• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Titanium is easy to distinguish by both look and weight/feel. WG/SS/Plat are all pretty close on looks brand new, though they show wear differently, but by weight/feel you can tell them apart.

I cant imagine paying 75k for a current production Rolex.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is one helluva collection

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it's the first time, I haven't found a PAM to be huge looking, are they all aporx. 45mm.
For me, if I had the means this would be endgame:
slight amendment to the picture, the Lange 1 would be moonphase
WW.TC's are not that expensive unless, its platinum or something like that. I don't have an end game watch, as I know myself well enough to know it won't last. Speaking of endgame, this is pretty insane. http://watch-anish.com/watchanish-x-seddiqi-sons-vip-collectors-event-duabi/

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are pics from Xavier ("foversta") of PuristSPro from a recent Patek event in Paris that I just had to share. A bunch of us love the Nautilus 5711/1A of course. So here's a lovely shot of one guest wearing a Nautilus:
And then... BAM: See that diamond in the bottom? That's right. That's a 5711 in frigging platinum.
I don't even know how much this might cost - I don't see any references in the secondary market. Special order perhaps? Limited run from a few years back? This is kind of like running into Clark Kent and seeing him open that shirt and reveal an "S." (By the way, it's not an "S." In my world, it means hope) Anyway, this is interesting because for many folks it's difficult to distinguish between a stainless steel watch and a platinum piece... assuming the finishing is similar. From the first picture alone I couldn't tell that this was anything other than a regular 5711/1A. You don't get "bragging rights" necessarily for sporting a 5711 in platinum, since most folks won't notice - but you know what's on your wrist, and I suppose that's all that matters.
Platinum Nautilus... holy crap! Audemars Piguet made a handful of the Royal Oak Jumbo in element number 78, too, and one of those weighs in around 220 grams, which is similar to Rolex's new Pt.D. The local shop is getting a few of those blue-dialed Daytonas in, and I'm looking forward to trying one on just for the hell of it.
I'm generally not a fan of the RO Offshore, but the Scuba, particularly when on a bracelet is quite nice.
The one in your photo doesn't seem to come up for sale all that much these days. Its the limited edition City of Sails. It was only sold on a rubber strap. However, I think several people have bought a regular 39mm ROC on a bracelet and then bought a rubber strap and deployant to add to it. Quote: Hey, back in the late 1990s, the list price on new steel Nautilus watches was about $9700. ADs were regularly discounting and selling them for $6K. I didn't like the large model that was out at the time, it was a 3710 with commet torque indicator, plain black dial and roman numerals...but looking back if I had done the deal I could have just made an even swap with it for a 5711/A1.
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
I love the Lange 1, particularly the L1 Moonphase! I will have to see it in person. Still, from
my previous experience of wearing a Daytona with polished center link as a daily wearer for 5 years...the polished surfaces over time do show lots of small scratches and every finger print. The brushed surfaces hide them to a large degree. Oh well, still looking forward to seeing a new blue black GMT in person.
The diver's model in steel is my favourite of the Offshore range (although that isn't saying much), and it seems like a good application for their gorgeous 3120 movement. I prefer the 15300/15400, but it would be difficult to get that one of those over the superb 15202. So the diver's model doesn't seem like such a bad way to go for a 3120, other than the rubber bits.
There's a good technical write-up on it that's worth reading for anyone who's considering that watch, or is simply interested in what makes these things... tick ...
PCLs — I'd prefer the current GMT II with a fully-brushed finish, but I wouldn't the polished part of the bracelet put me off a great watch. The steel Daytona has become my favourite watch to wear, but there's no doubt that the centre links show everything. However, any marks it might pick up are far more obvious in photos and on one's own wrist. Swapping watches with someone else is a good way to see how it actually looks, and shows you just how unnoticeable the scuffs really are. It's an absolutely great watch to wear, and after half a year, its 3-day power reserve has run down about twice... which tells you how neglected some of my other stuff is. The 4130 movement has been scary-accurate, too. On the other extreme, the Reverso has barely been worn, especially after the cushion-case GP showed up. Its thickness, complexity and all-polished case make for a watch that I'm a bit more conscious of wearing than others. Or maybe it's just not my style. But the Daytona is an easy choice, since I find that the only rule of wearing it is that there aren't really any rules. It goes with anything, whether clothing- or activity-wise.
If I had any sense, I'd dump everything else go with those two... though it would be too tough to narrow it down to one. By the way, this thread has blown up lately; I go away for a couple days and there are about 400 unread posts! It's difficult to keep up, but there's been some amazing stuff showing up... like this:
Indeed. But a collection is best shown on the ... wrist, I think. :satisfied:

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Here are pics from Xavier ("foversta") of PuristSPro from a recent Patek event in Paris that I just had to share. A bunch of us love the Nautilus 5711/1A of course. So here's a lovely shot of one guest wearing a Nautilus: And then... BAM: See that diamond in the bottom? That's right. That's a 5711 in frigging platinum. I don't even know how much this might cost - I don't see any references in the secondary market. Special order perhaps? Limited run from a few years back? This is kind of like running into Clark Kent and seeing him open that shirt and reveal an "S." (By the way, it's not an "S." In my world, it means hope) Anyway, this is interesting because for many folks it's difficult to distinguish between a stainless steel watch and a platinum piece... assuming the finishing is similar. From the first picture alone I couldn't tell that this was anything other than a regular 5711/1A. You don't get "bragging rights" necessarily for sporting a 5711 in platinum, since most folks won't notice - but you know what's on your wrist, and I suppose that's all that matters.
what. the. ****.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
because its awesome?

Yes, I have a strong suspicion that this is indeed the reason.
marchal.gif

what. the. ****.

RE: Nautilus in platinum. inorite. The PuristSPro mod has basically confirmed that yes, this is the first time we've seen definitive pictures of (a) its existence and (b) on the internet, and not just passed around via some smartphone with hushed tones.

If I had seen that in the wild - even in a Patek-sponsored event, expecting mega-collectors to come bearing nukes (not you, Nukecomer hehe - love the nick btw) on their wrists - I'd still feel like going to a nondescript water park and then seeing Kate Upton in a bikini... Or less than that.

I know, I'm reaching a bit with the analogies but I just had to find some excuse to post that haha.
spam[1].gif

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GIF was a bit attenuated from overall statement, but I think that everyone will give you a pass :slayer:

I hate to say it though. If it was between Kate Upton and a platinum Nautilus. I may have to take the latter.

And Belligero, I can definitely see you rocking that platinum Daytona. It will go nicely with your Sky-Dweller!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hate to say it though. If it was between Kate Upton and a platinum Nautilus. I may have to take the latter.

less maintenance?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Indeed. But a collection is best shown on the ... wrist, I think. :satisfied:
ZOOOOOOOOOOOMG
not that is a beautiful movement.
what. the. ****.
lol, i was waiting for your comment on that. :)
Yes, I have a strong suspicion that this is indeed the reason.
marchal.gif
and you were correct!
I know, I'm reaching a bit with the analogies but I just had to find some excuse to post this GIF.
spam%5B1%5D.gif
very nice. how do you like this?

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RE: Nautilus in platinum. inorite.
The steel one ain't too shabby, either...
...and the platinum version is probably best left as a unicorn, cool though it undeniably is. If the stealth-baller thing appeals (as if a stainless Nautilus isn't enough in that department), you could always just get a quarter-kilo brick of platinum to carry around in your jacket pocket while wearing the 5711... same thing, right? :teach:
[...]And Belligero, I can definitely see you rocking that platinum Daytona. It will go nicely with your Sky-Dweller!
Wow, I didn't even know I had a Sky Dweller— sweet! I know depechedior posted one a while back, though, along with some other very nice stuff... As for me, paying MSRP for a new platinum Rolex might not be the wisest move. Also, steel is my metal. I just want check one out because of the sheer dislike it gets from some internet people. Tremendously tough to top these two, though:
They were actually pretty fun to play with.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are neat, although I don't see myself wearing them anytime soon :).

And doh! I always conflate your collection with Depeche's. Y'alls pictures always look so similar to my untrained eye.

And Stitchy: :thumbs-up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads