• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbln79

Reaction score
Just messing around:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As overly general as that may be, I cannot completely disagree. Classic Ariel article.

Also, I went to a local watch shop today, which is a Rolex AD. Finally saw a black dialed Daytona. I have to say... I am pretty darn smitten. Just looked phenomenal on my wrist. I have never really understood the allure, but what an incredibly solid feeling watch. It just handles so nice as well.

Cylon

Reaction score
Ive decided I must investigate both panerais and daytonas

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ive decided I must investigate both panerais and daytonas

Women love Panerai
Kate Upton is a Woman
Kate Upton loves Panerai

I buy Panerai

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women love Panerai
Kate Upton is a Woman
Kate Upton loves Panerai

I buy Panerai

Although I have yet to own a Panerai, I cannot - much like Cylon's post a few pages back - deny the irrefutable logic of this post.

papa kot

Reaction score

papa kot

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. the condition or the 'accuracy' of the watch is less important to me than the year. I am trying to create a heirloom that my father would have bought for the occasion of my birth. Long story....

Then reach out to Jacek from hqmiltion.com. I am sure he'll be able to find something.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"End of Days" AP ROO! Boom!

Ahnold looking SERIOUS in "End of Days"! Boom Boom!

I am not a big fan of AP ROO but this piece in titanium somehow seems very attractive to me, as portrayed in this picture. Why is that?

Boom! Boom! Boom!

(I am not sure why I ended up liking and using the term "Boom!" recently)

But seriously speaking, this is on offer right now for me. I am sorely tempted, but I am belatedly - after the splurge from November through March - exercising my willpower.

Rolex Double Red Sea Dweller Mark IV ref 1665 baby! Ugh, so tempting.
Still not a fan of the ROO, even the End of Days Edition. Still there is no denying its iconic in the AP collecting world, and it really got collectors interested in AP's limited editions. Unfortunately, in recent years they have gone crazy releasing limited edition Offshores that seem to commemorate things nearly as uninspiring as opening a new tube of toothpaste. And even with hot models wearing them, Offshores generally do not interest me.

As for the Double Red SD, what a stunner! Don't deny yourself...that is one hot watch!!!
"Iconic" pic of Charlize at a Lakers game wearing a DSSD:

Lovely pic of Charlize getting all passionate about the game - while some guy with a PP Aquanaut sits beside her, most likely thinking horrible thoughts.
Charlize is pure HOTNESS! Still I don't like the DSSD, and I don't like it on her.
Hahaha. Know exactly where this is. Been in there a few times to see the hedgies.

Right next to Watches Of Switzerland. Dangerous work address!
Nice Tank Francaise Chronograph.
Personally (2cent alert), I'd prefer a date bubble. I can't--never could--handle the "flat" date window on SD but this is still a beautiful pic
I've never minded the old vintage SD without cyclops, but in a way it does look like something is missing on the DR SD without it. Maybe I'm just so conditioned to seeing that overall look with a cyclops as I've seen more photos and a few Red Subs in person. I've never seen a DR SD in person.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admit a GMT could also be an option.  Although I don't like the Jubilee bracelet very much.  But then we get into GMT options - vintage "Pepsi", "Coke", new black'n'blue?  I really don't know.  Anyway, academic for now, but maybe if someone accepts the consultancy proposal I'm currently writing - I will then consult with you!

**ignoring Cylon deliberately**

The great thing with the older version is that you have so many more options. I also have the oyster bracelet and could easily get the black and the red/black insert if I wanted.

Yeah, I reckon the GMT is a worthy buy only if you getting the 2 tone version, or if you can to different time zones. A SUB is perfect for every occasion.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entertaining, but a lot of fluff. What does this mean "Next to Rolex, Patek is the top high end brand in the world..." I have been a huge fan of Rolex for years, and I enjoy wearing them, but I've never thought of Rolex and Patek being in the same catagory as top high end brands. Patek, Lange, AP, VC, Piaget, and some JLCs, yes...Rolex I see them in a completely different catagory. I will say one thing I have noticed that was somewhat accurate is that several Cartier owners I know are very artistic (which is something I had not considered until reading the article). While I found the article amusing I thought there was not much value in the article.

