1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

I don't think Nautilus models on leather straps necessarily look bad. Even a thick 5980R on a strap looked quite good to me when I tried it on - even though I'm not hungering for one.

I guess I wanted to find out why you think an Aquanaut would necessarily look better on a leather strap if you think a Nautilus looks bad on one. I don't follow.

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

^^^^ Right. I must be an odd man to have gotten some thrill out of my first nice watch getting glances.

And hey, I have nothing technically against Rolex Per Se. I think they're fantastic watches. I just have a thing against brand recognition. As far as "Style" is concerned, I consider it a crutch. But, as they say, you can't account for taste and everyone's motivations are their own.

3. robw

robw Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are going with this. If you have a problem with brand recognition as you say, an Omega was NOT the watch to get.

After Rolex, Omega may be the largest/most well known Swiss watch brand, and it has been making watches for a long time. Then you have recent several Olympics sponsorships Including Sochi, the James Bond movies, celebrity endorsements I have seen in any number of magazines and so forth. There are other brands that are way more under the radar you could have chosen.

You can enjoy your watch without all the pontificating to justify why. We are all friends here, I think.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Perhaps its what you expressed in your earlier post. Yes you shared your enjoyment of wear a new watch, but with a few disguised jabs (at Rolex owners and Fidelity workers). Maybe that part was supposed to be funny, but doesn't translate so well in writing? If you simply said, "Oh, I went out last night and my friends really liked my new watch. I really love my new Speedy." I would simply say, "Congrats. Great choice of watch, enjoy it."

Instead you wrote a post, giving yourself credit because "you can do without all the attention" (that supposedly goes with owning a Rolex), after you just bragged about "Curiously impressing" people [through your choice of watch]. I don't work for Fidelity, but that little dig at people who work there was cute too....hopefully no one else here works for them.

I really like sharing in someone's excitement and fun concerning a new watch purchase. However, I don't think enjoying a watch requires some indirect insults to owners of other brands or maybe your employer's competitor.

As for brand recognition... do your really think Omega isn't a well known brand. Over the years I've seen tons of their ads in print and on billboards etc. There used to be tons of Omega billboards around Boston and Providence. You aren't wearing something from a small less well known brand like Peter Speake-Marin, Urwerk, Moser, or Nomos. Omega is a big company, and is well known at the very least for their Moonwatch and Seamaster. As for brand recognition, being a crutch, maybe yes, maybe no. If its all due to advertising, but the product is shoddy, then yes. If its brand recognition is attached to a company being a pioneer in a field, and a brand by which others are measured, then I think not. Remember, its always easy for a company to make something different, making something that's better is tough. I guess I don't hold it against a company if they are successful in their field, and recognized for making good products, which end up being purchased by lots of people...ymmv.

2 people like this.
  5. manlai

manlai Member

I feel like Omega does much more advertising, as they sponsor everything under the sun. Strangely enough, I probably see about 10 Rolexes "in the wild" to every 1 Omega. I assume the latter could be what he meant by brand recognition. I'm more Omega guy myself, but that's just because I love my fairly obscure x33 and constantly on the lookout to buy up the world's stock of them. I love the look of the tourbillon style, but it is a pain to use as an actual watch. Someone gave me a Memorigin Auspicious as a Christmas gift and the movement is quite beautiful - although there's a part of me that wished he would've gotten me the Batman one :p

1 person likes this.
  6. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

I buy watches that grab me. What grabs me is look, history and even, yes, price (and, undoubtedly, various other factors, too). I don't care if others wear it or like it or if it's ubiquitous or not ubiquitous etc. etc. That's just bum fluff, and it doesn't interest me. I like both Rolex and Omega (and other watch brands, both affordable and unaffordable to me). If it grabs me, it grabs me, regardless of its name, brand etc.

2 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I've actually been looking for a vintage automatic omega for a formal watch. Not too seriously though.

Just something simple with no day or date.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  9. TheWraith

+1

In that vein, I just bought a vintage Rolex Oysterdate manual wind which should be arriving soon.

1 person likes this.
  10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Dino - I couldn't agree with you more. Well said! Admittedly I came late to the Rolex game and I'm not ashamed to admit I had many of the apprehensions talked about when discussing Rolex ownership. I'm not ashamed because I can admit I was wrong about many of them. When I bought my Deepsea I mentioned to my wife that it's not exactly the most popular Rolex model. When she asked why I told her many feel it's too big, not true to the classic Rolex design, etc. etc. She looked at me like I was being stupid and said "Who cares? Look, why can't people just appreciate that it's a great looking watch and that it's incredibly well made?" Though very simplistic I think it resonated with me for some reason. Anyways back to the topic of Omega v. Rolex. There's plenty of room in the stable for both IMO [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. ridethecliche

Those are all too rich for my taste at the moment, but I'm saving slash looking. Even something from a different brand with that style... But man those watches are built supremely well.

And damn those are all gorgeous.

I figure since I won't wear a formal watch much, I should get an auto without day/date. But those are so nice, I'll probably wear them all the time. Leather irritates my skin sometimes though. I get contact dermititis from it sometimes. It could have just been a crappy strap though.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Elegant, classic and timeless (or any combination of the 3) have to be the most awful copy in fashion/watch advertising.

13. ridethecliche

Why's that?

They define those 60's-70's era formal watches pretty well. They still work well and fit the situation they were designed for. 4 decades is pretty timeless, no?

14. Kid Nickels

I really dig this one.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. Kid Nickels

Thank goodness that's not my industry.

16. ridethecliche

I guess I can see the irony of calling a watch timeless.

2 people like this.
  17. TheWraith

My (soon to arrive) Rolex looks almost the same as that. Yes, it's a timeless, classic and simple look, I quite agree.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

rnguy,

Thank you for your kind words, for sharing your your wife's words of wisdom, for sharing your Rolex experience, and the great photo of your Deep-Sea with one of its roommates, the Speedmaster. I love seeing watches from competing brands in the same collection. I also enjoy chatting with owners of both, because they often have a perspective that die hard Rolex or die hard Omega fans may not be able to see. I also think its great when people throw away concerns about what others will think of their watches or of them for wearing certain watches. When we do this we express our own sense of style and it opens up many more avenues for the direction in which to take our respective watch collections.

While I can appreciate collections dedicated to just one brand, I really like a variety of brands, and many years ago goal as a collector become to try to have at least one example of each great watch brand. Obviously, between the costs of the hobby, lots of new independents, and at times getting side tracked by purchasing more than one piece from a few companies, I can see it is not a goal I am likely to ever reach. However, we can and should have our dreams. I've always liked the idea of having a diverse collection with a few pieces from competing brands. Competing brands often look at a task differently, approach it differently and come to different but brilliant solutions.

We all have different tastes and preferences, and that is what makes this such a great hobby and thread to visit. I did want to mention that I don't have a problem with people hating Rolex or other nice brands (as it leaves more of them for me [​IMG]). In the end, we are pretty lucky to have a rather diverse group of collectors here who can appreciate a wide variety of brands.

3 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I am holding out for a rose gold Royal Oak Offshore Tourbillon. When I wear it, people will immediately be able to recognise me as a successful hiphop artist. Although I might change the rubber strap for something special, like panda.

3 people like this.
  20. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

I was going to include some stock photos of Nautili with straps for this post, but my Google image search only turned up fakes. I'm serious.

To me the Nautilus strap is too wide and is essentially more of a wristband then a watch on a band. The strap overwhelms the watch, which should basically never happen. And that points to the fact that the bracelet is an integral part of the Nautilus design.

On the other hand, the Aquanaut is an analog to the Nautilus but made specifically for a strap. At least in my humble opinion, it makes more sense for an exotic skin strap to be the luxury option for the Aquanaut as opposed to a bracelet.

Anyways I see the Aquanaut and the Nautilus as two variants of the same design: one is designed to go with a bracelet, the other is designed to go on straps.

With regard to the Rolex versus Omega thing: I suspect a lot of Rolex' leg up is due to the fact that as a brand it was cultivated for English-language consumers. If you think about it, Rolex is basically a British brand, that happens to manufacture in Switzerland. And given that so much marketing in the past century was driven by entertainment media, it's only natural that Rolex would be on top, dominating an English language entertainment driven market.

In any case the new version of Rolex versus Omega argument is the Rolex versus Grand Seiko argument. If you don't believe me check out the watch forums. Please, no links to Archie Luxury.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.