• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own two Carminas, and four Vass (have owned more), and to me they are really in different leagues. Carmina are really great shoes for the price, no word about it, but Vass is definitely at least one step above. Vass has better leather quality (although they do use a bit too much from each hide to be perfect, the quarters are often a bit lower in quality), better soles, real leather heel and toe stiffeners instead of leather board heel and plastic toe, better insoles, and, obviously, better construction method.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont know all that much about construction, gemming, hand welt, etc so i cant speak to the specifics however vass are some of the best built shoes ive ever handled. if EG and G&G had an uncle from the old country, it would be vass and he has bread with every meal

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also own both and agree with both former members. Vass is on a completely another level in all aspects. (Lower) price hasn't been the reason why I purchased Carminas, but the color choices and differentiating lasts in my rotation. I find the Forest, Simpson and Rain last appealing. And I've always found Vass' dark brown calf dull and a bit boring to be honest (haven't tried the museum brown yet). Color and lasts are the reasons I even try new stuff. I'm extremely satisfied with Vass construction wise, price/quality ratio etc.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah great thing is that carmina and vass two very different pricepoints and styles. they complement one another - good foundation for collection

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Vass have a brown leather that's similar to EG/G&G dark oak? I've seen Vass's dark brown in person, and it's much darker. I have a pair in antic cognac, and it's quite different. Nothing on the color chart that gets cited most often looks close. Maybe 6125 dark cognac (seems too red)? Do they have plain brown?

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does Vass have a brown leather that's similar to EG/G&G dark oak? I've seen Vass's dark brown in person, and it's much darker. I have a pair in antic cognac, and it's quite different. Nothing on the color chart that gets cited most often looks close. Maybe 6125 dark cognac (seems too red)? Do they have plain brown?
EG's Dark Oak is pretty heavily antiqued. If you want the same, you could fiddle with antik cognac until it's dark enough.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
crosspost from Recent Purchases.

Just got these MTO shoes in the mail. They are a size 43.5 on the New Peter last.

They are identical in insole and outsole length to my well-fitting C&J derbies. However, they are narrower in width and lower in height in the toebox.

Any advice on what I could do to compensate for the sizing issues on my next order? (Need more toebox width + height)

Should I order a wider fitting or go up a half size?

The length on these is PERFECT. Don't want that to change. It's just that I need more room in the toebox.

jrd617 said:

Toebox width:

Here's a picture of my foot vs. the two semi-lasted shoe trees. C&J feels like a better fit

Toebox height:

Might just keep these and see how they break in. They will feel a lot different once my feet "sink in" to the leather footbed. There should also be some stretching in the uppers.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Send this question with pictures to Vass-- perhaps a wide fitting of the F?

Last edited:

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note that the toe area does not stretch much, any at all neither will the footbed sink to make them comfortable

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Im trying to say is the sinking is minimal, more of an impression and will do lttle to help with tight toe box

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This happens on all my C&J shoes... is there something unique to Vass shoes construction that prevents the footbed from molding to a foot?

Vass footbed mold very good to foot on double sole.
In general the hand welt shoe mold more good than goodyear welt shoe.
Goodyear welt = cardboard box feel.
Hand welt = old friend feel.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members