Also, I went to a local watch shop today, which is a Rolex AD. Finally saw a black dialed Daytona. I have to say... I am pretty darn smitten. Just looked phenomenal on my wrist. I have never really understood the allure, but what an incredibly solid feeling watch. It just handles so nice as well.
I've owned at least 1 Daytona in some form or other since 1994, and they never fail to put a smile on my face or impress me. I used one as a daily wearer for 5 years, it was dead on accurate (maybe the most accurate watch I ever owned), banged the hell out of it, and sold it for nearly twice what I paid for it when they were nearly impossible to get brand new. Kept some of the money and used the rest to buy another one at list price.

A quick photo of the last one I purchased new back in 2005.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The message about Patek, Rolex and JLC is spot on, especially for those who want to do business in Asia.

Personally, I can care less about the other brands. I would not consider Cartier a watch manufacturer, regardless of how many in-house movements they make unless they can sustain and focus on this business for a long, long time.
Sorry, but your statement about Cartier seems groundless or as though you are not very familiar with the brand. Cartier is one of the largest watch manufacturers in the world. Often only out done in production by Rolex. Are you aware they made their first watch before Rolex existed? Cartier has made wrist watches now for more than 100 years and I think they will be in this business for a very long time. I think their choice to employ movements from ETA in many of their main stream watches, is based on their desire to cover a large variety of budgets. However, they make several watches with inhouse movements, and some of their other high end watches have used movements from Piaget, JLC, F.Piguet, and THA.

If you are faulting them because some of their watches do not use in house movements, IMHO, that's just silly. Is Rolex a real watch manufacturer because their watches are made in house? Oh wait a minute not all of them are made in house, they gave their lesser line of ETA powered watches a different name, Tudor. Oh and don't forget until cal 4130 came out around 2000/2001, all of their chronographs used outsourced movements. In addition, many of their products from the 1930s have cases and movements similar to Gruen, why, because both used the same suppliers. Rolex largely became a company making their watches completely in house by eventually purchasing the suppliers for their cases, bracelets, movements and other components. Nothing wrong with that, I adore Rolex, but one should not forget they haven't not always been a "Manufacturer." Not to mention, some Cartiers are more finely finished than a Rolex (even when not using an inhouse movement). In addition, the Patek, AP, and VC, Breguet, and BP have all used outside sources for their movements, particular chronographs (Patek only recently started making their own chronograph movements). In addition, Omega, Breitling, and IWC until recently all relied heavily on Valjoux 7750s and ETA movements. While I understand the term manufacturer, and that today's collectors prefer watches use inhouse movements when possible, however I don't think that is a measure of a brand's importance in the world of horology, nor do I think you can say Cartier is not a watch manufacturer or is any less of a manufacturer ( than Rolex, AP, Breguet, VC etc), when many great companies still use movements made by outside sources.

If you don't like Cartier I can accept that, but your statement about not considering them a manufacturer is silly.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You know, I certainly understand now where you are coming from when you speak so fondly of the Daytona. It has such a reassuring feel to it! It is definitely something I would purchase down the road. But I tried the whole run of modern Rolexes on today, and that was really the only one that sung to me. The maxi cases on the sub and GMT just did not really feel right. The GMT masked it better, but on my very flat wrist, it just kind of had a pancake feel to it. I really like the look of the Explorer I on me as well, but the hands have always kind of bothered me. The Daytona though... I really do get it. I have never been the strongest advocate of the Daytona, but I think I have changed my mind. I also like the Explorer II and Milgauss, but they definitely did not feel as consistent on the wrist.

And +1 to whatever you just said about Cartier. Never get between the Dino and his Cartier :fistbump:

Lovely picture by the way.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
missed a lot of good action today and too tired to properly read all the posts. :(

wurger, ddd and dbln79, great sots.

SF/TWAT meetup in nashville. myself, dereks and dcg. yes, that is me with teh donald duck tee shirt and a 112. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads