so much fruit in a basket."[/COLOR]

I was surprised to find the perfect antidote to the mind-numbing effect of AA's vacuous drivel within the same publication. What amazes me is that whoever is in charge of this stuff at Forbes presumably didn't experience any cognitive dissonance (or at least not enough to drop Adams' column) from running the "social peacocking" dreck right after Forster's call for writing standards, design education and discernment in the industry press.

The article goes into more detail regarding the drought of journalistic credibility and reasoned critique in the watch industry; it's well worth reading in full. This is what real writing looks like:

The Good, The Bad, And The Inexcusable: On Writing About Watches

Belligero - as always, a most welcome post. I will read the full article when things settle down here in my chaotic little home, but the snippet you just posted is first rate. As always.

But I have an important message: Happy Fourth of July!!

Nuke - this might come as a surprise to you (and to everyone), but this is a highly "no frills"-approved message/picture/post!!! Happy 4th indeed!

As we must continually seek to broaden our horizons regarding these topics, may I submit this picture of the lovely Ms Nina Agdal, also looking very patriotic.

She is of Danish descent, and starred in a commercial for Carl's Jr recently. I have never appreciated charbroiled Atlantic cod fish as much until I saw that video. Look it up!
I think when you are ready to pick up a Daytona, it will put a very large smile on your face, based on its solid performance, great looks, and versatility.

+1 ^^ abso-freakin-lutely.

Went to Coney Island today and spent way too much time in the sand. So the 5711 had to take a bath.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my very few full MC days at work yesterday. Sleeves don't really sit like that etc. I'm not experienced in the ways of MC photos (hence no robopose full body pic, sorry Stitchy).

Someday I'll have a proper dress watch, but it's not really practical for me at the moment. JLC MUT Moon Phase maybe :inlove:

Love the SM300.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I meant to mention, its interesting that a watchmaker (particularly one with Patek experience) holds the Daytona in such high regard as to choose one for himself.

Actual picture that I took of my friend - who audaciously wore a Rolex when we went on a private tour of Patek USA's facilities in NYC - with a watchmaker. Who works for Patek. Look at what she's wearing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cyc - i can forgive the lack of full fit because the speedy is so awesome.

flake - :fistbump:

Let me know when y'all do another Nashvegas trip, I can easily make that trip.

:slayer: fo sho!

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now understand why many experienced collectors (not that I consider myself a collector, I just like wearing 'em) have stated that they'd pick a Daytona of some sort if they had to choose only one watch.

I've owned at least 1 Daytona in some form or other since 1994, and they never fail to put a smile on my face or impress me. I used one as a daily wearer for 5 years, it was dead on accurate (maybe the most accurate watch I ever owned), banged the hell out of it, and sold it for nearly twice what I paid for it when they were nearly impossible to get brand new. Kept some of the money and used the rest to buy another one at list price.
Also, I went to a local watch shop today, which is a Rolex AD. Finally saw a black dialed Daytona. I have to say... I am pretty darn smitten. Just looked phenomenal on my wrist. I have never really understood the allure, but what an incredibly solid feeling watch. It just handles so nice as well.

And on the topic of Daytonas... here's Nautilus and Daytona, taking a hot shower together, kinda scratching up against one another. How hot is that! Better than some late-night Cinemax movies, fo sho.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And on the topic of Daytonas... here's Nautilus and Daytona, taking a hot shower together, kinda scratching up against one another. How hot is that! Better than some late-night Cinemax movies, fo sho.

Sorry, I was just taking a shower.

What did you say?
rotflmao.gif

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is funny. I feel like I have had a similar experience so far, without the whole actually getting one thing. It really is fairly telling when you have guys like you, Frills, Dino, etc., who own and rave about their Daytona when they have other watches that are objectively "better." Especially for us young 'uns who are on the aspirational side still!

And trust me, TWAT will be the first place I come when I get any new watch! Love the pictures by the way, especially the espresso picture.

I can definitely see how one could have those feelings about it! It definitely seems like an easy watch to bond with. It is comfortable, you can wear it anywhere, it is tough as nails, etc. There is something about an incredibly functional watch that is very attractive. I am sure that you will eventually splurge for one of the newer Rolexes... but honestly, those lugs really just don't work for me.

Still not big enough!

I will make sure to take the complaint to the mods!

Thanks, Nuke.  And one day I would also like a Daytona very much: white dial for me I think.

Daytona bros for life :cheers:

nuke - I APPROVE OF YOUR MESSAGE!!!!

:slayer:

As much as I love the classics (Kate), I have to say, this Nina Agdal creature is very easy on the eyes. Although I have a penchant for blondes (currently dating for the first time a brunette), Miss Agdal is very captivating. I appreciate the patriotism!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is funny. I feel like I have had a similar experience so far, without the whole actually getting one thing. It really is fairly telling when you have guys like you, Frills, Dino, etc., who own and rave about their Daytona when they have other watches that are objectively "better." Especially for us young 'uns who are on the aspirational side still!

As much as I love the classics (Kate), I have to say, this Nina Agdal creature is very easy on the eyes. Although I have a penchant for blondes (currently dating for the first time a brunette), Miss Agdal is very captivating. I appreciate the patriotism!

I love my other pieces with crazy passion - but I haven't traded out my Daytona to fund the acquisition of any other piece, and it gets worn at least as much as the others. Actually, now that my wife wears it exclusively, it gets worn all the friggin time!

As for Ms Agdal, well. Here is the Hardee's / Carl's Jr commercial that aired during Superbowl weekend earlier this year. Stopped many a conversation:

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While many in here doesn't like the wider lug and bigger dots that gives the Submariner a more sporty look, but there are two major changes that made my decision to purchase the new version.

- the new ceramic bezel that is virtually scratch resistant and always shinny
- and most importantly, the new glidelock clasp, seriously, IMHO, all metal watch bracelets should embrace that design, those small increments come in so handy.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh... my AD just called me to inform me that they have a new GMT BLNR in stock. I say "ugh" because I made the decision to pass on this watch a couple of weeks back in lieu of either buying a regular GMT and saving $3,000 in the process or holding out for a few months and seeing if I have the funds for an AP. That said, it's frustrating to know that I'm a mere 2 miles away from a BLNR and could have one on my wrist tonight. I think I'm making the right decision in passing, however, as I'm trying to give this delayed gratification thing a try.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh... my AD just called me to inform me that they have a new GMT BLNR in stock. I say "ugh" because I made the decision to pass on this watch a couple of weeks back in lieu of either buying a regular GMT and saving $3,000 in the process or holding out for a few months and seeing if I have the funds for an AP. That said, it's frustrating to know that I'm a mere 2 miles away from a BLNR and could have one on my wrist tonight. I think I'm making the right decision in passing, however, as I'm trying to give this delayed gratification thing a try.
Stay strong and stay the course. There must be a good reason why you made this choice.

If you really wanted this one instead you would have made a different decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads