• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't touch anything navy; its a #menswear fad like those camouflage fabric blogger short blazers back in '08.  The only acceptable navy shoes are navy suede drivers.

Wrong in so many ways :(

stmaier

Reaction score
I asked Rezsö about the Ilcea bankruptcy. Here was his reply:

"Yes, indeed. I have read it too. But I didn’t hear anything from Ilcea, not mentioned the fact that they belong to Hermés. Do you think that Hermés can be broken? :) I don’t think so. But you never know. I now only that all our orders will be delivered in September. And at the moment they are on holiday. Like all Italians :) All August."

Hopefully Ilcea is just going to be restructured and this typically does not shut down operations (slow them down, definitely). Rezsö said he would let me know if he heard anything else.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Yes, indeed. I have read it too. But I didn’t hear anything from Ilcea, not mentioned the fact that they belong to Hermés. Do you think that Hermés can be broken? :) I don’t think so. But you never know. I now only that all our orders will be delivered in September. And at the moment they are on holiday. Like all Italians :) All August."

Hopefully Ilcea is just going to be restructured and this typically does not shut down operations (slow them down, definitely). Rezsö said he would let me know if he heard anything else.

Gotta love that response.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just for the record, I was in contact with Rezso today and he had now spoken to people from Ilcea and got the bankruptcy confirmed. Although themselves hope to come back in some form, neither him or I can see that happen since they gone as far as to liquidation. But we'll see. But seems like Vass are keen to expand their leather offerings outside the original ones they had for years, and they already have some alternatives to Ilcea that they will look into.

stmaier

Reaction score
man...that is bad news...hopefully they can still get their September delivery...would love to see the Radica style alternatives...I really like that leather...

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Bk only affects the museum calf correct, not the normal leathers?

I think most of their other leathers are sourced from the French tannery Du Puy, so shouldn't be an issue.

man...that is bad news...hopefully they can still get their September delivery...would love to see the Radica style alternatives...I really like that leather...

I wouldn't count on it. I mean if they go into liquidation, then the company's hold business ends immediately. There is no company that can send out the leathers in September.

Last edited:

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to jump in on my first pair of VASS Chukkas. Reszo recommended VASS 43.5 F width on U Last. I wear 9.5UK E width G&G and Carmina 8.5UK EE width. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

stmaier

Reaction score
I
I wouldn't count on it. I mean if they go into liquidation, then the company's hold business ends immediately. There is no company that can send out the leathers in September.

The only ray of hope would be that if Vass sent a deposit for the order and there was material on hand to fulfil it then that may occur. Otherwise they might be able to buy some great leather at pennies on the dollar when the assets are sold/auctioned off.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Just based on the fact that you take an 8.5EE in Carmina suggests to me that you don't need the extra length of a Vass 43.5 F, but perhaps the extra width of a 43 G. I wear Carmina 8.5 in the Rain last and Vass 43 (U, F and K). I would not want my Vass shoes to be any longer.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping for a little sizing input. I'm emailing with Rezso about my first order. I wear UK10E in EG 888 and UK10 in Carmina Simpson. I also sent Rezso an outline of my feet with measurements. My feet are relatively narrow and I have low instep. He thinks 44.5 on the U last. I think 44 might be better based on everything that I've read. I posed this same question several months ago in this thread, but other people might be looking at it now. Thanks!

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hoping for a little sizing input. I'm emailing with Rezso about my first order. I wear UK10E in EG 888 and UK10 in Carmina Simpson. I also sent Rezso an outline of my feet with measurements. My feet are relatively narrow and I have low instep. He thinks 44.5 on the U last. I think 44 might be better based on everything that I've read. I posed this same question several months ago in this thread, but other people might be looking at it now. Thanks!

I'm about the same size as you, but with higher instep and bordering to wide feet. I have U-last in size 44,5 F and 44 G. 44G fits me best, I'd say that 44 F would fit you good, considering you have narrow feet and low instep. I think Rezsos suggestion might be a bit off if you just mentioned your regular sizes in UK, they seem to be converting things a bit weird, so you should always give them your size in EU directly.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just based on the fact that you take an 8.5EE in Carmina suggests to me that you don't need the extra length of a Vass 43.5 F, but perhaps the extra width of a 43 G.I wear Carmina 8.5 in the Rain last and Vass 43 (U, F and K). I would not want my Vass shoes to be any longer.

What's your size in G&G/EG or JL/C&J?

It seems badsha sized down but width up for his Carmina.

I am about to jump in on my first pair of VASS Chukkas. Reszo recommended VASS 43.5 F width on U Last. I wear 9.5UK E width G&G and Carmina 8.5UK EE width. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds about right. I am 9.5UK F/G width in G&G and Vass 43.5 G width on U last, as recommended by Reszo. Arch length is good.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's your size in G&G/EG or JL/C&J?

It seems badsha sized down but width up for his Carmina.

Sounds about right.  I am 9.5UK F/G width in G&G and Vass 43.5 G width on U last, as recommended by Reszo.  Arch length is good.

So basically go with Reszo's recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads