• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
1500 pages! Had to post something....so, Happy Friday.

You may resume.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think your example presumes that everyone would purchase a brand new flashy car, all blinged out with 20 in chrome rims, wings, spoilers, etc. A car person could say, well who wants some goofy, oversized, overprice rubberized hunk of jewelry...thinking that you would buy something like a multicolor Hublot.   Just as you chose a pre owned Lange, someone could choose a pre-owned classic car that isn't all blinged out, and have something that isn't headed down the depreciation curve.  In fact some classics are either quite stable or go up in value.    Sure when I see someone driving a totally tricked out MB, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, etc I think what a waste of a car and the driver must be an attention seeking goofball.  However, when I see a beautiful car older car on the road on a sunny day, I just enjoy looking at it, and I appreciate the effort it takes to keep something like that looking and running its best.  

As for value during someone's life time or passing it on, have you seen what a Ferrari 250GTO goes for today?  I saw an interview, a guy bought one in the 1970s, for about $12,000 and the motor wasn't running.  He had it fixed and drove it for a few years.  He sold it for I think $50K in the late 1970s to finance some other venture and figured he would buy it back or buy another.  He said he never figured it would become so valuable that he would not be able to buy it back.  Today...if you can find one that an owner will part with they are about $30-35 Million.  Even a 1964 Aston Martin DB5, which could have been bought used in the 1980s for about $20-25K....those are now $500-600K all day long.

I can see what people appreciate about cars and watches, provided they are the right watches and cars.  

solid point. however, you have not answered the question. though im not sure how relevant it is to you, lol. ;)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mah man!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Since we're just spitballin' here....I ripped this from Car & Driver's website:

"Bentley announced pricing of its 2013 Continental GT V-8 and GTC V-8 today at the New York auto show. [....] The Continental GT V-8 coupe starts at $176,725 and the Continental GTC V-8 convertible will command a $195,125 base price, which includes a $1000 gas-guzzler tax that the coupe isn’t subject to...."

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ dino - thanks for elaborating on the metal differences. i was on my phone posting before bed and was too lazy to write it out.
shog[1].gif
No worries mah man...
fistbump.gif

solid point. however, you have not answered the question. though im not sure how relevant it is to you, lol.
wink.gif
I think I have to plead the 5th or recuse myself from making a determination.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some random thoughts about our ongoing conversation (but im too lazy to dig up quotes)

I am pretty sure I am responding to our dear brother No Frills, but I could be mistaken

1. the picture of the platinum nautilus on the sleeve is the first time ive ever liked that watch (damn you)

2. The appeal of a no date sub? Going waay back to the Forbes article on 3 types or 3 stages of rolex ownership, I used to be in the camp of eh rolex is overrated blahblahblah. Now my thoughts have changed. While Rolex may cater to flashier types, there is an undeniable truth the submariner is a beautiful watch. The longevity alone should tell us something else is going on here--that its more than a passing fad.

I only realized this when I saw it in the wild at a restaurant, and then when I tried it on. Now mind you, I do not like the newer versions with the wide lugs and the ceramic bezel. I am talking about older ones with slim lugs (think 5513, 1680, 14060) and the beauty lies in the proportions. Its really perfect. The appeal of the no date sub is contained right there. Symmetry is an integral part of the overall balance/proportions. While at the same time, the date bubble is iconic, there is something about the unspoiled dial of a perfectly balanced submariner that is just....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Moreover, I think within a broader context, you can get a date window on ANOTHER rolex, (in my case a pepsi GMT, or in yours a DSSD) and save the symmetry for a no date sub. This is more applicable to collector than a one time purchaser, but I thought id just throw this out there.

Cylon - thanks for elucidating your thoughts so well on the lovely symmetry of a no-date Sub. Captures my not-so-latent feelings perfectly. I am not enamored of the date bubble on my end, so that doesn't help the cause of date Subs.

And yes, I will take full responsibility for your damnation regarding the Nautilus...

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your example presumes that everyone would purchase a brand new flashy car, all blinged out with 20 in chrome rims, wings, spoilers, etc. A car person could say, well who wants some goofy, oversized, overprice rubberized hunk of jewelry...thinking that you would buy something like a multicolor Hublot. Just as you chose a pre owned Lange, someone could choose a pre-owned classic car that isn't all blinged out, and have something that isn't headed down the depreciation curve. In fact some classics are either quite stable or go up in value. Sure when I see someone driving a totally tricked out MB, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, etc I think what a waste of a car and the driver must be an attention seeking goofball. However, when I see a beautiful car older car on the road on a sunny day, I just enjoy looking at it, and I appreciate the effort it takes to keep something like that looking and running its best.

As for value during someone's life time or passing it on, have you seen what a Ferrari 250GTO goes for today? I saw an interview, a guy bought one in the 1970s, for about $12,000 and the motor wasn't running. He had it fixed and drove it for a few years. He sold it for I think $50K in the late 1970s to finance some other venture and figured he would buy it back or buy another. He said he never figured it would become so valuable that he would not be able to buy it back. Today...if you can find one that an owner will part with they are about $30-35 Million. Even a 1964 Aston Martin DB5, which could have been bought used in the 1980s for about $20-25K....those are now $500-600K all day long.

I can see what people appreciate about cars and watches, provided they are the right watches and cars.

A great question re: $200K car versus $50K watch. I fear that I cannot relate much as I have not owned a car in 15 years... ever since I started living in big cities with decent public transportation networks (Philadelphia and New York).

My wallet is, however, very thankful that I haven't fallen under the spell of cars... Shiyeez.

Good points as always, Dino944, about "the right watches and cars."

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rnguy001 - wow, this ad actually really did run for Aston Martin?

Reminds me of one of the ads from "Crazy People" (1990) starring Dudley Moore and Daryl Hannah:

okay a little topical cause we segued into cars

But this was the controversial ad for AM, and someone out there was wondering if it would make a good advertisement for pre-owned watches. I'm ashamed to admit it came from a mind of a Paneristi (not me though!!)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First post to say how very much I enjoy this thread. And not just the candid photographs.
mwink[1].gif

Hope I can make an occasional contribution -- this is my beater, which I've worn at least a couple days a week over the 10 or so years since my wife gave it to me. Was by far the nicest thing I'd ever owned in my life at that point. I'm a big guy, but it's never felt too small at 36 mm and I enjoy the simplicity and consistency of the hands and batons. Also like that the dial has the faintest hint of gold in it (exaggerated here by the lousy white balance in the lousy phone photo, sorry), which every now and then has made me think of putting it on a brown strap. But I think I'll keep it how I got it.

Thanks again. I've learned a lot lurking around here and had a few good chuckles along the way!

Welcome, Omega Male. I "came out" from the "lurking closet" a few months ago after reading every page of this thread - learned a lot, laughed too, and continue to learn from the amazing peeps here.

36mm for the win! Almost all of my watches are 36mm and I think it wears fine on me, although to be fair my wrist is eensy weensy at 6.25". Beater looks great for a 10 year old piece that's used often!

... and to how to rapidly purchase two Patek grand complications within a span of a couple months (do I even need to say who, hmmm
biggrin.gif
).

Nuke, this can't possibly be me because when my wallet read your post it LOL'd and said "ha! If only it were two."
baldy[1].gif

But seriously speaking - good peeps in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads