• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ohhh I like this one and I haven't seen it.  She has that goth/zombie look here given the B&W pic and the eye shading, which is appealing to me hehehe. 

thought youd liek that.

And Stitchy: :thumbs-up:

:cheers:

And the Nautilus will never break your heart.

truth.

which reminds me, i mentioned something similar to the following to derek, and wanted to ask ya'll the same.

if someone offered you any car you wanted, up to 200k, or any watch you wanted up to 50k, what would you choose? and no, you cant sell the car or the watch.

hands down id get the watch. without a second thought.

Last edited:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thought youd liek that.
:cheers:
truth.

which reminds me, i mentioned something similar to the following to derek, and wanted to ask ya'll the same.

if someone offered you any car you wanted, up to 200k, or any watch you wanted up to 50k, what would you choose? and no, you cant sell the car or the watch.

Agreed completely. What would that one watch be though?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

truth.

If we are talking about £s. The McLaren MP4-12C it's only £168,500 and I could easily work up £35,000 of extras.

Cylon

Reaction score
Some random thoughts about our ongoing conversation (but im too lazy to dig up quotes)

I am pretty sure I am responding to our dear brother No Frills, but I could be mistaken

1. the picture of the platinum nautilus on the sleeve is the first time ive ever liked that watch (damn you)

2. The appeal of a no date sub? Going waay back to the Forbes article on 3 types or 3 stages of rolex ownership, I used to be in the camp of eh rolex is overrated blahblahblah. Now my thoughts have changed. While Rolex may cater to flashier types, there is an undeniable truth the submariner is a beautiful watch. The longevity alone should tell us something else is going on here--that its more than a passing fad.

I only realized this when I saw it in the wild at a restaurant, and then when I tried it on. Now mind you, I do not like the newer versions with the wide lugs and the ceramic bezel. I am talking about older ones with slim lugs (think 5513, 1680, 14060) and the beauty lies in the proportions. Its really perfect. The appeal of the no date sub is contained right there. Symmetry is an integral part of the overall balance/proportions. While at the same time, the date bubble is iconic, there is something about the unspoiled dial of a perfectly balanced submariner that is just....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Moreover, I think within a broader context, you can get a date window on ANOTHER rolex, (in my case a pepsi GMT, or in yours a DSSD) and save the symmetry for a no date sub. This is more applicable to collector than a one time purchaser, but I thought id just throw this out there.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gosh, that is a tough one Stitch. I am going to have to say watch in this instance. But that is primarily due to maintenance costs. I have a feeling that maintaining a $200,000 vehicle is no joke.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some random thoughts about our ongoing conversation (but im too lazy to dig up quotes)

I am pretty sure I am responding to our dear brother No Frills, but I could be mistaken

1. the picture of the platinum nautilus on the sleeve is the first time ive ever liked that watch (damn you)

2. The appeal of a no date sub? Going waay back to the Forbes article on 3 types or 3 stages of rolex ownership, I used to be in the camp of eh rolex is overrated blahblahblah. Now my thoughts have changed. While Rolex may cater to flashier types, there is an undeniable truth the submariner is a beautiful watch. The longevity alone should tell us something else is going on here--that its more than a passing fad.

I only realized this when I saw it in the wild at a restaurant, and then when I tried it on. Now mind you, I do not like the newer versions with the wide lugs and the ceramic bezel. I am talking about older ones with slim lugs (think 5513, 1680, 14060) and the beauty lies in the proportions. Its really perfect. The appeal of the no date sub is contained right there. Symmetry is an integral part of the overall balance/proportions. While at the same time, the date bubble is iconic, there is something about the unspoiled dial of a perfectly balanced submariner that is just....
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Moreover, I think within a broader context, you can get a date window on ANOTHER rolex, (in my case a pepsi GMT, or in yours a DSSD) and save the symmetry for a no date sub. This is more applicable to collector than a one time purchaser, but I thought id just throw this out there.

I despise the date bubble on Rolexs. In fact, I don't like dates on watches, generally. The date bubble is why I would never get a sub, but once you take away the bubble, it is the perfect sport watch.

Cylon

Reaction score
wait i dont think a DSSD has a bubble right?

SO NEVERMIND

youll just have to buy another watch no frills
nest.gif

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
TL;DR - at first glance the submariner is kind of boring, but once you see the beauty of the proportions it all makes sense.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

Me too, and here's why:

A $200k car looks like a $200k car. Even in a subtle colour, without any extraneous badges, spoilers or other nonsense, it looks to everyone you drive past, everyone in the mall car park or traffic jam, and everyone who passes your house or place of work, like a $200k car. It's an announcement to the whole world that you have $200k to blow on something you probably can't use to a quarter of its capacity, just because. Essentially, it is a bold and ostentatious declaration of uber-doucheness.

However, with my $50k, I will set Sherlock Stitch to work to find me a dream deal on a dream used platinum Lange. Not only will it bring me enormous pleasure, and get used to its full purpose, only I, a small group of TWATters, and certain close friends who might be interested, will know it cost $50k. What's more, unlike the douchemobile, it will not depreciate by 80% in the next few years, and is likely to become even more desirable and even more valuable during my, my son's, and God willing, my grandsons' lifetimes.

Yep, done deal. Did I win?

If not, I'll take a no date Sub very happily too, new or vintage I don't care. Although ironically, as it's so iconic, it would be far more noticeably ostentatious to most people than my $50k dream above...

By the way, could any of you supermen spare $3 for Cancer Research and sponsor my daughter? Just click below; thanks. :)

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
However, with my $50k, I will set Sherlock Stitch to work to find me a dream deal on a dream used platinum Lange. Not only will it bring me enormous pleasure, and get used to its full purpose, only I, a small group of TWATters, and certain close friends who might be interested, will know it cost $50k. What's more, unlike the douchemobile, it will not depreciate by 80% in the next few years, and is likely to become even more desirable and even more valuable during my, my son's, and God willing, my grandsons' lifetimes.

Yep, done deal. Did I win? :)
Wait, we're allowed to get a used watch? ****.

staxringold

Reaction score
A $200k car doesn't have to look ostentatious. It only has to look that way if you go ultra-sporty. GT cars, ultra-lux (Rolls, Bentley) and the like look nice (just like a hyper expensive watch) but you have to know what you're looking at to really know what it costs.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I did consider that, but couldn't think immediately of a $200k car that wasn't recognisable as such. Now I think about it, maybe a S65 with the badges removed would fit the bill.

But..I think I'd still get more pleasure and value from the watch. :)

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd take the car. Douche-y or not, the R8 V10 with all the trimmings trumps any Lange or Patek or Dufour for me right now...

just my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics